• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

ClicketEKlack

I see than! if so despite your preference of small box, a big box solution like holo and bryston might made the ultimate amp in my book, and tbh I feel audiophiles don't mind traditional size as we usually own some sort of gear with that size in the first place
Not everyone has unlimited desktop space or puts their gear in a rack. I love the small footprint of the Topping stack, so thank you @JohnYang1997

alsosprach

Got my D90+A90 stack yesterday.

Using supplied USB cable and short Neutrik/Canare balanced XLR interconnects. Connected by stock ribbon cable to my only headphones, Audeze LCD-2.

View attachment topping-d90-a90.jpg

Everyone jokes about #endgame, but this is actually my very first dedicated DAC & headphone amp ever. #firstgame lol. I only got these headphones a few weeks ago (used), so I won't comment on SQ of my setup–I have nothing which to compare.

I can say that this small mountain of Topping looks and works perfectly. I like the size, weight, case style, and controls. Never hot, just slight warmth. Only thing I had to figure out was how to put the D90 into DAC-only mode. (It is super easy but the manual was real bad.)

Question 1: Do I have to leave the ugly serial number stickers on the right sides? Those should have gone on the bottom or elsewhere.

Question 2: I have ordered a balanced XLR "Clear Light" headphone cable from Cardas. What can I expect to change when I switch to that? Will there be more or less gain?

Question 3: I am currently running exclusively on low gain mode, with volume pointing around 9-10pm. Mostly classical music. Are these "easy to drive / low impedance" headphones, or do I just listen at low volume?

Attachments

• topping-d90-a90.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 147

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Got my D90+A90 stack yesterday.

Using supplied USB cable and short Neutrik/Canare balanced XLR interconnects. Connected by stock ribbon cable to my only headphones, Audeze LCD-2.

View attachment 82226

Everyone jokes about #endgame, but this is actually my very first dedicated DAC & headphone amp ever. #firstgame lol. I only got these headphones a few weeks ago (used), so I won't comment on SQ of my setup–I have nothing which to compare.

I can say that this small mountain of Topping looks and works perfectly. I like the size, weight, case style, and controls. Never hot, just slight warmth. Only thing I had to figure out was how to put the D90 into DAC-only mode. (It is super easy but the manual was real bad.)

Question 1: Do I have to leave the ugly serial number stickers on the right sides? Those should have gone on the bottom or elsewhere.

Question 2: I have ordered a balanced XLR "Clear Light" headphone cable from Cardas. What can I expect to change when I switch to that? Will there be more or less gain?

Question 3: I am currently running exclusively on low gain mode, with volume pointing around 9-10pm. Mostly classical music. Are these "easy to drive / low impedance" headphones, or do I just listen at low volume?
Q1, if you can move the sticker to the bottom then sure. And you should take a picture of the sticker. (you can't see it when sitting in front of desk right?)
Q2, Here, people don't think cable making difference. But I am sure cables will change the sound. Not that better cable will give better result, some cables will definitely make it sound different. I have had not very good relationship with one Cardas cable where I did blind test in the store. But difference should be small non the less.
Q3, Feel free to play at any volume position. LCD-2 is relatively low impedance. As amplifiers output voltage, voltage sensitivity is what matters in the volume position. From this perspective LCD-2 is "easy to drive". But for headphones themselves, power sensitivity is what matters. From this perspective, LCD-2 is less sensitive but still in the middle. Relatively easy to drive.

Mikechw

I am a little free last night and had my RME ADI-PRO fs hooked up and did some experiment.
Graph generated by Right Mark Audio Analyzer.
4 cases tested: (96k24bit pcm 1khz tone)(RME output and input level set to 13dbu)(balanced in/out)

(Cyan) I tested loop back RME->RME ( noise level lowest and other measurement capped by RME )
(White) RME->A90 MidGain->RME
(Purple) RME->A90 HighGain->RME
(Green) RME->Accuphase E-480(in->preout)->RME
thd.png

Noise level is well below 120db and harmonics are much higher on the Accuphase E-480.
But I noticed there is a 150Hz/250Hz peak both on A90's high gain.
Would this be power line noises ? On A90's mid gain setting the peak is ~-140db

