• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Mikechw

I tried powering the AHB2 directly from D90 for a week using digital volume.
Eventually I added back A90 to the chain. It seems with A90, it sounds better on low volume.
Now I have AHB2 settings on low gain and A90 on mid gain.
It is quite flexible to just flip the switch on A90 to high gain when I needed the volume.

1.jpg

auronthas

I didn't have fuse problems either.
I don't have fuse problem too. I am happy with my D90/A90 thus far both headphone and speaker system.

I turn off rear switch whenever I finish listening otherwise A90 will turn on automatically when power resumes during a power outage.

Pillars

I don't have fuse problem too. I am happy with my D90/A90 thus far both headphone and speaker system.

I turn off rear switch whenever I finish listening otherwise A90 will turn on automatically when power resumes during a power outage.

I would turn it off from the front. I noticed D90+A90 would eventually get fairly warm as well. Not too hot but, definitely a departure from previous THX amps. Probably due to internal power supply. Maybe more so the D90, as it gets warm even on top of a cooler I use for my current heater of a headphone amp.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I appreciate the fact that i did not need to sign up to view posts and or pictures on this website. Otherwise, my stack just arrived about half an hour ago.
So far I'm very impressed.
What are your headphones?

auronthas

I would turn it off from the front. I noticed D90+A90 would eventually get fairly warm as well. Not too hot but, definitely a departure from previous THX amps. Probably due to internal power supply. Maybe more so the D90, as it gets warm even on top of a cooler I use for my current heater of a headphone amp.

Ya, I stack D90 on top of A90, they get warmer during operation, around 97 degree Fahrenheit.

My bad, what i meant earlier was D90 turn on automatically when power resumes during a power outage.

A90 front is a toggle switch, i turn it off both the front and rear switch.

HeyFkFace

Ya, I stack D90 on top of A90, they get warmer during operation, around 97 degree Fahrenheit.

My bad, what i meant earlier was D90 turn on automatically when power resumes during a power outage.

A90 front is a toggle switch, i turn it off both the front and rear switch.
Haven't turned either my A90 or D90 off yet because i not only want to keep testing it but see if it gets "hot", been listening to music and also gaming. Only slight warmth which is expected from electrical components, i think you are putting too much thought into it. If one or the other had visible vents that's when i'd worry about putting it in a specific order.
Looks like the Sennheiser HD800s.
Correct.

Dovi

About to receive the topping stack and I have the same headphones.
How do you like it and what did you have previously ?

I See you game as well. Did you notice any differences in games VS what you had previously ?

Also, any reason you don't use the balanced XLR cable that comes with the 800s ?

Last edited:

HeyFkFace

About to receive the topping stack and I have the same headphones.
How do you like it and what did you have previously ?
I have owned the following at one stage or another during my journey;
-R2R 11
-NFB 1
-Schiit Modi stack
-Schiit Valhalla
-Schiit Vali
-Darkvoice 336se
-Topping L30 / E30 stack
-THX AAA 789
-SMSL SP200
-Little Dot MK2
So far I'm actually enjoying it a lot.
What i gathered within minutes of listening to music is it reminds me of the THX AAA amplifiers. I find it's just as straight forward, clean, linear, has the same separation in instruments. And vocals just sound incredibly crisp.
But i also noticed it does two things slightly different, the detail retrieval is a tad bit better over your general THX amplifier. It also seems to have a warm/colored sound at times - wheres THX amplifiers seem to be more harsh sounding.
I See you game as well. Did you notice any differences in games VS what you had previously ?
This goes back to what i said above regarding having slightly better detail retrieval. The A90 does what my 789 or SP200 did, but it does it better. Those small sounds in the background of a song while on the menu? it's a lot more pronounced with the A90
Those small creaks, pops, clanking, or ambient noises? it's a lot more pronounced with the A90
Also, any reason you don't use the balanced XLR cable that comes with the 800s ?
Sennheiser changed the packaging (no more fancy lining in the box) and no more XLR cable. They gave the reason that not many people used XLR. Instead you get a pentaconn cable which is also balanced.

You won't notice a difference between the two cables.

Mikechw

Haven't turned either my A90 or D90 off yet because i not only want to keep testing it but see if it gets "hot", been listening to music and also gaming. Only slight warmth which is expected from electrical components, i think you are putting too much thought into it. If one or the other had visible vents that's when i'd worry about putting it in a specific order.

Correct.

I had my A90 on top of D90 and I found out they get pretty hot..
Also sound quality from one of them seems dropped.. Later I found while A90 gets hot, its sound the same even if its hot.
The problems seems to be D90.

When I was stacking them, my daily routine is power them up and play music through my pc, (upscale them via HQPlayer to DSD256).
The first 30 mins of music sounds very good. and then it started to notice a little degrade..
It may be just my feeling..

Now I don't stack them and I have D90 sitting next to A90.
I also have a little fan on top of D90 and I can play them for hours without fatigue. It may be just me having this experience.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I appreciate the fact that i did not need to sign up to view posts and or pictures on this website. Otherwise, my stack just arrived about half an hour ago.
So far I'm very impressed.

