• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 11.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 277 82.7%

• Total voters

Music1969

Major Contributor
I don’t think they’re quite there yet as some are still experiencing dropouts, especially in VU mode. I just don’t use VU mode anymore so it’s been rock solid. Hopefully they will continue to add functionality the way RME does via firmware updates.
In this thread I see firmware 2.02 released 9 weeks ago fixed the issue

subframe

The cutoff issue just happened again :( So they improved it but didn't completely solve it...
The amp was set to use the VU meter and I'm listening to Lauge & Aes Dana - Terrene Part 1, which has strong bass. Using D70 Pro Sabre 5V XLR output. Same thing as before, a relay clicks in the amp and the music is cut off for about a second...
@simontomi have you found any solution to this problem?

Deciding between this vs an a90D. Thoughts?

The prices are around $40USD (a90d has the higher price) within of each other. Both are on sale.

Last edited:

Rhamnetin

Deciding between this vs an a90D. Thoughts?

The prices are around $40USD (a90d has the higher price) within of each other. Both are on sale.

A70 Pro is a tiny bit better overall and most of all, more powerful. Also a more updated interface. There's no reason to buy the A90/A90D anymore (nor the Pre90) thanks to the A70 Pro. I'm guessing Topping is working on an A90 Pro now.

Music1969

Major Contributor
To me A90D is the best looking headamp in the world - i LOVE that dot matrix display on the front

but inside the box, A70Pro is the better buy for multiple technical reasons

If A90D Pro comes, wait 6-12 months after release to buy, for issues to be found and fixed - my usual recommendation for Topping. Lesser extent SMSL

dl95

Is there anything better in terms of price to performance than the A70 Pro to power the ridiculously power hungry Tungstens? People have said that they need at least 1.5W at 150ohms to be properly powered. The creator of the headphone himself supposedly uses A70 Pro but says that the headphones sound a bit flat on them. Any reason to believe that the A70 Pro would not be able to power them to their full potential?

Rhamnetin

Is there anything better in terms of price to performance than the A70 Pro to power the ridiculously power hungry Tungstens? People have said that they need at least 1.5W at 150ohms to be properly powered. The creator of the headphone himself supposedly uses A70 Pro but says that the headphones sound a bit flat on them. Any reason to believe that the A70 Pro would not be able to power them to their full potential?

Based on how much power this outputs into 300 ohm in the review on high gain, I don't foresee any problems. I'm not sure what the designer means by saying they sound flat; normally this is a good thing, as in flat frequency response which is especially desirable from the amp/electronics.

dl95

Based on how much power this outputs into 300 ohm in the review on high gain, I don't foresee any problems. I'm not sure what the designer means by saying they sound flat; normally this is a good thing, as in flat frequency response which is especially desirable from the amp/electronics.
Not sure, what I thought they meant was that peaks in the music are not as loud as they should be. As in the amp is enough to get it to a listenable volume but you lose some of the dynamic range.

A70 Pro is a tiny bit better overall and most of all, more powerful. Also a more updated interface. There's no reason to buy the A90/A90D anymore (nor the Pre90) thanks to the A70 Pro. I'm guessing Topping is working on an A90 Pro now.
Personally prefer the display on the a90d.

simontomi

@simontomi have you found any solution to this problem?
Nope, but I have contacted the reseller who forwarded my feedback to Topping. I have also returned a D70 Pro Sabre for repairs (loose screw...) with a note included about the A70 Pro dropout issue. I think the more of us let Topping know of issues, the better.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Nope, but I have contacted the reseller who forwarded my feedback to Topping. I have also returned a D70 Pro Sabre for repairs (loose screw...) with a note included about the A70 Pro dropout issue. I think the more of us let Topping know of issues, the better.
Yes complaints on forum will go unread as JohnnyYang is much less active here these days

Music1969

Major Contributor
He could be on lurking mode in the forum ;)
Yes but still not the place to rely/depend on Topping getting all feedback

