• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

auronthas

hi, i just received A90, initially thought it should be easy to drive my HE4XX , but I was wrong, I need to set to high gain and dial to 12 o'clock , listening to classical music. Other genres, probably medium gain , 3-4 o'clock should be alright. My initial impression.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any word on the street about the power amp. I'm just waiting to see if anyone on this planet has the capacity to produce something to dethrone the ABH2 after half a decade of dominance.
Pre amp. Not power.

Edit ignore, I can't read!

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
Any word on the street about the power amp. I'm just waiting to see if anyone on this planet has the capacity to produce something to dethrone the ABH2 after half a decade of dominance.
Price to performance wise, the purifi and hypex stuff is definitely a contender at one third the price of the ABH2. But it would still be nice to see a complete product in a competitive price range that doesn't use those modules.

I think there were some talks of a topping power amp but it is far into the future. Keep an eye on SMSL's implementation of the infineon stuff at the lower end of things

w1000i

Forum Donor
hi, i just received A90, initially thought it should be easy to drive my HE4XX , but I was wrong, I need to set to high gain and dial to 12 o'clock , listening to classical music. Other genres, probably medium gain , 3-4 o'clock should be alright. My initial impression.

What is your DAC? use maximum out of your DAC to the amp

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Price to performance wise, the purifi and hypex stuff is definitely a contender at one third the price of the ABH2. But it would still be nice to see a complete product in a competitive price range that doesn't use those modules.

I think there were some talks of a topping power amp but it is far into the future. Keep an eye on SMSL's implementation of the infineon stuff at the lower end of things
I vouch for the Purifi modules, I have the Nord Three SE 1ET400 MKII Monos. Best amps I’ve ever had in my 20+ years of being a mad, but practical, audiophile - I never had that level of transparency and detail retrieval without perceived distortion. It made me rethink my whole system. And then I found this forum... :)

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

Some days ago I took the time to compare ABH2 to 1ET400A in ASR measurements. If I remember well, the ABH2 is better only in the noise compartment. For all other metrics performance is the same, or the 1ET400A wins.
So the 1ET400A is a contender in performance at lower price. It wins in performance / price.
In my humble opinion, low distortion amplification at low price will not come from using Infineon / TI / ST chips. Time will tell.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
looks lovely and with a MQA sticker = end game :) my usual question: where did you get it, how long did it take to arrive and how much?
I bought the A90 and D90 from Apos and paid $499 and $799 respectively (no discounts). I chose the free shipping option but they kindly upgraded shipping to express to avoid long delays (without me asking).
Both units shipped together in one package from mainland China to New Jersey on Wednesday and arrived at my door yesterday (Saturday).

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Some days ago I took the time to compare ABH2 to 1ET400A in ASR measurements. If I remember well, the ABH2 is better only in the noise compartment. For all other metrics performance is the same, or the 1ET400A wins.
So the 1ET400A is a contender in performance at lower price. It wins in performance / price.
In my humble opinion, low distortion amplification at low price will not come from using Infineon / TI / ST chips. Time will tell.
A little off topic, but this is how the Nord implementation of the Purifi modules looks:

E09D3876-B9E8-458C-8487-9621E4F324BC.jpeg

108E4780-73B8-4D61-9AC1-8224D0509550.jpeg

raif71

Major Contributor

I'm assuming you're not using balanced. Go for balanced if you want more power

MalinYamato

A dedicated Pre-amp from Topping, to come later.
What!? A90 + D90 MQA, not end-game, after all :confused: Do I also need a pre90 :facepalm: Why? Is there anything else I need?

Veri

Master Contributor
What!? A90 + D90 MQA, not end-game, after all :confused: Do I also need a pre90 :facepalm: Why? Is there anything else I need?
A90 already has a stellar pre functionality though so if you own that stack it can do all you'd want, already :) A90 is not remote motorised though, of course.

rurika

Got A90 today. Very surprise cause I hadn't thought DHL deliver on Sunday. Will play with it tonight.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Got A90 today. Very surprise cause I hadn't thought DHL deliver on Sunday. Will play with it tonight.

After that, maybe you can spend some time with your new A90! ;)

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
What does that mean, setting the D90 to dac mode? It's a dac.
It bypasses the volume control. The output is fixed in DAC mode.

Top Bottom