Nice setup, A90 definately works very well with 800s.

auronthas

I am not worry about the heat as mentioned, it merely 96 degree. My worry is on my D90's standby power mode, I experience once during two-week vacation, D90 turn on automatically when power resume (during power outage) without any digital source.

Let try this, turn off your main electrical distribution box power supply, then turn on, if your D90 is on standby mode, will your D90 turn on automatically ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I am not worry about the heat as mentioned, it merely 96 degree. My worry is on my D90's standby power mode, I experience once during two-week vacation, D90 turn on automatically when power resume (during power outage) without any digital source.

Let try this, turn off your main electrical distribution box power supply, then turn on, if your D90 is on standby mode, will your D90 turn on automatically ?
Just turn off and on on the back. It will automatically turn on. That's normal.

makatech

I am probably buying a used A90 on Sunday but now reading some owners getting noise/hiss when connecting DACs or active speakers through RCA? If I understand it correctly this is the main concern with the A90, the fuse issue seem to be really rare?

What I have today is a iFi Zen Dac connected to my computer through usb but getting power from a power supply (iFi iPower X 5V). Headphones HD 6XX and connecting them through quality balanced cables with the 4.4 mm pentaconn.

Not sure for how long I will use the Zen Dac but I plan (was hoping) on using it for a while with the A90. Do you think there is a big risk running into grounding issues connecting the Zen Dac through RCA inputs on the A90 or it's less risk because of the fact I am connecting the Zen Dac through a power supply?

Since I am not sure for how long I will keep the Zen Dac I will be very hesitant in investing in buying an expensive custom made 4.4 mm - dual 3 pin XLR cable (for a fully balanced connection).

Audimon

I am probably buying a used A90 on Sunday but now reading some owners getting noise/hiss when connecting DACs or active speakers through RCA? If I understand it correctly this is the main concern with the A90, the fuse issue seem to be really rare?

What I have today is a iFi Zen Dac connected to my computer through usb but getting power from a power supply (iFi iPower X 5V). Headphones HD 6XX and connecting them through quality balanced cables with the 4.4 mm pentaconn.

Not sure for how long I will use the Zen Dac but I plan (was hoping) on using it for a while with the A90. Do you think there is a big risk running into grounding issues connecting the Zen Dac through RCA inputs on the A90 or it's less risk because of the fact I am connecting the Zen Dac through a power supply?

Since I am not sure for how long I will keep the Zen Dac I will be very hesitant in investing in buying an expensive custom made 4.4 mm - dual 3 pin XLR cable (for a fully balanced connection).

I have no RCA issues whatsoever, never had. Even going via additional tube pre between adi2dac and a90 it is dead silent in my case. I did get rid of ground in my adi2dac USB however, which was indeed causing noise.

The only issue I had with A90 was with low impedance and hi sensitivity headphones - eg Klipsch HP-3 - these are very good for gaming (the best for sound placement, especially vertically) surprisingly and some music types but even at LOW gain and low output from adi2dac with A90 HP-3 are sibilant (going above LOW gain on A90 is just terrible). This maybe due to HP-3 being 25ohm. Anything else in my collection and up to Beyerdynamic T1 2nd gen 600ohm sounds very good. Actually T1s sound the best with the A90, which may say something about the power of this device and the attention one needs to pay to pairing devices ))

Tubes help with the sibilants as well as games imho.

Other headphones I have tested with A90 are Sony MDR-Z1R (these help me with any flu :) ), Audio Technica W1000 Sovereign (got those back in 2008 and they're still like new :) ) with Brainwaivz XL earpads and HiFiMan Sundara (just help me stay connected to the world via their transparency). All of them sound great with appropriate output/gain settings, no EQ mind you - don't like that (otherwise you drown in all the options). Only Klipsch's have a bit of a trouble with sibilants at some point but that again may be a recording/mastering issue + low impedance.
Also waiting for Fostex T60RP Argons to complete my collection ))

From what I understand most of the noise tends to come from the DAC. You need to be inside something like an atomic power station to have issues with interference through the air and into your amp (although I read otherwise in other threads). But what do I know..... besides my experience - kill me if I am wrong ))

Also there is no Sennheiser in my collection because actually there was a pair and I tried a few afterwards and they all sounded too boring to me (maybe cause I'm used to them) so I went on with trying everything else out there. Also not a big fan of planar cause I do hear plastic "aftertaste" - so no Audeze, etc., sorry about that. I tried a few times but I indeed felt like chewing on plastic.

Hope that helps.

That's not my complete review by any means but just something I felt I had to say so far in response to makatech ))

Last edited:

makatech

I have no RCA issues whatsoever, never had.

Many thanks for your reply, really appreciate it! :) Hopefully I will not run into noise/hiss issues when connecting my Zen Dac to the A90 through RCA. If I will I probably try to sell my Zen Dac and get another Dac instead. Not sure I want to invest in one expensive balanced custom made 4.4mm -> dual 3 pin XLRs cable for the Zen Dac (entry level dac), probably not.

Top Bottom