I am unable to measure A90's low gain setting as the level is not high enough for 13dbu settings on RME.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I am a little free last night and had my RME ADI-PRO fs hooked up and did some experiment.
Graph generated by Right Mark Audio Analyzer.
4 cases tested: (96k24bit pcm 1khz tone)(RME output and input level set to 13dbu)(balanced in/out)

(Cyan) I tested loop back RME->RME ( noise level lowest and other measurement capped by RME )
(White) RME->A90 MidGain->RME
(Purple) RME->A90 HighGain->RME
(Green) RME->Accuphase E-480(in->preout)->RME
View attachment 82273

Noise level is well below 120db and harmonics are much higher on the Accuphase E-480.
But I noticed there is a 150Hz/250Hz peak both on A90's high gain.
Would this be power line noises ? On A90's mid gain setting the peak is ~-140db

I am unable to measure A90's low gain setting as the level is not high enough for 13dbu settings on RME.
Basically yes and it's expected behaviour.

alsosprach

Q1, if you can move the sticker to the bottom then sure. And you should take a picture of the sticker. (you can't see it when sitting in front of desk right?)

Can't see from straight on, but unecessarily visible from other viewpoints. I will take a photo for my records, and try to relocate them to the bottoms of the devices. I'd recommend putting them there on your new devices. Trying to upload my photo again:

topping-d90-a90-l.jpg

Q2, Here, people don't think cable making difference. But I am sure cables will change the sound. Not that better cable will give better result, some cables will definitely make it sound different. I have had not very good relationship with one Cardas cable where I did blind test in the store. But difference should be small non the less.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the quality of the headphone cable will make much difference (I don't expect it to), but switching from SE to balanced will change things right? Will the sound be louder at a given volume level position? Or what should I expect?

Q3, Feel free to play at any volume position. LCD-2 is relatively low impedance. As amplifiers output voltage, voltage sensitivity is what matters in the volume position. From this perspective LCD-2 is "easy to drive". But for headphones themselves, power sensitivity is what matters. From this perspective, LCD-2 is less sensitive but still in the middle. Relatively easy to drive.

I don't think I'll fully appreciate this comment until I have more experience, and try different components and headphones. All I know is that right now I feel like this setup can go 10x higher volume than I need, which is nice. :)

@JohnYang1997 & Topping, if it is not clear, I am very happy with this product. Thank you. In terms of SQ and features, I don't know what else anyone could ask for. If you add a speaker amp or streamer to this stack, I'd line up to be your first customer for each.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Can't see from straight on, but unecessarily visible from other viewpoints. I will take a photo for my records, and try to relocate them to the bottoms of the devices. I'd recommend putting them there on your new devices. Trying to upload my photo again:

View attachment 82412

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the quality of the headphone cable will make much difference (I don't expect it to), but switching from SE to balanced will change things right? Will the sound be louder at a given volume level position? Or what should I expect?

I don't think I'll fully appreciate this comment until I have more experience, and try different components and headphones. All I know is that right now I feel like this setup can go 10x higher volume than I need, which is nice. :)

@JohnYang1997 & Topping, if it is not clear, I am very happy with this product. Thank you. In terms of SQ and features, I don't know what else anyone could ask for. If you add a speaker amp or streamer to this stack, I'd line up to be your first customer for each.
Ah yeah balanced output will be louder.

azoazo

Dear John,

I hope this message can get your reply. My D90-A90 pair arrived yesterday and they sound great, to a level I never heard before. I have to frequently adjust volume to adapt to the huge dynamic range they bring to my ears. Here are two questions to you:
1. I plan to put a Benchmark AHB2 under the A90. Are there any settings (A90 gains, D90 filters, for example) you would recommend to optimize the system SNR?
2. Any particular speakers (floorstands) can you recommend to match? I prefer detailed analytical sound.

I believe I am not the only ones who have the above questions. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 165

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Dear John,

I hope this message can get your reply. My D90-A90 pair arrived yesterday and they sound great, to a level I never heard before. I have to frequently adjust volume to adapt to the huge dynamic range they bring to my ears. Here are two questions to you:
1. I plan to put a Benchmark AHB2 under the A90. Are there any settings (A90 gains, D90 filters, for example) you would recommend to optimize the system SNR?
2. Any particular speakers (floorstands) can you recommend to match? I prefer detailed analytical sound.

