• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Ddd

Yes, I'd already bought 0.5m XLR cables with the A90 / D90 purchase, along with 0.5m RCA and 1.5m RCA powered speaker cables, but now with the noise problem I don't want to risk investing in powered speakers with RCA only inputs - even though I was trying to reduce the cost by limiting myself to that interconnect.

Now I'm down the road a bit and thinking if I am going to spend big bucks on a higher end powered speaker with XLR inputs, why not built out a more traditional AMP / speakers configuration. And, now that I am back on the path to reconfigure, it will take me a while to settle on a build. :)

Thanks, every little bit of idea and experience exchange adds to the solutions :)

No I haven't tried that myself - I don't want to risk it without confirming it works for someone else.

I've asked a few times if anyone else had tried this, used XLR between the A90 / D90 and used RCA to powered speakers - or even an intermediate amp - but noone responded with their experienced results.

I'm already out the cost of a nice set of 0.5m RCA interconnects and a 1.5m coil of RCA terminated cables I planned to connect to powered speakers. I've decided I'm not ordering RCA powered speakers without hearing someone else's experience / results first.

With the quarantine there aren't any local outlets I could bring in my A90 / D90 / cables to try an RCA connected powered speaker configuration before buying.

Going with XLR interconnects to the powered speakers or an intermediate amplifier is more of a sure thing right now, but I've only recently thought of the intermediate amp.

I was reading up on the new Brystan 4B Cubed amp, and was looking at various floor standing speakers to pair together...
https://bryston.com/amplifiers/4b3/

That would cost me a lot more than my original "inexpensive" powered near field speakers... there are hidden costs to your original "planned build" going awry. So, now I'm scaling back that thought and looking at less expensive amps and speakers.

That's why it's going to be a while before I decide what to end up getting. First I've got to wrestle with my own desires - reign in my desires once again - I had already done that nicely, but now the "horse is out the gate" again. ;)
Oh! Sorry I didn't notice it. I'll try it and update you

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the D90/A90 combo. I am using USB from my MacBook Pro, with RCA cables, RCA cables to the A90, single ended to my headphones, and RCA to my Bose powered speakers. I am also using generic RCA cables and interconnects as well as a non-boutique USB cable. I am not having any noise or ground loop problems. I have used my HD660s and IEMs. No noise. This sounds like system/usage specific problem.
If you turn that highlighted phrase around on your own configuration description, your results are system / usage specific results too.

What works doesn't invalidate what doesn't work.

I'm happy for you that your configuration is working for you. :)
Oh! Sorry I didn't notice it. I'll try it and update you
Awesome, thanks :)

Based on @GeorgeWalk's and results you experience I probably can't be assured it will work for me.

A while back I checked BestBuy to see if they'd let me set up a test to a powered speaker, but they aren't stocking much these days what with the lack of in store customers. I'd have to order and pickup and test at home and then drag it all back to return it if it doesn't work well - for other reasons than just the noise issues.

Fortunately I enjoy using headphones :)

Last edited:

auronthas

At the end of the day, it's actually about making a product than else. Just being able to reproduce pure sound is not the same as making a good product that actually makes sense in a lot of places. And one single product can't satisfy all the people.
I like discussions. No hard feelings.
And there will not be a product to suit every application, each product has their merits and demerits, choose wisely to suit your system.

Also, It depends on how your country's earthing/grounding system. The following is 230 single phase /400V three phase earthing/grounding type

earthing-concepts.gif

Last edited:

DavidBloch406

I actually think this thread becomes unfair to John Yang - not because he shouldn’t be asked questions, but because he’s too honest for his own good. Which can be nice for us ... but must be giving him ulcers.

I mean, we all come on this forum, and we see someone run his tests, and hey presto! - it’s “greatest amp ever”. End game: whatever we call it. And all we’ve really got are numbers: there’s no analysis of engineering decisions, no encouragement to consider sound quality, no real look at synergies, etc..

So then, 40-50 pages in, the queries start coming... inevitably, because there WERE engineering decisions, people DO want to know about sound, there ARE comparative questions about other amps, etc..

And John, because he’s a good guy, tries to point us in the right direction - which eventually seems to be, if you want best performance then use XLR only because the SE in our $500 amp isn’t quite as good as in our (forthcoming) $100 amp. Which, I’ve got to say, sounds weird to me - and clearly to some others.

Bottom line - I don’t think John Yang should be in this position. I think this forum’s methodology needs broadening out to acknowledge design decisions and engineering compromises. I think we need to get a little perspective with Topping, above and beyond SINAD. And I think we need to find a way to talk about listening to music - which IS the point after all. We need to balance objectivity with subjectivity without always having the same guys shut down the discussion.

