• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DENON DVD2200 vs new CD player

Hi everyone,

For playing my CDs I still have an old DENON DVD-2200 in very good condition which is also a 3-mode SACD player (CD-Stereo-Multi). It's connected to my smsl DO300 DAC via the S/PDIF coaxial output and via the FL-FR analog output to an analog input on my Yamaha AV amplifier. Unfortunately, for SACD, it has no digital outputs, so I make do with stereo listening using DENON's internal DAC.

I wonder if with the digital cable to the DAC the performance is really the same compared to a new YAMAHA CD-S303 CD player, assuming my Denon DVD player has no problems.

In my opinion today finding a good cheap SACD/CD player is a challenge...
What are your opinions, has anyone taken any measurements?
Thank you

coonmanx

My opinion is that all CD players basically sound the same. In the bedroom I have a Scott CD player from around 1987. Downstairs in the living room is a Panasonic portable player with MASH made around 1995. And finally in the basement a JVC from around 1992. All sound very good.

Each to his own and I have not taken any measurements. But I think this whole DAC thing has gotten out of control. Is it just more snake oil? I think so.

Now SACD... I have zero experience with that.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
In my opinion today finding a good cheap SACD/CD player is a challenge...
SACD never went mainstream but it may have done better than DVD-Audio (maybe because hybrid discs were somewhat common).

What are your opinions, has anyone taken any measurements?
I've never actually heard it... There's probably a measurable difference because SACD/DSD goes WAY beyond the audible frequency range (where it contains lots of noise that hopefully is mostly filtered-out).

With the same stereo recording, regular CD audio is generally better than human hearing so "good enough" and there is no advantage to SACD.

Of course, surround tracks will be different.

The SACD (or SACD layer) might be mastered differently than the CD (or DC layer) and it may have less dynamic compression and in that case it could sound better.

There are ways of ripping SACD but it seems to require specific hardware and it doesn't look easy.

OP
W
In other words and only for CD transportation (S/PDIF connection), could I receive better sound quality using a Yamaha CD-S303 or Marantz CD-6007 with the same connection?
Thank you.

Top Bottom