I believe I am not the only ones who have the above questions. Thanks in advance.
1, Mid gain on A90 low gain on AHB2.
2, Perhaps Kef R5 R7

azoazo

1. A90 mid gain balanced out is up to 49Vpp. AHB2 low gain input is 9.8 Vrms. Any problem? Would A90 low gain be better?
2. I have KEF R7 in mind. Thank you to confirm.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
1. A90 mid gain balanced out is up to 49Vpp. AHB2 low gain input is 9.8 Vrms. Any problem? Would A90 low gain be better?
2. I have KEF R7 in mind. Thank you to confirm.
Mid gain on A90 with D90 is 8Vrms out. Close enough.

Mikechw

I had mine A90 hooked up to AHB2..
I prefer the sound of AHB2 when its on mid gain.

My A90 is on its mid gain settings too.
A90's gain switch is on the front panel, so I suppose its easy to flip and try.

shfter

Hey guys i have a question i hope someone can answer. I just bought the HD800s. I want an end game and i picked the HD after listening to it. At the moment i have an SMSL SP200 and an E30 dac. I am thinking about buying the Topping A90 and pairing it with the E30 dac. Would this be an issue? will i lose a lot of audio quality?

I'd love to be able to save money and not need to buy the D90 dac which is another $1000 in my country.

Veri

Master Contributor
At the moment i have an SMSL SP200 and an E30 dac. I am thinking about buying the Topping A90 and pairing it with the E30 dac. Would this be an issue?
No issue. Benefit from balanced DAC is less chance of any grounding/noise problem. But likely there'd be no such problem with E30 and you'd be fine. But I have to ask, what's wrong with your current SP200? A90 is not going to sound truly different from it...

shfter

No issue. Benefit from balanced DAC is less chance of any grounding/noise problem. But likely there'd be no such problem with E30 and you'd be fine. But I have to ask, what's wrong with your current SP200? A90 is not going to sound truly different from it...
I haven't yet tried the HD800S with my SMSL - it's on the way and because of COVID it's delayed. I have been reading lots and lots of distaste for it online. Saying it's not powerful enough, it's limits the sound-stage / clarity, and that i need something better otherwise i wasted money on the HD800s.

I truly don't know what to believe anymore.

Veri

Master Contributor
I haven't yet tried the HD800S with my SMSL - it's on the way and because of COVID it's delayed. I have been reading lots and lots of distaste for it online. Saying it's not powerful enough, it's limits the sound-stage / clarity, and that i need something better otherwise i wasted money on the HD800s.

I truly don't know what to believe anymore.
It should be fine. I had an SP200 and my only dislike was too much gain with the provided volume knob, not powerful enough is not true ... For HD650/HD800 it will be fine in use. When using more sensitive audio technica, IEMs etc it was always too loud for me so I sold it. But for your headphone the SP200 is very suitable don't worry..

shfter

It should be fine. I had an SP200 and my only dislike was too much gain with the provided volume knob, not powerful enough is not true ... For HD650/HD800 it will be fine in use. When using more sensitive audio technica, IEMs etc it was always too loud for me so I sold it. But for your headphone the SP200 is very suitable don't worry..
Thanks man, hopefully you are right and it's all good to go. If so you saved me $1000 (most likely $2000) since i know I'll end up buying the Dac as well a week or two later. I just don't want it to damage the quality/detail or make the sound-stage small as people claimed. Although these same people were telling me to buy amplifiers in the $3000+ range.

Tks

Major Contributor
Thanks man, hopefully you are right and it's all good to go. If so you saved me $1000 (most likely $2000) since i know I'll end up buying the Dac as well a week or two later. I just don't want it to damage the quality/detail or make the sound-stage small as people claimed. Although these same people were telling me to buy amplifiers in the $3000+ range.

Anyone, and I truly mean anyone, claiming modern devices are providing soundstage improvements; those people need to be avoided the moment they invoke such a concept. Please disregard such people, they haven't the faintest of clues of what they're talking about.

azoazo

I don't have Topping E30. But I have D10 and Dx7s and now D90/A90. D90/A90 is indeed audibly better than DX7s. When connecting a DAC with a separate amp, I would care whether voltages and SINADs match. E30 is 112db and A90 is 120db. So A90 will accurately amplify E30's noise. I would prefer a pair with matching SINAD.

Top Bottom