• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 11.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 277 82.7%

• Total voters

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Are you saying that you'd get the max power at an earlier volume position on a 2V input as you would a 4V input?
According to Topping data, max power out of a balanced output is obtained with 2V either on a SE input or a bal input with gain set to high. If the DAC connected brings 2V SE and 4V balanced at 0dB, you will get the max power at an earlier volume position with balanced input selected.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With SE out, max output voltage is sqrt(.33*300)≈9.95Vrms.
High gain with SE in is +13.8dB, so you need 9.95*10^(-13.8/20)≈2.0Vrms to saturate the output.

With Bal out, max output voltage is sqrt(1.37*300)≈20.27Vrms.
High gain with SE in is +19.8dB, so you need 20.27*10^(-19.8/20)≈2.07Vrms to saturate the output.

TL;DR: with both SE and Bal out, SE 2V in is enough to max out the A70 Pro's output.
I'm trying to understand the 9.95 and the 20.27 numbers in these formulas, where do they come from?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'm trying to understand the 9.95 and the 20.27 numbers in these formulas, where do they come from?
It's Topping's specified power numbers converted to Vrms:
7686103.jpg

Phony846

I got my A70 Pro and D70 Sabre today. Swapping them in for my A90D/D90se. Primarily due to the improved user interface and higher potential output on the amp. I must say I really like the new color UI and controls. Way easier than the 90 series. They are also basically the same size as the 90 duo, so they fit perfectly in my custom offset mounting bracket. They are maybe a couple of mm taller together, but not enough to matter.

On the DAC I have the fft displayed and on the amp I have the volume/inputs shown. Looks very slick.

Wisehybred

I got my A70 Pro and D70 Sabre today. Swapping them in for my A90D/D90se. Primarily due to the improved user interface and higher potential output on the amp. I must say I really like the new color UI and controls. Way easier than the 90 series. They are also basically the same size as the 90 duo, so they fit perfectly in my custom offset mounting bracket. They are maybe a couple of mm taller together, but not enough to matter.

On the DAC I have the fft displayed and on the amp I have the volume/inputs shown. Looks very slick.
But how does it sound I am interested in the preamp output and volume control to an amplifier

Phony846

But how does it sound I am interested in the preamp output and volume control to an amplifier
Given the specs and the power draw of my HE1000se headphones, I wasn't expecting any sound difference. I wanted the better UI, hopefully running cooler, and future proof with more output power. I VASTLY prefer the new color UI and love the FFT display. I only have two minor complaints: The remotes are still super crappy/cheap quality. For a combined purchase price of $1300 USD, I'd hope for better. No AAA batteries were included for the remotes. Thankfully I had some on hand. Again, for $1300 they should be included.

marcom22

Given the specs and the power draw of my HE1000se headphones, I wasn't expecting any sound difference. I wanted the better UI, hopefully running cooler, and future proof with more output power. I VASTLY prefer the new color UI and love the FFT display. I only have two minor complaints: The remotes are still super crappy/cheap quality. For a combined purchase price of $1300 USD, I'd hope for better. No AAA batteries were included for the remotes. Thankfully I had some on hand. Again, for $1300 they should be included.
Why 1300 $?

Phony846

One quibble with the A70 Pro firmware instructions, a standard USB-C to USB-C cable does NOT work for firmware updates. Due to what I suspect is non-USB IF compliant USB port, it needs USB-C to USB-A cable for the virtual firmware drive to appear on the computer. The A90D has the same gimped port. Too bad to see Topping ignore USB standards and not fix the USB-C port.

Last edited:

Phony846

If anyone wants to mount your D70 Pro/A70 Pro combo under your desk or a shelf, I designed this heavy duty black powder coated steel offset bracket. It's produced by Protocase.com. When I did my order it was $84 for the bracket, and a one time setup fee of $40, for $124 total. It also works perfectly for the D90se/A90D combo.

Just download the free Protocase designer (Windows/Mac), then load the PDA file. No CAD changes are needed. They are super fast and the bracket is very high quality.

Protocase Designer (Free)
Protocase DAC-AMP PDA

IMG_3618.jpeg
2023-06-17_16-06-55.jpg

ThatGuyYouKnow

Looking at both the Silver or Black in this picture, I think I prefer the Silver as the screen looks more pronounce as well as the jacks. Any silver owners here and what do you guys think?

It's a tough call for this stack. Silver was an easy choice for me with the E70/L70, mainly because it accents really well. I think I would probably go with black for the A70/D70 Pros.

ommadusk

Is the A70 Pro equally a high specification speaker preamplifer, one that's better than the Pre90, as well as a high specification headphone amplifier? Topping calls it a headphone amplifier and Amir's skipped some of the preamplifier tests so I'm not clear.

Last edited:

PTGDAEMON

So how does it perform compared to THX or NFCA amps? Does it have spacious 3D scene or is it more 'in your face' type of sound?

DearSX

Just got mine yesterday and connected it to my WiiM Pro, Parasound A21, Denafrips Pontus, and Linton speakers, at first with RCA which was an improvement compared to my Schiit SYS and my 20 year old pre-amp. Moving to XLR and low gain and things I think got a bit better. My system sounds pretty well balanced all around, not perfect by any means, but just listenable and the most enjoyable in a while. Bass is more defined, highs are more clear, dynamics are better, and sound stage, more details are clear and placing is better. Seems a little bit brighter too, so I need to give it more time and get used to the sound and see.

I had the Pre90 in the past for 30 days, and it cleared up my system and sounded sharper and better than it had overall with Kef LS50 and Concept 50s, didn't have the Linton's then. Can't do a back to back comparison, but at this point I think the A70 Pro is better for me and my system, and I may just stay put now in terms of Preamp. I have the P70 coming in today, I will see how that does in my system next and try the Concept 50s also.

Attachments

• Topping A70 Pro.jpg
    Topping A70 Pro.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

ommadusk

Just got mine yesterday and connected it to my WiiM Pro, Parasound A21, Denafrips Pontus, and Linton speakers, at first with RCA which was an improvement compared to my Schiit SYS and my 20 year old pre-amp. Moving to XLR and low gain and things I think got a bit better. My system sounds pretty well balanced all around, not perfect by any means, but just listenable and the most enjoyable in a while. Bass is more defined, highs are more clear, dynamics are better, and sound stage, more details are clear and placing is better. Seems a little bit brighter too, so I need to give it more time and get used to the sound and see.

I had the Pre90 in the past for 30 days, and it cleared up my system and sounded sharper and better than it had overall with Kef LS50 and Concept 50s, didn't have the Linton's then. Can't do a back to back comparison, but at this point I think the A70 Pro is better for me and my system, and I may just stay put now in terms of Preamp. I have the P70 coming in today, I will see how that does in my system next and try the Concept 50s also.
I wonder if the Pontus II colours the sound at all, and whether you could benefit from a Delta sigma DAC? I've only had limited experience with the Ares II and I thought the sound was coloured though I might have been wrong.

DearSX

I wonder if the Pontus II colours the sound at all, and whether you could benefit from a Delta sigma DAC? I've only had limited experience with the Ares II and I thought the sound was coloured though I might have been wrong.

I was wondering that, I ordered the new SMLS-1 DAC for $80, looks like it has better performance (SINAD) than most any R2R DAC. I will be testing that soon.

Top Bottom