• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, of course.
I asked the question incorrectly.
At the XLR of the DAC, I have yes also the double output voltage

Bow_Wazoo

Yesterday I put into operation for the first time the combination of smartphone / Neutron player / USB and Topping E30 / A90 combination.

After about two hours, I had multiple interruptions in the sound (estimated the fraction of a second).
Neither the Neutron player, nor the DAC gave any indication of an interruption in the data stream.
Therefore I have the amplifier in the suspicion. But as I said, it is only a suspicion.

The error was not reproducible, but still worry me. I have been listening with the Neutron player for many years, and have had many topping devices here, but I have not experienced anything like this....

Has anyone here experienced similar?

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Thanks Bud.
My brain was probably just off.

I wonder where the power has gone.
The Mofi SACDs are mastered extremely quiet.
Then my EQ with preamp comes to -9db, and I have to turn up the A90 with the LCD-5 fully (gain high).
I did not expect this...

View attachment 205206

View attachment 205210

How about if U use balanced connection into the A90?

Had no idea LCD 5 are that demanding.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Had no idea LCD 5 are that demanding.
They aren't, at least according to Audeze's specs: 14Ω, 108.5dB/Vrms

With the E30 as DAC, the A90 in High gain, and a -9dB preamp that should give @Bow_Wazoo 121.5dB SPL peak, which is bonkers loud (I listen at 80).
I suspect there's something wrong, so I suggest troubleshooting with a multimeter.

Bow_Wazoo

As I said, my statement is to be considered in the context of the discs mastered by Mofi.
They are mastered extremely quietly.
With normal albums I turn to 1 o'clock (gain high) and have brutal levels.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ah, ok. Have you considered using replay gain to bring your tracks closer to 0dBFS?

Bow_Wazoo

Not yet. As soon as I have saved something, the E30 will be exchanged for the D30 pro.

Gagga

Hi.

Complete amp noob here, but can you listen to three different headphones at once (via DAC -> USB -> laptop) using the three outputs (XLR, 4.4 and SE), or is it only possible with max 2 headphones (using XLR and 4.4) with this amp?

inscythe

Hi.

Complete amp noob here, but can you listen to three different headphones at once (via DAC -> USB -> laptop) using the three outputs (XLR, 4.4 and SE), or is it only possible with max 2 headphones (using XLR and 4.4) with this amp?

You can run both balanced and SE at the same time, but not 2 balanced. For the balanced, it will take whichever get plugged in first if I remember correctly, so you can run 2 different headphones at the same time.

Gagga

You can run both balanced and SE at the same time, but not 2 balanced. For the balanced, it will take whichever get plugged in first if I remember correctly, so you can run 2 different headphones at the same time.
Aha, I see! I guess this is a universal rule in the world of headphone amps?

I just thought about how things like Sennheiser HDV 820 has two 4.4 mm outputs, and why it would have that if it's not possible to run two balanced at the same time. The only reason I can think of would be just in case one of them somehow stops working? Lol.

inscythe

Aha, I see! I guess this is a universal rule in the world of headphone amps?

I just thought about how things like Sennheiser HDV 820 has two 4.4 mm outputs, and why it would have that if it's not possible to run two balanced at the same time. The only reason I can think of would be just in case one of them somehow stops working? Lol.
As long as the outputs are handled by separate output stage circuits, then it is possible. In A90, the balanced and SE are separated, so you can run both together.

You will need to check with the individual amp's internal design. Some amps with balanced jacks for convenience only (actually internally SE), they may not be able to run multiple headphones when you plug them in balanced and SE jacks at the same time.

eyecent

newheadphone-20220522-204404-000.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Horn speakers with LA90 ... sure but why is there a wireless AirPod Max in the picture ? o_O
( I know they can be used wired too but does not require A90-high power levels)

cheapmessiah

Keened

Forum Donor
I like the look of the A90D and appreciate the remote control. So long as those indicator lights are orange and not super bright I think it's a very nice design. If this was available before I might have even gone for this over the SH9.

redstang

I like the look of the A90D and appreciate the remote control. So long as those indicator lights are orange and not super bright I think it's a very nice design. If this was available before I might have even gone for this over the SH9.
According to the photo in the recent Apos email i got for the D90LE (which also has the A90D powered on) the numbers are white. They were stacked together, but as the A90D isn't available for sale on the site (yet) I couldn't figure out what the heck it was. A google search later led me to this thread.

I'm not sure what the significance of 'discrete' is - discrete amps for each channel?

cheapmessiah

According to the photo in the recent Apos email i got for the D90LE (which also has the A90D powered on) the numbers are white. They were stacked together, but as the A90D isn't available for sale on the site (yet) I couldn't figure out what the heck it was. A google search later led me to this thread.

I'm not sure what the significance of 'discrete' is - discrete amps for each channel?
Can you share the photo here?

Discrete means there's no chips used on the amplifying section of the amp, the circuit is designed with more specificity than it can be done with monolithic chips. My guess is that it's just a product to show customers topping can do the same that brands like Ferrum or Burson can do, while getting better measurements than them in the process.

cheapmessiah

It looks really cool

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Why not move the connectors to the left and use a similar display as on the D90LE with all the needed info ?

Top Bottom