• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Pan

question for you, because my initial thoughts were similar.
when you say " TS to RCA converter " is a special device or just a cable?
In the local market, I found TSR to RCA (cable)
I already have a good RCA cable. I bought TS to RCA converter like this
1621590639863.png

Pan

I really doubt that kind of adapter is well suited to be used with balanced TRS to single ended RCA. Could work fine, could work terrible..
It's working. I have been using it for 1 month without issue. The TS adapter will convert the TRS output to unbalanced, this is by design.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's working. I have been using it for 1 month without issue. The TS adapter will convert the TRS output to unbalanced, this is by design.
I'd say don't do that. You are shorting out the negative side of the output.

Pan

I'd say don't do that. You are shorting out the negative side of the output.
I see, points noted.
EDITED:
I A/B by connecting Right channel to D30Pro and Left channel to A30pro using TS converter. There are differences in sound, and here are my findings
RIGHT. Volume slightly lower and smoother/warmer
LEFT. Volume slightly louder, clearer, more treble, and to my untrained ears, they sound nicer. No noise or hum.
I found it strange cause by right, connected via TS converter on A30pro the volume should've drop but it doesn't.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So even using E30 to feed the A30Pro, the power output of the A30Pro 4.4 and 6.35 will be the same as using an XLR balanced DAC ?
Firstly the input voltage only changes the level. The circuit is still the same. Even though you don't get the "full power" it doesn't matter does it? It's not any different than having a volume knob turned down a bit.
The power is the same for 16 ohm. You lose a bit at 32ohm and eventually about half at 300ohm.

Beau

Guys did I misunderstood something? so RCA input can play Rca out only? because I tried E30 DAC rca to A30pro and balanced out to power speakers and there was no sound... or did I do something wrong?
Trs to XLR cables are new just bought them.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Guys did I misunderstood something? so RCA input can play Rca out only? because I tried E30 DAC rca to A30pro and balanced out to power speakers and there was no sound... or did I do something wrong?
Yes. That's passthrough. You only get what you feed to it.

Beau

Yes. That's passthrough. You only get what you feed to it.
Please can you explain it to me what is passthrough? so it literally passthrough the signal from DAC to the speaker, the amp did not enhance the sound even just a little bit?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Please can you explain it to me what is passthrough? so it literally passthrough the signal from DAC to the speaker, the amp did not enhance the sound even just a little bit?
Yes. Simple wire connection basically.

Veri

Master Contributor
Pass-through is passive. Pre-amp is active/converting. A30 Pro does not have an active pre-amp functionality.

Beau

Pass-through is passive. Pre-amp is active/converting. A30 Pro does not have an active pre-amp functionality.
So that's where D30pro comes I assume if you have(want) this combo, right?
A90 is the same in this manner?

Pan

Yes, RCA input can only bypass RCA (unblanaced) out. If you want bypass to balanced out, you need to XLR (Balanced) as input.

Neil.D.S

Firstly the input voltage only changes the level. The circuit is still the same. Even though you don't get the "full power" it doesn't matter does it? It's not any different than having a volume knob turned down a bit.
The power is the same for 16 ohm. You lose a bit at 32ohm and eventually about half at 300ohm.

Apologies if I come across ignorant, but how is not getting “full power” an issue if power is cut by half for 300 ohm headphones? I don’t want to get into a debate about how much power a 300 ohm headphone needs but cutting power by half is significant no?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
According to toppings product page 2.7V input in single ended will result in max output power available in high gain.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Apologies if I come across ignorant, but how is not getting “full power” an issue if power is cut by half for 300 ohm headphones? I don’t want to get into a debate about how much power a 300 ohm headphone needs but cutting power by half is significant no?
Do you listen at full volume or need that power? If yes, then it's important for you. Otherwise, it's not a big deal. You always use volume control to reduce the volume right? However the same is true that you don't need to buy an amp just because it has high power output.
10Vrms is still a lot for 300Ohm. Still more than 300mW.
If one buys an high power amp because of headroom then it doesn't matter what voltage the DAC outputs it is still the same circuit, same amplifier that is able to produce that amount of power. Although one really doesn't need to buy an amp because there's power in reserve.

Megatronic

Hello. Using a30 pro with d10s, its ok stack, but I want to buy a balanced DAC, atm have 2 options: d30 pro and smsl su-9. Is there any difference between the two? And is it worth overpaying for su 9? Or maybe there are some other alternatives?

Top Bottom