Full disclosure, I live in China, own an A90 - which works great for me - and appreciate very much ASR’s honest numbers. But we need a richer discussion.

burma

Yes, I'd already bought 0.5m XLR cables with the A90 / D90 purchase, along with 0.5m RCA and 1.5m RCA powered speaker cables, but now with the noise problem I don't want to risk investing in powered speakers with RCA only inputs - even though I was trying to reduce the cost by limiting myself to that interconnect.

Now I'm down the road a bit and thinking if I am going to spend big bucks on a higher end powered speaker with XLR inputs, why not built out a more traditional AMP / speakers configuration. And, now that I am back on the path to reconfigure, it will take me a while to settle on a build. :)

Thanks, every little bit of idea and experience exchange adds to the solutions :)

No I haven't tried that myself - I don't want to risk it without confirming it works for someone else.

I've asked a few times if anyone else had tried this, used XLR between the A90 / D90 and used RCA to powered speakers - or even an intermediate amp - but noone responded with their experienced results.

I'm already out the cost of a nice set of 0.5m RCA interconnects and a 1.5m coil of RCA terminated cables I planned to connect to powered speakers. I've decided I'm not ordering RCA powered speakers without hearing someone else's experience / results first.

With the quarantine there aren't any local outlets I could bring in my A90 / D90 / cables to try an RCA connected powered speaker configuration before buying.

Going with XLR interconnects to the powered speakers or an intermediate amplifier is more of a sure thing right now, but I've only recently thought of the intermediate amp.

I was reading up on the new Brystan 4B Cubed amp, and was looking at various floor standing speakers to pair together...
https://bryston.com/amplifiers/4b3/

That would cost me a lot more than my original "inexpensive" powered near field speakers... there are hidden costs to your original "planned build" going awry. So, now I'm scaling back that thought and looking at less expensive amps and speakers.

That's why it's going to be a while before I decide what to end up getting. First I've got to wrestle with my own desires - reign in my desires once again - I had already done that nicely, but now the "horse is out the gate" again. ;)

I must have missed this. I use XLR between my D90 to A90, and XLR from the A90 to powered Adam Audio A5X speakers. But before I got my XLR cables for the A5X speakers, I used the RCA cables they came with (whatever cheap stuff they bundle them with) for a few days to connect them to the A90. No issues of any kind.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That reminds me, @JohnYang1997 any updates on the desktop speaker amps? I want to use the pre outs from my A90 :)
Core designs are kind of finished. But still a long way to go. And there may be better solution down the road. The difficulty is in the power supply and size.

Ntrax

Audio Company
Inconsistent product quality is made. Need to improve. Always room for improvement if one listen to complaints. Through complaints something great will appear eventually. Keep it up.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Inconsistent product quality is made. Need to improve. Always room for improvement if one listen to complaints. Through complaints something great will appear eventually. Keep it up.
I welcome discussion. Quite a few design choices on A90, L30 and A50s are from the community.
As I said much earlier, there will be models with external power supply, with transformer, with ground lift switch.
I won't allow people trashing on my work without knowing what's actually been through and having some actual understanding of the subject. And one of the bottom lines is that Topping is NOT my company. I do designs. Do NOT come to me and tell me I'll lose customers.

VeerK

Core designs are kind of finished. But still a long way to go. And there may be better solution down the road. The difficulty is in the power supply and size.

Yeah, I think I might have read that you were trying to use the A90/D90 chassis and I was worried about that just being too small for PSU.

Better solution? Now I’m really curious

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yeah, I think I might have read that you were trying to use the A90/D90 chassis and I was worried about that just being too small for PSU.

Better solution? Now I’m really curious
Supposedly there are three models. The first one should be the A90/D90 chassis for desktop use. The biggest one should be dual monos.

VeerK

Supposedly there are three models. The first one should be the A90/D90 chassis for desktop use. The biggest one should be dual monos.

I’m building fully digital desktop monitors, very interested in the desktop size amps, hope you can figure out good solutions

azoazo

I welcome discussion. Quite a few design choices on A90, L30 and A50s are from the community.
As I said much earlier, there will be models with external power supply, with transformer, with ground lift switch.
I won't allow people trashing on my work without knowing what's actually been through and having some actual understanding of the subject. And one of the bottom lines is that Topping is NOT my company. I do designs. Do NOT come to me and tell me I'll lose customers.

