• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With sound perception I find it difficult to put it into words but although I like A90 and I think it is a very good amp, I feel that something is off to my liking. Your description sounds like something that I may be experiencing. I guess amp goals updated...:D:facepalm::eek:o_O

and I've only had A90 for a couple of months :facepalm:
This is called confirmation bias.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm: It's the good measurements tricked your brain thinking it's fatiguing.

We all know that subjectivists on the extreme cult side will always spread false rumors about 0.0000x% SINAD DACs and Amps are "fatiguing, unmusical digititis sounding"

Pillars

We all know that subjectivists on the extreme cult side will always spread false rumors about 0.0000x% SINAD DACs and Amps are "fatiguing, unmusical digititis sounding"

Uhhh, subjectivists on the extreme cult side? That is quite the sad jab you've thrown there. I never said the A90 wasn't a great amp, or not musical. But to me, definitely can fatigue at moderate+ volumes. I'm not spreading propaganda. I owned the amp since release. I've experienced it's strengths and weaknesses enough to share that personal experience with others who are curious and willing to consider it or share their experience in return. Maybe no one feels that way and I would be more convinced I may have some frequency sensitivity given the A90's very wide extension at both ends. Maybe others have had issues. It's all open dialogue and conversation, this is a forum after all. I respect people here who believe 0.0000x% amps are the most transparent thing in existence and therefor cannot have faults, just as I hope to be given respect for sharing my personal experiences from owning and using the amplifier extensively instead of seeing responses like this.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
Perhaps it's your headphones' weaknesses are more exposed with good amplification? I can't listen to my DT770 Pros without EQ.

Pillars

Perhaps it's your headphones' weaknesses are more exposed with good amplification? I can't listen to my DT770 Pros without EQ.
That is possible, I felt it more tolerable with the HD660S and not so much with Sundara and HD600. Still, with iDSD BL&GS-X Mini I don't have any issue. As far as DT770 goes, I have a pair and used some dampening in front of the driver but below the felt piece held in by the retainer ring. I used a thin disposable shop towel and that tamed the highs down nicely, give it a shot.

Pillars

I'm not a huge fan of using windows software EQ. I've wanted to try an RME ADI-2 for that adjustability at the DAC though. Fact remains in my case I've found a synergy that is comfortable for my listening using my favorite headphones. Maybe the amp I upgraded to just plays well with their brighter traits.

gvl

Major Contributor
This is going off topic but what's wrong with software EQ? If done right should be the same or better than that on the RME. I'm using JRiver built in EQ, works great.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have a meaningful response to this one, having sold my A90.

I really liked the A90 at first. I was a shorter session listener and it sounded great. With more time at home and longer sessions I would fatigue though. It was insanely clean, fast and accurate however I just couldn't listen for too long. I couldn't make it through more than a few songs especially if I was distracted doing other things while listening.
I find that very clean sound is poor choice for background music when I'm doing something else, the details I hear are too distracting.

Umm. Similar to Drop 789 I think these kind of THX/distortion-less amps actually are perfect for background listening. I never once found any "fatiguing" listening listening sessions using A90 :oops:o_Oo_O and honestly I'd find it very hard to believe something like the GSX would be less fatiguing when it will distort a lot more ....

Sounds to me like these A-B tests were not properly done...

Pillars

I was able to identify discomfort rapidly with level matching (meter measured) blind consistently. As I said, it could be frequency discomfort but that's my personal experience and my solution was to find a configuration comfortable for me. Glad to hear the amp is working out for you though. Do you own the A90? What headphones so you use? As for the GS-X the treble is less prominent and the bass isn't so sub bound like on the A90, which is why I'm assuming it's easier on my ears. When I owned the 789 I didn't have any issues. I was using the SU-8&DX7s with it. With the A90 I have used the D90.

Last edited:

Pillars

This is going off topic but what's wrong with software EQ? If done right should be the same or better than that on the RME. I'm using JRiver built in EQ, works great.

I had used Equalizer APO and PeaceGUI for systemwide adjustment. If I could mod my headphone lightly to fix issues instead of EQ that was my preference.

Veri

Master Contributor
Glad to hear the amp is working out for you though. Do you own the A90? As for the GS-X the treble is less prominent and the bass isn't so sub bound like on the A90, which is why I'm assuming it's easier on my ears. When I owned the 789 I didn't have any issues. I was using the SU-8 with it.
I used to own A90 (had to RMA it otherwise I'd have kept it). Using just an L30 right now which is similar enough.. truthfully I cheaped out hehe. I loved A90; haven't heard the GS-X though. I'd find it odd that it changes the sound enough for treble to be less prominent. Measurement wise that'd be hard to believe.

