• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tiny House in Tokyo has a nice sound system

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

i came across this to see how other countries deal with housing...

the pic is at 0'58" - owner has a nice integrated but of course i wonder how this sounds in a compromised room

but cute to see how they live

JSmith

Master Contributor
1696921684861.png

MA5200-GG.jpg

Looks like a McIntosh MA5200... surprised considering their living space that this amp was "affordable", about $7k new? Then again, I suppose housing density is high in Japan in general.

JSmith

JLGF1

"The average floor area per home in Tokyo is 65.18 square meters."

Snoopy

Major Contributor
"The average floor area per home in Tokyo is 65.18 square meters."

65 square meters is alright really for 2 people.
I'm living with my wife in a 54 square meters apartment In Germany. And for a while when friends visited, we where 4 people.

While we lived 6 months in Bangkok we rented a 35 Square meters apartment.
That's where there was really no space for a big TV or a nice stereo system.

So that little house in the Video looks really nice to me :) I'm surprised they squeezed a turntable setup in there. And McIntosh. Would have assumed they would go with a nice Japanese integrated amp.

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think i might be looking at Japan with rose tinited glasses but its hard to come to any other conclusion that we messed up here in the west

how did we get to a point where an avg. two bed apartment is many hundreds of thousands and rent $2,000 a month plus.

I mean I get that we dont want to live in 65 squares but there should be something in between and to see how affordable rent is in Japan.

And also how 'over capitalised' some are here.... my dad has a 6 bed house 3 car garages huge block on two storeys that is in a wealthy suburb that is many multiples of millions, that i will probably have to go back to soon. I have two kids, one already in university, one is a toddler and so I think that some urban spaces are unsustainable unable to be economically managed unless you are already very wealthy.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That doesn't look like an "affordable" home to me.

oyama

I was a little curious, so I looked for additional resources.

Giving priority to the location, they purchased a 10 tsubo (33 square meters) plot of land in their desired location that fit their budget. Although the initial plan was to build a two-story house, the wife, who had read in a book that a commoner's row house in the Edo period at that time was 9 shaku 2 ken (9.6 m2) where a family of four lived, said "6 tsubo is too big," which led to the planning of a one-story house with a total floor area of 19 m2.

oh...

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I like it, they live a life of minimalism. Except for that record player, he would be better served by getting rid of the records and freeing up space. Streaming gives you a massive music "collection" and takes up hardly any space at all.

You guys heard of Parkinson's Law? Demand rises to meet supply. Examples are, expenditure rises to meet income, time dilates to meet a deadline, appetite expands to meet the size of dinner. With housing, the amount of crap that you hoard expands to meet your living space. This is definitely true, after I moved to a larger house it only took me a few years to fill it up with crap again. I was telling the wife that we should move to a smaller house so that it would force us to get rid of all the crap.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I like it, they live a life of minimalism. Except for that record player, he would be better served by getting rid of the records and freeing up space. Streaming gives you a massive music "collection" and takes up hardly any space at all.

You guys heard of Parkinson's Law? Demand rises to meet supply. Examples are, expenditure rises to meet income, time dilates to meet a deadline, appetite expands to meet the size of dinner. With housing, the amount of crap that you hoard expands to meet your living space. This is definitely true, after I moved to a larger house it only took me a few years to fill it up with crap again. I was telling the wife that we should move to a smaller house so that it would force us to get rid of all the crap.
Somehow I sense a contradiction of cosmic proportions when I think of minimalism and McIntosh (to say nothing of record player). ;)

Top Bottom