• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A50s Headphone Amplifier Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This is probably a really dumb question, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the differences between the A50s and the L30. The L30 seems to have higher performance and is cheaper, and they're both single-ended amps. What am I missing?
A50s has BAL out.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Its a conglomerate :p
This is from the highest authority on being honest and independent.
Sheesh. How dare him!
Jokes aside. Before I joined, this was a 20 people company with self assembly line, R&D (4 people), and testing, reparing departments. Now it's 30+ people one with 6 people in R&D.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Thx, that was what I was missing.
A50s has 4.4mm balanced, compatibility with AC supply like P50, stacks beautifully with A50. Upcoming A30 Pro will perfect stack with D30/D30 Pro DACs, will have more SE power than L30 and A50s.

But I agree features/power comparison picture between L30/A30 Pro/A50s/A90 will be helpful in the future :p

6 people in R&D.
Nice!

bahamot

A50s has 4.4mm balanced, compatibility with AC supply like P50, stacks beautifully with A50. Upcoming A30 Pro will perfect stack with D30/D30 Pro DACs, will have more SE power than L30 and A50s.

But I agree features/power comparison pictyre between L30/A30 Pro/A50s/A90 will be helpful in the future :p

Nice!
2db00163c6a8355bcd3f2594cd832b4a.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
This is a start, but A30 Pro will have 4.4mm/4-pin XLR connector, but internally single ended. A50s is 4.4mm balanced (amir measured 4x power).
I guess you can figure it out if SE and BAL output power is same, though :p

Anyway, getting off-topic.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Its a conglomerate :p
This is from the highest authority on being honest and independent.
:D:D

"That is a amazing find, I didnt realize that either but it makes sense. Explains why all those "different" brands have so much in common. I am particularly amused that they used a Japanese name, presumably so people wouldnt realize its from Shenzhen.

Quite a conglomerate there, that is basically all the big CHIFI dac/amp companies.

Didnt realize there was a SMSL-Topping website either. They also have a Z reviews button which doesnt actually work and 404s lol. Appropriate!

I must say that is a pretty shady looking website, it comes up as NOT SECURE in my Chrome and many of the links are broken. Some of the prices are hilariously bad as well. The A30/D30 Stack says originally $219.99 now its $499.99 / piece! What a deal!"

I had a great laugh reading through that conspiracy theory...

Aoshida / SMSL / Topping / Aune all lumped together .... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

levimax

Major Contributor
It appears headphone amps are solved, the only thing missing is well executed low noise and low distortion tone controls. Computer based DSP tone controls don’t cut it compared to “dialing in the sound” with some real knobs…. while amps can be more or less perfect many recordings are not.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The A50s uses the JRC NJW1195 volume control chip which is rated at .001% typical. Amir's testing showed .00009%. Just curious if JRC is way under estimating their chips or if Topping is testing and using only the best performers.
Look carefully my brother.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those who wonder what the power-hungry 'phones are:

HiFiMan HE-6 planar needs around 2.0 watts​
AKG K1000 I heard they need about 5 watts​
Audeze planar need close to 1 watt (maybe this has changed, I dunno. My LCD2's needed almost 1 watt.)​
None of those cans NEED that wattage unless you want to deafen yourself. No headphone NEEDS 1 watt—all of the above headphones you mention were designed before there were any head amps that generated 1 watt.

Top Bottom