I had used Equalizer APO and PeaceGUI for systemwide adjustment. If I could mod my headphone lightly to fix issues instead of EQ that was my preference.
Which headphones are you using again? Diyaudioheaven/solderdude can make passive filters for some headphones which can be interesting for a passive/hardware work-around rather than EQ.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I used to own A90 (had to RMA it otherwise I'd have kept it).
What was the issue? Why Topping didn't sent you another box?

Veri

Master Contributor
What was the issue? Why Topping didn't sent you another box?
It didn't turn on for some reason, so a power problem. Just unlucky. The seller simply refunded as soon as it was on its way back, so I bought an L30 and pocketed the rest. Not an unhappy customer. Can do without balanced I/O for now :) I really liked A90 though. If I ever "need" a new amp, it'll be A90 or A30 Pro :p

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It didn't turn on for some reason, so a power problem. Just unlucky. The seller simply refunded as soon as it was on its way back, so I bought an L30 and pocketed the rest. Not an unhappy customer. Can do without balanced I/O for now :) I really liked A90 though. If I ever "need" a new amp, it'll be A90 or A30 Pro :p
A30pro will be a fun trip. It actually has 228mW class A power for 300Ohm, 850mW for class AB. And it will always in class A for 600Ohm load, 426mW.

bahamot

A30pro will be a fun trip. It actually has 228mW class A power for 300Ohm, 850mW for class AB. And it will always in class A for 600Ohm load, 426mW.
Ahh I don't need it but itchy to pair it with DT880 600Ohm. Is it discrete design?

Veri

Master Contributor
Since you mention it, how do you stay in class A for 300Ohm then? Middle gain?

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What's the A90 "Pro" looking like? Or, is it too early? :)

@Pillars

My input on the A90 for long listening sessions is after a few weeks of burn-in the A90 has no rough edges to my ears. I played it non-stop for a few weeks, listening as I had time, and never once experienced any harshness with my already broken in headphones and IEM's.

The new IEM's I broke in on the A90 needed time of their own too: Blon BL-05 took about a week of off hours burn-in before I enjoyed listening to them on the A90 or M15 for that matter. Also the TinHifi P1 was way too shrill in a much more vital way than the BL-05 and needed a couple of weeks of burn-in before I could stand them for long or short sessions, now they are one of my favorite IEM's. The SendyAidio Aiva's also needed about a week before I enjoyed long sessions with them.

The BL-03 and BL-05 are perfect examples of where headphone cable wire can have an audible effect. I have 2 2-pin KB EAR 16 core cables I swap between the 03/05 - one is silver plated and one is straight copper.

The BL-03 sounds great with both - with the plain copper having the most "warmth" - most bass - and light on the high's - and both cables on the BL-03 are fine for long listening sessions.

The BL-05 sounds best with the Copper and is too bright with the Silver cable, even after all those many hours of break-in time. It started on the Copper for the burn-in, and I've tried swapping in the Silver plated wire cable several times - now too - and it makes the BL-05 too bright for me, but the Copper cable is fine. I really like the BL-03 best - and it's a tough choice which cable I should leave on it long term, but I always end up with the Silver plated cable. These cables aren't expensive, list for $39.95 and I find them on sale for $29.95 regularly.

If your IEM's are too harsh and you are using a silver plated wire cable try subbing in a Copper OCC only cable before giving up on the IEM (or the A90!). And, if your IEM is too dull and "warm" try swapping in a silver plated or 99.99% silver cable to help reduce the bass and express more high's.
The Aliexpress KB Ear store is having a crazy sale right now, $12 for the Copper and $13 for the Silver, plus they have other "styles" of the 16 core cables:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/5017064/search?origin=y&SearchText=16+core
I prefer the plain single color look:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33039619405.html - Copper - 2-pin 4.4mm
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33045414046.html - Silver - 2 pin 4.4mm

This is a good time to pick up the 99.99% Pure Silver 4 Core cable, 48% off, only $17:

KBEAR limpid 4 Core 4N 99.99% Purity silver earphone cable 3.5/2.5/4.4mm MMCX/0.78mm 2Pin/QDC/TFZ For ZSX BLON BL-03
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001244034183.html

For someone thinking of getting the A90 be sure and run it 24 / 7 for the first week or two to give it the best chance of being non-fatiguing for your sensitive hearing. The same goes for new IEM's and headphones. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom