• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Pillars

I used to own A90 (had to RMA it otherwise I'd have kept it). Using just an L30 right now which is similar enough.. truthfully I cheaped out hehe. I loved A90; haven't heard the GS-X though. I'd find it odd that it changes the sound enough for treble to be less prominent. Measurement wise that'd be hard to believe.

Which headphones are you using again? Diyaudioheaven/solderdude can make passive filters for some headphones which can be interesting for a passive/hardware work-around rather than EQ.

Oh dang that sucks, did the A90 work for a while before it popped? Thanks for the link on those filters I'll check it out. The GS-X Mini doesn't sound odd to me at all, just more comfortable to my ears and it sounds fantastic. Guess that's the only way I can explain it. I assume I may be a minority on my experience and that's ok. My headphones are great with my current amp and the iDSD BL so at least my solution is simple. Was thankful to own the A90 though, even if it didn't work out.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Oh dang that sucks, did the A90 work for a while before it popped? Thanks for the link on those filters I'll check it out. The GS-X Mini doesn't sound odd to me at all, just more comfortable to my ears and it sounds fantastic. Guess that's the only way I can explain it. I assume I may be a minority on my experience and that's ok. My headphones are great with my current amp and the iDSD BL so at least my solution is simple. Was thankful to own the A90 though, even if it didn't work out.
If was a fuse blown(first slightly underfused batch). He 'could' just replace it. But it can be an hassle so he returned it.

Veri

Master Contributor
If was a fuse blown(first slightly underfused batch). He 'could' just replace it. But it can be an hassle so he returned it.
:D well the seller just told me to return it, plus promptly refunded me I had no real choice in the matter. But it's likely it was just the fuse that blew. And it was indeed one of the very early units!

Pillars

:D well the seller just told me to return it, plus promptly refunded me I had no real choice in the matter. But it's likely it was just the fuse that blew. And it was indeed one of the very early units!

Ohh gotcha. Well I'm glad things worked out in the end for you. I only went through one due to a sloppy pot. Even so it was reliable. The pre performance was it's main strength for me.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There were a few reports of A90's blowing their fuses in the first weeks of the A90 shipping, I learned the solution was to increase the rating on newer production models, but I'm wondering what is different in those few that blew fuses. My A90 was delivered from the first batch and I've been running practically non-stop at normal and high listening levels since it was delivered, and no fuse problems have shown.

What is the tipping point that causes those few to pop?

I suppose I should ask Hifigo / Topping to send me a couple of higher rated fuses? Or, since I've not had a problem so far it's unlikely I will have a problem in the future - and the person I eventually sell it to as well?

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
There were a few reports of A90's blowing their fuses in the first weeks of the A90 shipping, I learned the solution was to increase the rating on newer production models, but I'm wondering what is different in those few that blew fuses. My A90 was delivered from the first batch and I've been running practically non-stop at normal and high listening levels since it was delivered, and no fuse problems have shown.

I suppose I should ash Hifigo / Topping to send me a couple of higher rated fuses? Or, since I've not had a problem so far it's unlikely I will have a problem in the future - and the person I eventually sell it to as well?
The turn on in rush current may exceed the fuse blow energy. There are only accumulative a handful of people having the issue. Since your unit is fine I don't see any issue. If you are really concerned, just leave the amp on it will be fine. And yes you may ask for higher rated fuses from the seller.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The turn on in rush current may exceed the fuse blow energy. There are only accumulative a handful of people having the issue. Since your unit is fine I don't see any issue. If you are really concerned, just leave the amp on it will be fine. And yes you may ask for higher rated fuses from the seller.

Does it apply to the back switch only or front one as well?

Pillars

I suppose I should ask Hifigo / Topping to send me a couple of higher rated fuses? Or, since I've not had a problem so far it's unlikely I will have a problem in the future - and the person I eventually sell it to as well?

I didn't have fuse problems either.

Ntrax

Audio Company
Uhhh, subjectivists on the extreme cult side? That is quite the sad jab you've thrown there. I never said the A90 wasn't a great amp, or not musical. But to me, definitely can fatigue at moderate+ volumes. I'm not spreading propaganda. I owned the amp since release. I've experienced it's strengths and weaknesses enough to share that personal experience with others who are curious and willing to consider it or share their experience in return. Maybe no one feels that way and I would be more convinced I may have some frequency sensitivity given the A90's very wide extension at both ends. Maybe others have had issues. It's all open dialogue and conversation, this is a forum after all. I respect people here who believe 0.0000x% amps are the most transparent thing in existence and therefor cannot have faults, just as I hope to be given respect for sharing my personal experiences from owning and using the amplifier extensively instead of seeing responses like this.
Don't worry man. Just say you love A90 and hype them. Else you won't escape the hatred. They will use all their time to tell you A90 is the best.. and your ears are theirs. Reality...

Pillars

Don't worry man. Just say you love A90 and hype them. Else you won't escape the hatred. They will use all their time to tell you A90 is the best.. and your ears are theirs. Reality...
I think JohnYang would appreciate the hype. If the linear measurement focused nature of the A90 is your preference it's a great amp. Especially if you've got neutral or dark headphones.

Top Bottom