• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 11.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 279 82.8%

• Total voters

ommadusk

I was wondering that, I ordered the new SMLS-1 DAC for $80, looks like it has better performance (SINAD) than most any R2R DAC. I will be testing that soon.
I'll be interested to hear the result.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible for this amp to simultaneously output to both is balanced and 3/16 output? I'm thinking about replacing my THX AAA 789 with it, but I drive both my phones through the balanced out and my Subpac S2 tactile subwoofer through the 3/16 output, and obviously any amp replacing the THX needs to be able to do the same.

RangerAudio

Is it possible for this amp to simultaneously output to both is balanced and 3/16 output? I'm thinking about replacing my THX AAA 789 with it, but I drive both my phones through the balanced out and my Subpac S2 tactile subwoofer through the 3/16 output, and obviously any amp replacing the THX needs to be able to do the same.
Very possible. You can have all the outputs active.

louayer

Question, does anyone how this new A70 Pro and D70 Pro sound compared to something of the likes of a Singxer SA-1 and an SMSL VMV D1se? (which is basically my current setup)

RangerAudio

Question, does anyone how this new A70 Pro and D70 Pro sound compared to something of the likes of a Singxer SA-1 and an SMSL VMV D1se? (which is basically my current setup)
I got the stack yesterday. It's hard for me to compare subjectively as I don't have that unit in hand. But I really like mine. The love the frequency response graph is super cool and fun, it has a ton of power and I enjoy it a great deal. The knob is amazing and feels good to click and turn. If you are debating it, I'd wait until it goes on sale. I got my stack from hifigo for just under 1000 usd with no tax and it comes with a nice cable. (Not saying the cable improves sound, but it's a nice value add!)
Subjectively, it's really amazing and I feel it is my endgame for the next few years if not longer. Measurement wise.... It's nutty. I think it's a buy for aesthetics, but maybe not worth the sonic improvement for you.

Phony846

With the improved specs and, IMHO, excellent front panel UI....I can't think of anything Topping could enhance. My only nit pick is maybe a premium full metal case?

Tony Roma

So nearly 3 weeks since Shenzhen Audio have had my faulty A70 pro, i have contacted them 3 times and everytime they tell me to wait a couple of more days, how long do they need to test an obvious fault, this is just a heads up to anyone thinking of buying from them that hopefully you have no problems as they are next to useless on following up problems.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So nearly 3 weeks since Shenzhen Audio have had my faulty A70 pro, i have contacted them 3 times and everytime they tell me to wait a couple of more days, how long do they need to test an obvious fault, this is just a heads up to anyone thinking of buying from them that hopefully you have no problems as they are next to useless on following up problems.
I worked with a small team of engineers, a mathematician, PCB assemblers, technicians and technologists. We never once had a person wait for contact or answers. It saved time being prompt. Smart thinking on behalf of the boss patent holding engineer.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I added a SNR comparison
A70 Pro in balanced Pre mode vs other methods

D90LE - Various volume control methods.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ermmm @AdamG247 my delete draft function is not appearing and I made a mistake posting in a review thread in post #399? Please fix that so I don't disrupt the thread. Sorrrrrry...

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Ermmm @AdamG247 my delete draft function is not appearing and I made a mistake posting in a review thread in post #399? Please fix that so I don't disrupt the thread. Sorrrrrry...
A wandering/wayward post here and there is acceptable. It’s when the whole conversation begins to drift wildly off topic that we seek a corse correction. But thank you Sir for calling our attention to your minor Senior Moment! Eventually we all have them :p

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A wandering/wayward post here and there is acceptable. It’s when the whole conversation begins to drift wildly off topic that we seek a corse correction. But thank you Sir for calling our attention to your minor Senior Moment! Eventually we all have them :p
Liking those ships with the flag flying for sure. I admire the patriotism and spirit of them. The Canada Day celebrations and The USA Independence Day coming on respective days of July 1st and 4th. I'm going out for sure! I'll start a thread. :D

RangerAudio

Well three days of ownership it looks like my topping a 70 pro is bricked. It has a HP DC abnormal error. I've contacted the retailer, topping, and read the instruction manual. If anyone from this lovely forum has any advice. Please advise. I've even given it 12 hours to cool off thinking maybe it overheated.

1688224235611.jpeg

It pretty much doesn't change from this menu. I've tried the advice from the manual, but no luck. Manual linked below.
1688224287533.png

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well three days of ownership it looks like my topping a 70 pro is bricked. It has a HP DC abnormal error. I've contacted the retailer, topping, and read the instruction manual. If anyone from this lovely forum has any advice. Please advise. I've even given it 12 hours to cool off thinking maybe it overheated.

View attachment 296145

It pretty much doesn't change from this menu. I've tried the advice from the manual, but no luck. Manual linked below.View attachment 296147
What can I say. It's broken :(

Ps. I hope that mine will work longer

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
The amplifier is faulty and emits DC current at the headphone output. Do not attempt to use it, otherwise you may damage your headphones.

Wisehybred

Are you saying avoid the a70 pro altogether? Or that yours was faulty. Before I make my purchase I may reach out to Apos Audio and voice my concerns? I wonder how many have gone out with this issue and if they are tested properly. I don’t see many reviews nor issue with the a70 pro online

Top Bottom