• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I also just received the A90 today. Coming from the THX AAA 789, after seeing/reading a couple of rave reviews (including Amir's here), I was expecting an upgrade in audio quality. I've been A/B ing the 2 since earlier today and feel so far the THX 789 may be a little brighter.

Interested in anyone else's comparisons.
Same comments have been coming from multiple different people. I also feel the sound is less irritating for long session listening. I think it's the less noise that's doing it. Some people even think it's too soft and dark, slow even and can easily turn the volume too high. This is very interesting.

rjley

Same comments have been coming from multiple different people. I also feel the sound is less irritating for long session listening. I think it's the less noise that's doing it. Some people even think it's too soft and dark, slow even and can easily turn the volume too high. This is very interesting.

I'm missing a little "sparkle" in the highs with the A90

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm missing a little "sparkle" in the highs with the A90
That might be the price to pay for neutrality... I do feel the same about the D90 in my speaker system compared to my previous DAC (R2R - now sold). I think some run in might help, the D90 started a little rough on top.

ReaderZ

If anyone is looking for more measurements

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/124309617

It tests lots of the same thing but repeat all test for low, mid and high gain, as well as 32 and 300 ohm load.

I did not read it when I linked it, now I have. First this is written some time in April and oldest comments shows 1 month ago and updated on May 25th. There was a batch sent out in April to some Chinese testers my guess is they tested that one and may or may not be updated with retail on May 25th.

The measurements are all in English so everyone can just read it. They did point out a few things:

1. For 33 ohm they can push to 15W before clipping, the reviewer list it as area for improvement but to me that's more like a highlight.

2. If you change gain or volume, performance to decrease for about 10 secs or so, then back to normal. Likely no effect on normal use at all, but take note if you are trying to do some test involving change gain or volume a lot.

3. Another thing they believe not to be SOTA is crosstalk with low gain, not bad, but considered to be average for balanced amp, and that measurement improved with mid and high gains.

4. Everything else is amazing and easily best of the best on market.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Just to clarify John, the a90 is less irritating(than the 789, to you), (some say) too soft and dark and slow and some can turn the volume too high on the a90?

Pretty sure that's your meaning but at times in your post I'm unsure which amp you are referring to. Legit question BTW, don't care which way round you mean.

Dealux

I have my doubts that amp comparisons are ever that rigorous or done properly (i.e. blindly) for those differences to be truly established as fact and not just whatever your ears/brain are doing that day (hearing perception can change based on several factors like mood).

The Topping A90 will get average reviews because it is not a particularly pretty looking box lol.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I have my doubts that amp comparisons are ever that rigorous or done properly (i.e. blindly) for those differences to be truly established as fact and not just whatever your ears/brain are doing that day (hearing perception can change based on several factors like mood).

The Topping A90 will get average reviews because it is not a particularly pretty looking box lol.
I try to do long term subjective reviews (for myself, with only my sonic needs as the agenda). That way I hope those mood variations will null themselves. But yeah, even A/B testing is not easy. I feel the sonic memory is not capable to switch that fast... Sonic inertia?

rjley

Do you guys suggesting long term, run in will change the tone of the amp? I was so excited for this amp based on the reviews, pair it up with my D90 and was all ready to sell the THX 789. I want the A90 to be the one I keep but I do love that sparkle.

Veri

Master Contributor
Do you guys suggesting long term, run in will change the tone of the amp? I was so excited for this amp based on the reviews, pair it up with my D90 and was all ready to sell the THX 789. I want the A90 to be the one I keep but I do love that sparkle.
I would expect absolutely zero tone difference between THX 789, 887 and A90. Only difference is the full balanced pre-amp as well as more max output on A90, and of course better noise specs especially at low 50mW output.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The only reason a good quality amp to have "sparkle" would be if it is distorting and hence increasing the highs. That is not the way to get sparkle. Just use an EQ in your favorite player and pull up the highs a bit.

Sean_S

I would expect absolutely zero tone difference between THX 789, 887 and A90. Only difference is the full balanced pre-amp as well as more max output on A90, and of course better noise specs especially at low 50mW output.
Totally agree: the only difference should be noise...and perhaps it's damping factor.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Are you getting more or less listening fatigue with the A90? Assuming volumes are sane, more listening fatigue could be a sign of distortion or noise affecting the high frequencies. The hifi industry has been exploiting that “sparkle” presentation for years, because in the a demo room it will sound more exciting and easier to trigger a purchase. But that’s an old culture that I think is fading away... I hope anyway.

rjley

Are you getting more or less listening fatigue with the A90? Assuming volumes are sane, more listening fatigue could be a sign of distortion or noise affecting the high frequencies. The hifi industry has been exploiting that “sparkle” presentation for years, because in the a demo room it will sound more exciting and easier to trigger a purchase. But that’s an old culture that I think is fading away... I hope anyway.

Only had it since yesterday so no fatigue yet.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Here on my end, first day actually using the A90 and I’ve been happy so far now paired with the RME ADI-2 DAC. Doing some quick, non scientific, guerrilla A/B testing, I prefer the sound of the A90 over the built in ADI-2 DAC headphone output. Everything seems sharper and better defined in comparison.

I haven't tested the balanced output yet. That was the main reason I bought the A90.

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

rjley

Here on my end, first day actually using the A90 and I’ve been happy so far now paired with the RME ADI-2 DAC. Doing some quick, non scientific, guerrilla A/B testing, I prefer the sound of the A90 over the built in ADI-2 DAC headphone output. Everything seems sharper and better defined in comparison.

I haven't tested the balanced output yet. That was the main reason I bought the A90.

View attachment 66670

View attachment 66671

View attachment 66672
Such a nice clean space. Are those Beyer Dynamic headphones?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally agree: the only difference should be noise...and perhaps it's damping factor.

Or "dumping factor" as its now known.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 66670

View attachment 66671

View attachment 66672
Whoah, whoah. What be them cans? Modded 1770s?

And for the love of all that is holy, please align one or both of your pads. Its making my teeth grind. o_O

Wazzupi

I received my a90 but I'm getting a noise when I have my rca connected to my dac and playing music any thoughts what it could be ? I'm running a atom and khadas board prior I tested it through the same power outlet and cables same setup basically yet I get a buzz and it gets louder the higher I boost the volume. The khadas board doesn't have a casing but I don't get this noise from my atom. I used SE and Balanced worst on balance. Any suggestions thoughts ?

Last edited:

rjley

View attachment 66670

View attachment 66671

View attachment 66672

My space blows compared to yours...

20200601_175613.jpg

Top Bottom