• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Veri

Master Contributor
So A90 will accurately amplify E30's noise. I would prefer a pair with matching SINAD.
Well in this case the bottleneck is harmonic distortion not noise. And arguably it's already well past inaudible in E30 :) but you can't get any free common mode rejection (ground loop immunity) benefits due to lack of XLR output.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
but you can't get any free common mode rejection (ground loop immunity) benefits due to lack of XLR output.
XLR inputs give some benefit already, because the input is differential. The ground connection can be removed with a groundlifting adapter, lifting pin 1.

Veri

Master Contributor
XLR inputs give some benefit already, because the input is differential. The ground connection can be removed with a groundlifting adapter, lifting pin 1.
That's true if you don't want to use simple RCA cables to connect. I don't think a lot of people do this for their single ended source though.

Rigel

I haven't yet tried the HD800S with my SMSL - it's on the way and because of COVID it's delayed. I have been reading lots and lots of distaste for it online. Saying it's not powerful enough, it's limits the sound-stage / clarity, and that i need something better otherwise i wasted money on the HD800s.

I truly don't know what to believe anymore.

Hi shfter.

I don't have the E30, I have the D90, but I do have the HD800, SP200 and A90.

You shouldn't worry.
The A90 has some advantages that the SP200 does not have, such as the touch of the potentiometer, more gain levels and better build quality in general, but in terms of sound quality, with the SP200 you will have enough quality and power to take advantage of well the HD800s even in low gain.

In this sense, the difference between one amplifier and another, I would qualify as marginal or non-existent in my ear.

shfter

Anyone, and I truly mean anyone, claiming modern devices are providing soundstage improvements; those people need to be avoided the moment they invoke such a concept. Please disregard such people, they haven't the faintest of clues of what they're talking about.
Hi shfter.

I don't have the E30, I have the D90, but I do have the HD800, SP200 and A90.

You shouldn't worry.
The A90 has some advantages that the SP200 does not have, such as the touch of the potentiometer, more gain levels and better build quality in general, but in terms of sound quality, with the SP200 you will have enough quality and power to take advantage of well the HD800s even in low gain.

In this sense, the difference between one amplifier and another, I would qualify as marginal or non-existent in my ear.

Just wanted to say many thanks guys, you guys put my mind at ease. Instead of telling me i needed to buy this and that - you didn't try to sell me anything which i did not need which i appreciate. You guys have saved me a lot of money. Thanks again and to Veri. I should be getting the headphones in by tomorrow or the following day the latest.

Looking forward to trying the pair up.

Rigel

There is little left then, that you enjoy the headphones. They are very good.

azoazo

I had mine A90 hooked up to AHB2..
I prefer the sound of AHB2 when its on mid gain.

My A90 is on its mid gain settings too.
A90's gain switch is on the front panel, so I suppose its easy to flip and try.

I checked AHB2 manual. Page 40 says:
Low Gain – The AHB2 has a low gain setting that optimizes the gain structure of professional monitoring systems. Maximum rated output is reached at an input signal level of 22 dBu. This places the upstream equipment in an ideal operating range to maximize the SNR of the monitoring chain. Most power amplifiers have far too much gain, and this degrades noise performance of the overall system. To provide compatibility with lower input signal levels, the AHB2 has an ultra low-noise input amplifier with a 3-prosition gain switch. The upper two settings boost the gain to allow direct interfacing with Hi-Fi components that typically operate at lower signal levels than those produced by professional components.

Therefore, low gain is AHB2's native input setting. John is right. Use low gain if possible.

Forum Donor
DD4C81ED-7662-436B-A26B-137153CF41CC.jpeg

gvl

Major Contributor
I often see used A90s for sale lately. Why are people parting with, arguably, the best headphone amp in the world?

Veri

Master Contributor
I often see used A90s for sale lately. Why are people parting with, arguably, the best headphone amp in the world?
-Some people keep hopping gear
-I only see 2 for sale on head-fi :D quite normal state of affairs

Toku

Major Contributor
There is a saying in Japan that "with beautiful women get bored after spending three days together."

Even with the great A90, people will become more interested in other products over time. I may be one of them.

Last edited:

Ntrax

Audio Company
They are good at best ..but..not great. Still a mid fi build quality with flaws.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
They are good at best ..but..not great. Still a mid fi build quality with flaws.

Not mid-fi according to the test results and what flaws do you mean? If you make claims, at least substantiate them. Otherwise it is just your opinion (and in this case your opinion does not seem in aligment with objective measurements).

Last edited:

Ntrax

Audio Company
Ofcoz my opinion. Is my own pairing and test. I don't speak for others. Is purely my own purchase and experience. You can say invalid or not. I don't expect ppl to agree with me..but I know some ppl have the same experience with me.

Phony846

Ofcoz my opinion. Is my own pairing and test. I don't speak for others. Is purely my own purchase and experience. You can say invalid or not. I don't expect ppl to agree with me..but I know some ppl have the same experience with me.

If you have a poor experience with the A90, can you be very, very specific on what you see as shortcomings and what amp(s) you think are superior that fall into vaguely similar price point?

Ntrax

Audio Company
Ego have blinded you. If you read properly..not once I say the sound or measurement is midfi ..i said build quality. Is just so norm ppl can't accept others talk negative about their purchase.

Top Bottom