• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 10.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 280 82.8%

• Total voters

jargonin

About 2 days ago i wanted to buy the Topping A70 pro from Audiophonics.fr, but reading this thread i was cautious.

I pinged them asking about the current batch and hp-dc problems, they replied saying "This issue is fixed on current stocks."

So i bought one, considering they had 2 years warranty. Let's see what happens.

raif71

Major Contributor
I am worried the amp I bought a couple of weeks ago may end up with the error too. any way to induce it? They should at least let us know what batch of serial numbers are at least fixed.
Yes the serial number is a good indicator. Like the L30 amp fiasco, Topping came out stating the serial number starting with ... has the fix. Should be the same with this too. All prior units with the serial number before the serial number that is fixed should be sent back for repair and released with the serial number that is fixed. That's my 2 cents.

Nationalizer

Topping has these dangerous issues over and over again. Burning up your headphones is one, damaging your hearing is another. Why are people still risking this for a few $ cheaper?

BigBeard

i am hoping someone with a confirmed "good" batch supplied by a retailer would post what their serial number starts with, here.

Monosauras

Topping has these dangerous issues over and over again. Burning up your headphones is one, damaging your hearing is another. Why are people still risking this for a few $ cheaper?
I'm starting to think it isn't worth the risk. How much extra for a similarly performing unit?

Pulsarre

i am hoping someone with a confirmed "good" batch supplied by a retailer would post what their serial number starts with, here.
Mine is, but I have no idea on where to look for the serial number, it doesnt seems to appear on the unit

RWEI

I bought one a few weeks ago,and using Ananda and He6se V2 on it nearly a month without any issue.

Reactions: GPJ

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I mean, it is a super clean powerhouse. Once fixed it is among the very best in the world for a low price. It seems they did fix it, although the communication is lacking.

Phony846

I have the HiFiman He1000 v2 stealth. I get similar output volume with low gain at -10dB, or high gain at -20dB. Besides the imperceptible SNR difference, is one config better than the other?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have the HiFiman He1000 v2 stealth. I get similar output volume with low gain at -10dB, or high gain at -20dB. Besides the imperceptible SNR difference, is one config better than the other?
No.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Mmm I normally say wait 6 months after a new Topping product to buy.

It seems since this product has faults till recently fixed, I will wait another 4 months till I buy it.

Just to make sure the stock I buy is from the latest fixed stock.

I will buy in Feb 2024 :D

Nationalizer

Mmm I normally say wait 6 months after a new Topping product to buy.

It seems since this product has faults till recently fixed, I will wait another 4 months till I buy it.

Just to make sure the stock I buy is from the latest fixed stock.

I will buy in Feb 2024 :D
They launch 5 new products in 6 months. The one you want to buy is already obsolete by that time :))

MyCuriosity

Looking the power output looks like there is either something wrong with the measurements or the manufacturer is providing false information (lying). The maker claims 12.6w at 32 ohms which is miles away from the measured performance.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Looking the power output looks like there is either something wrong with the measurements or the manufacturer is providing false information (lying). The maker claims 12.6w at 32 ohms which is miles away from the measured performance.
Topping claims 12.6W per channel at 32Ω, <0.1% THD+N
Amir measured 11.7W per channel at 32Ω, <0.1% THD+N:
Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 23.26.38.png

That is 0.3dB less volume than claimed, or 97.9% of the claimed volume.

Top Bottom