Everyone needs to report all issues direct to Topping service email:

2530793.jpg

marcom22

And nothing about my new A70 has arrived..... what can I say, I'm crying with happiness for how beautiful it is, for how much it opens up the scene, for how clean and powerful it is at the same time. Arrived with FW 2.01 serial number 2310656xxx, black colour. Finally a remote control that no longer works infrared but radio wave with excellent reception, the red LED that lights up on the remote control every time you press it is fantastic. The display is responsive, precise and defined. But the focal point is the difference it makes within my audio chain:

Before it SMSL SU-9 (Usb) variable volume BAL out ---> Hypex NC502MP ---> Elac Dbr62 ........ NOW SMSL SU-9 (Usb) fixed volume BAL Out -----> Topping A70 XLR in - XLR out -----> Hypex NC502MP ----> Elac Dbr62

Thanks ASR, thanks Amir and thanks to Topping (let's hope it lasts over time :) ) At the moment I'm only using it as a PRE but this evening I'll try it as a headphone amplifier with my SUNDARAs (oh by the way having 2 buttons on the remote control The way to quickly switch from PRE to AMPLI configuration is phenomenal).

Music1969

Major Contributor
And nothing about my new A70 has arrived..... what can I say, I'm crying with happiness for how beautiful it is, for how much it opens up the scene, for how clean and powerful it is at the same time. Arrived with FW 2.01 serial number 2310656xxx, black colour. Finally a remote control that no longer works infrared but radio wave with excellent reception, the red LED that lights up on the remote control every time you press it is fantastic. The display is responsive, precise and defined. But the focal point is the difference it makes within my audio chain:

Before it SMSL SU-9 (Usb) variable volume BAL out ---> Hypex NC502MP ---> Elac Dbr62 ........ NOW SMSL SU-9 (Usb) fixed volume BAL Out -----> Topping A70 XLR in - XLR out -----> Hypex NC502MP ----> Elac Dbr62

Thanks ASR, thanks Amir and thanks to Topping (let's hope it lasts over time :) ) At the moment I'm only using it as a PRE but this evening I'll try it as a headphone amplifier with my SUNDARAs (oh by the way having 2 buttons on the remote control The way to quickly switch from PRE to AMPLI configuration is phenomenal).
i use it with my Sundara

Parametric EQ of course (bass boost and 2kHz region boost, like most open back Hifiman planars)

Overall i would say this is the best headphone amp on the planet

A safe time to buy now, since it has been 6 months since release

Although if your unit comes with fw 2.01 then likely manufactured before October - but still this was released in May

Rhamnetin

I'm surprised how many people seem to use this with the Sundara since it's overkill. But then again, you know you'll be set for any headphone with this. The HE6se for example drops to $700 or less on sales quite often, and anyone who gets that will be best served by this amp.

Music1969

Major Contributor
What makes you think people get this for its power to drive Sundara?

Maybe its the state of the art ultra low noise & distortion with low level output - and perfect channel balance

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Finally a remote control that no longer works infrared but radio wave with excellent reception

I trained my eBay $5 IR learning remote to copy the main remote functions and it works great.

So I can put the official remote away in the box and use cheap replaceable one which has bigger buttons

Rhamnetin

What makes you think people get this for its power to drive Sundara?

Maybe its the ultra low noise & distortion with low level output - and perfect channel balance

Well, there are amps $150 and below with equal or better SINAD (not that it matters), and you can get equal performance + perfect channel matching for less with the L70, but probably the A70 Pro is chosen as a one and done amp that can drive any headphone with ease.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Well, there are amps $150 and below with equal or better SINAD (not that it matters), and you can get equal performance + perfect channel matching for less with the L70, but probably the A70 Pro is chosen as a one and done amp that can drive any headphone with ease.
L70 is amazing.

I chose A70Pro for lower bass distortion (look at multitone comparison).

I'm obviously not talking about audibility - I'm talking about engineering performance.

Top Bottom