• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First measurements with HouseCurve app

drmevo

I hope this is OK to post and ask about here - I didn’t see another forum or thread for these types of questions.

I’ve just started playing around with the HouseCurve app (iOS audio system tuning app). I’ve done some reading here and elsewhere but it’s always nice to get feedback from people who are more knowledgeable if possible.

I don’t have a means of EQ or DSP in my system at this time, just treble and bass tone controls. Most of my listening is WiiM Mini or turntable>Parasound NewClassic 200 Integrated>Kef LS50 Meta + Klipsch sub (planning to upgrade the sub to an SVS or two eventually). I also have an AVR connected via Home Theater Bypass, but that has its own room correction so I’m not too concerned with that. My understanding is that the sub itself should be set to LFE so each pre-amp can manage low pass independently. On my Parasound, I only have fixed 80Hz low pass and full outputs, currently using the 80Hz. There is also an adjustable high pass filter set around 50Hz.

With that out of the way, here is where I’m at after some fiddling with the filters, sub level and the like:
IMG_0349.png

Room is mid-sized, oddly shaped but roughly 16x19ft and opens to two other levels of the house on the back wall. There’s no formal treatment. My feeling is there is a lot working against me. I can try to sketch it out if that would help.

Any pointers on what/how to tackle here? Is my biggest concern the peak around 17k, or in the lower region where there some peaks and dips? Or any further information needed to make any kind of suggestions? Thanks for any help!

jhwalker

First, ignore the peak at 17k - you won't hear it.

Second, focus on smoothing the response below 500 - THAT, you will hear.

Once that's straightened out, you can look at the heightened response between 500-2k and the lowered response from 2k-5k. I leave that area alone (to me, that's kind of the intrinsic "signature" of the speakers), but might be worth a little EQ to see if it makes a difference to you.

OP
D

drmevo

First, ignore the peak at 17k - you won't hear it.

Second, focus on smoothing the response below 500 - THAT, you will hear.

Once that's straightened out, you can look at the heightened response between 500-2k and the lowered response from 2k-5k. I leave that area alone (to me, that's kind of the intrinsic "signature" of the speakers), but might be worth a little EQ to see if it makes a difference to you.
Thanks! I suppose I can try the EQ in the WiiM app, but then that wouldn't really help my vinyl setup. If trying to resolve manually, do you think speaker/sub placement changes would help? Or is it one of those things where there are too many variables, just keep trying things and see what works? This is my first shot at room correction.

jhwalker

Thanks! I suppose I can try the EQ in the WiiM app, but then that wouldn't really help my vinyl setup. If trying to resolve manually, do you think speaker/sub placement changes would help? Or is it one of those things where there are too many variables, just keep trying things and see what works? This is my first shot at room correction.
If you don't have access to a room correction system (e.g., REW measurements + convolution in Roon, Audyssey / Dirac, etc., in a processor and / or receiver, etc.), positioning your subs properly is probably your best bet (and your first step even IF using RC).

I'm no expert (my room really only has a couple good positions for speakers / subs, so I've had to compromise), but here's a primer on the subject: https://www.svsound.com/blogs/subwoofer-setup-and-tuning/75365187-the-art-of-subwoofer-placement

Top Bottom