• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
correct.

JoostE

Yeah that is true. There is not going to be a lot of headphones that need more power than it already has SE.

Have people opened this amp to see what kind of architecture is inside? Curious if there is any class A bias in there with all those venting holes

Phos

Would a differential amp have the same volume from RCA and XLR inputs (assuming spec voltage)?

Lapluto

I just got this amp during the Amazon prime days and I love it! I feel like this powerful single ended amp revived my beloved k812 that I’ve been kept in box for 5 years. Thanks @JohnYang1997 !
One quick question though, I know single ended adapters will short balance outputs, but does it work backwards? I don’t have any balanced dacs but I would like my a30pro to be able to switch between two single ended dacs. Can I use one dac 2rca to 2rca and another one 2rca to 2xlr to a30pro?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I just got this amp during the Amazon prime days and I love it! I feel like this powerful single ended amp revived my beloved k812 that I’ve been kept in box for 5 years. Thanks @JohnYang1997 !
One quick question though, I know single ended adapters will short balance outputs, but does it work backwards? I don’t have any balanced dacs but I would like my a30pro to be able to switch between two single ended dacs. Can I use one dac 2rca to 2rca and another one 2rca to 2xlr to a30pro?
Yes you can

AXR

Big kudos for the FANTASTIC performance achieved as usual, it's basically a SE endgame dream come true. :)

Just as a friendly feedback, for the sake of consistency around the product concept itself (a SE monster), it would have been great to see just SE port connectors in order to avoid confusion about whether it's a balanced amp or not, only the 6.35 mm and the missing 3.5 mm (instead of the much less used 4.4 pentaconn).

I can understand that it would result in a very empty front I/O, but who knows, maybe it could be the perfect chance for a true DAC/AMP endgame in a similar form factor? A DX3 Pro on steroids with this kind of performance (and the D30 Pro's) and both 6.35/3.5 mm connectors (a DX7 Pro MKII?), letting the future "DX9 Pro" as the ultimate balanced all-in-one solution. It would be amazing and much more consistent with your current line-up naming scheme.
It fooled me into buying a balanced 4.4 mm cable. LOL should have read more closely.

the_brunx

Before I do it, Is there anything that speaks against using an A30 pro to power a STAX SRD7 transformer to power electrostatic headphones? They say you need about 4 watts or more from any speaker amp.

Just reporting, It works great, even with reserve power for a little EQ. My electrostatic headphones have never sounded cleaner. no speaker amp I have tried comes close to this solution in fidelity.

PoisonRoses

Dx7 pro 1.jpg

Hi all, 1st time posting here in ASR after so long being a silent reader.

Just got my a30 pro, been using DX7 pro for quite some time. The headphones out differences are quite noticeable. The a30 pro, low freq and bass are punchier and fuller, which makes me think the highs are not as sharp as DX7 pro. A30 pro definitely sounded warmer than headphone out of DX7 pro. I always thinking that DX7 pro headphone out is a bit sterile, bass and low freq didn't pack enough punch and central spectrum of the sound sounded softer than bilateral hard left and right spectrum which sounded louder. 1 more thing, a30 pro is definitely dead silent(all gain settings) on all of my iems and headphones. On DX7 pro, there is always audible background noise on all my iems and headphone except on my cheap planar(hifiman he400se). I'm happy with my purchase of a30 pro with good discounted price although now it's a bit hassle to switch to my monitor speaker output. DX7 pro is still a good all rounder dac/headamp/preamp.

Adahn

The a30 pro, low freq and bass are punchier and fuller, which makes me think the highs are not as sharp as DX7 pro. A30 pro definitely sounded warmer than headphone out of DX7 pro. I always thinking that DX7 pro headphone out is a bit sterile, bass and low freq didn't pack enough punch and central spectrum of the sound sounded softer than bilateral hard left and right spectrum which sounded louder.

Oh come on

PoisonRoses

Oh come on
I'm sorry if my explanation seems off, but there is different between those 2. The things that made me wanted something else is because i'm annoyed with the background noise/hiss (whatever it was called) on DX7 pro.

Anmol

Forum Donor
On a30pro, What happens if you leave 2 headphones plugged in simultaneously ie one in balanced output other in 1/4 output and power on?

Top Bottom