• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I use my A30 pro with an RME over xlr. The RME can output 19dBu over xlr (~6.9 volts). I typically I have my volume set to 11dBu (2.75Vrms). However I have left it running at 6.9volts before. Nothing really happens except that it seems a little bit louder. It doesn't shut off or go into protection mode. Also, I would imagine the engineers when designing this amp have to account for all the different types of input voltage this unit would be seeing. If they made a device that could only funciton within a very narrow window. I am sure we would have heard about already! @JohnYang1997 are Amir's measurements for power output taken at 4V input? However, I am guessing since the listed sensitivity is 2.7 that maximum power is seen at this point.
I think so, as normally DACs have 4V output for balance output.

3kweave

The reason I got the a30 pro is because you need a lot of power to add in 10dB of low shelf eq and then listen to a song with tons of bass. It sounds like I have a subwoofer on my head. The RME ADI can't really pull that off. I do have very inefficient planar headphones. I wonder if there is an actual explanation (beyond bias/placebo) why some amps sound more bass heavy or warm?

Haze

So, I have been reading that the A30 Pro's stated power output is misleading because Topping measured it using a 5 VRMS dac. What kind of power output would you be getting using a bog standard 2 VRMS dac plugged into the things RCAs?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So, I have been reading that the A30 Pro's stated power output is misleading because Topping measured it using a 5 VRMS dac. What kind of power output would you be getting using a bog standard 2 VRMS dac plugged into the things RCAs?
Input sensitivity is 2.7V. If you use 4V input it's much more than enough for full power. If the design made 2V full power the gain would be too high with XLR input.

Haze

Input sensitivity is 2.7V. If you use 4V input it's much more than enough for full power. If the design made 2V full power the gain would be too high with XLR input.

Okay. So how much power does the amp put out when used with a 2vrms dac?

the_brunx

Before I do it, Is there anything that speaks against using an A30 pro to power a STAX SRD7 transformer to power electrostatic headphones? They say you need about 4 watts or more from any speaker amp.

AXR

Just bought one to pair with Gustard X-16 which also got high praise by Amir.

Phos

So I take it there's nothing that accounts for the input level difference between RCA and XLR (assuming normal voltage)? Would a differential amp have that ability?
Before I do it, Is there anything that speaks against using an A30 pro to power a STAX SRD7 transformer to power electrostatic headphones? They say you need about 4 watts or more from any speaker amp.
First I've heard of someone running an electrostat transformer off a headphone amp, not sure what the current requirements are.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

VariousArtists

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

VariousArtists

Turns out these 2 are not available immediately in the UK.

I found this one instead with the same pin layout:

TISINO 6.35mm Jack to XLR Cable, Nylon Braid Quarter inch 1/4" TRS Stereo Jack to XLR Male Balanced Interconnect Cord Patch Lead - 2m https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083R48YRS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8C1H61TBBQT8673E397W?psc=1

Top Bottom