• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tips when buying a music CD?

xSyax123

People who still buy music CDs, what things do they take into account when choosing an edition and making a good purchase?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
People who still buy music CDs, what things do they take into account when choosing an edition and making a good purchase?

Trying to get the best master of a cd.
Stevehoffmann forum is very helpful for that.

The best sinad numbers are worthless if you listen to a compressed cd with the dynamic range of a potato. Same goes for "hi-res" files.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wherever possible, I try and buy the original release, not a remaster, bonus edition or anything other than the original release. This generally means buying used, but with CDs, that doesn't matter. With a possible very few exceptions, I don't know of any re-release that was better than the original.

S.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the way it is with CDs is that you already have plenty of resources to research that edition... and with guys here spending $1,000+ on every component spending a few bucks on CDs isnt a big deal.

if i like the music enough I have no issue owning a 1st edition and the later remaster.

Open Mind Audio

I read the Hoffman forum discussions - with the understanding there are a wide range of opinions shared there, some of which I won't agree with. Sometimes an original pressing has advantages, e.g., the first Van Halen CDs are more prized among collectors than the 90s remasters. Other times, however, the originals are lower quality and the remasters show improvements. Only way to determine is listen yourself, but fortunately, you can find versions cheap and have fun experimenting with your favorite albums.

As for a few tips:
  • Look for pressings from 1989 or earlier
  • Early pressings (1982-84) are sometimes collectible and can be fun to own in their own right
  • Among early pressings, look for distinctive labels -- target labels but also funky designs
  • Smooth-sided jewel cases are often appreciated by collectors, since they were used on early pressings
  • On later pressings, do your research on the best masters, remasters, and mixes
  • Discogs prices are a great indication of what others value -- for example, check out the varied prices for CDs of Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat. You can learn a lot about CDs by tracking the value of a much-appreciated title like that. Other examples: Led Zeppellin IV, Dylan's classics, Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust editions, and releases from the major metal bands will give you a feel for what others value in various pressings and masters.
  • Condition is really important, for collecting AND listening ... always check for pinholes, which can render parts of a disc unusable
  • Japanese pressings, like French wine, can be overpriced because everyone values them, but they are worth it for albums you love -- and great if you can find them in a bargain bin
These are some tips I follow, along with the most important one of buying music I like.

Last edited:

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Japan edition, if possible.

Top Bottom