John, Thank you for answering our questions. Before A90, I was thinking of D90-HPA4-AHB2-KEF R7 as my ultimate system. Replacing HPA4 by A90 saves me money. Does Topping have any plan to develop a power amplifier with matching performance? using NFCA architecture? What the output power will be? Thank you.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
John, Thank you for answering our questions. Before A90, I was thinking of D90-HPA4-AHB2-KEF R7 as my ultimate system. Replacing HPA4 by A90 saves me money. Does Topping have any plan to develop a power amplifier with matching performance? using NFCA architecture? What the output power will be? Thank you.

HPA4 would still be a much nicer preamp, remote control with over 100 stepped near perfect analog volume control, this is one area A90 cannot compete.

Ddd

If you turn that highlighted phrase around on your own configuration description, your results are system / usage specific results too.

What works doesn't invalidate what doesn't work.

I'm happy for you that your configuration is working for you. :)

Awesome, thanks :)

Based on @GeorgeWalk's and results you experience I probably can't be assured it will work for me.

A while back I checked BestBuy to see if they'd let me set up a test to a powered speaker, but they aren't stocking much these days what with the lack of in store customers. I'd have to order and pickup and test at home and then drag it all back to return it if it doesn't work well - for other reasons than just the noise issues.

Fortunately I enjoy using headphones :)
Just tried XLR and RCA connected between D90 A90 and Preamp RCA out to my HiFi Amp Earthed present Cambridge Audio CXA 60 Amp to a Mordaunt Short Carnival 8 speaker.

Max Volume preamp out at the 9090, gain tried at L, M, H, CXA 60 also max volume (Replicate a powered speaker)
Can't seems to hear any ground loop noise at all of what i clearly heard on my Headphone setup.

So i guess is fine? @hmscott
A guy ( @burma ) before me posted he tried on a actual Powered ADAM Audio Active Speaker as well, same XLR between 9090, then A90 preamp RCA out to Adam Speaker, maybe his test would be even more accurate :)

Rigel

Hi all.

I understand people who have or may have noise problems and I feel sorry for them, but I think that it is impossible to design a specific equipment such as the A90 or another, I do not care about the brand and model, which can satisfy the Once, all the needs in terms of each person's personal design tastes and component installations so varied in our homes.

Leakage currents are common in all grounded equipment whether or not they are audio and generally PCs are literally huge generators in this case.
Especially when we work with analog signals produced by the same PC. It is inevitable that the ground / earth signal can be contaminated with the leakage currents created by the same PC depending on the installation. And that can happen with the A90 or with any other amplifier.

Luckily, I have no problems in this regard using or not using RCA connections, both through headphones and with Edifier active speakers.

I know that it should not be necessary to buy anything, but this would be a reasonable price option to solve or at least minimize the problems if we use a PC and the problem that we detect is the one that appears in the video.

For the record, I have nothing to do with iFi audio, I have simply been experimenting with USB audio for several years and tried many devices with more or less fortune in my previous systems, this included.

I don't understand anything about computer science and electronics, if I understand correctly, the problem can arise by connecting a PC via the USB port to the A90 / D90 connected via rca.
if instead they are connected via xlr the problem does not occur, right?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand anything about computer science and electronics, if I understand correctly, the problem can arise by connecting a PC via the USB port to the A90 / D90 connected via rca.
if instead they are connected via xlr the problem does not occur, right?
Correct. The key word being "can" arise.

I fear this means anybody planning to use the a90 in this config should either a) look elsewhere for an amp with an external power supply b) be prepared to use xlr instead (presume you'd only use RCA because the xlr go to a second amp /speakers) or c) take a chance on additional devices purporting to solve such issues actually doing so.

Suppose the other option is d) suck it and see.

jae

Major Contributor
Before A90, I was thinking of D90-HPA4-AHB2-KEF R7 as my ultimate system. Replacing HPA4 by A90 saves me money. Does Topping have any plan to develop a power amplifier with matching performance? using NFCA architecture? What the output power will be? Thank you.

HPA4 would still be a much nicer preamp, remote control with over 100 stepped near perfect analog volume control, this is one area A90 cannot compete.

The upcoming Pre90+A90 may get him most of the way there and be a good compromise at a fraction of the cost. Also if we're talking about saving money, replace the AHB2 with a purifi stereo build and save $3000-4000 total by not opting for any benchmark components.

burma

I noticed something, and was just curious if others have this too. When I turn the volume down to the bottom on the A90, there is still some sound, it's not muted. But as I approach the "0" value, at very low volume (and I mean very low) there is more sound coming out of the right channel. This happens on speakers connected via XLR out or the headphone SE jack out front. Is this normal behavior? Why won't both channels be equal at very, very low volume? The input is from the D90 in DAC mode via XLR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom