• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mod House Argon mk3 in the house, after over 3 years of yearning and they're fantastic!

drewdawg999

Oh woe was me, with my LCD-2 getting kind of stale, as was my OG HE-400. It's been like 8 years with my 2 planars. Sure I could EQ some bass boost, but still something was missing. Enter the Mod House Argon mk3, just what I needed with its party animal sound signature. Big booming impactful bass that I find quite wonderful and not muddy. I like the treble as some peaks have been tamed but still plenty of impact there, and the midrange is smooth. Some people don't like it, don't think it measures up to higher end cans, but I think it hangs in there quite nicely. And I'm not using any EQ, seeing as these have been very carefully tuned, I need to drink it all in naturally. Driving with a THX 789 & DO100 stack, makes a very nice combo, plenty of power out of the XLR output using a Periapt balanced cable.
20231104_171109.jpg

I got them used and they actually arrived with a dead left channel. Hugely disappointed but got a partial refund, a fair settlement. Then I drank a big bowl of courage and peeled back some felt to get to the screws, and I took the sucker apart. The problem was obvious, there was a detached loose wire. I just soldered that sucker back in place and now all is well. Here's some pics of the gory insides:
20231104_124518.jpg

20231104_125124.jpg

20231104_125350.jpg

So then there were 3... planars... in my collection. I love them all, all with XLR cables for tremendous oomph out of the THX 789. I'm definitely getting planar bass rumble when playing slightly loud, and I love that sensation. It tickles me. Tickles me silly in fact. But the comfort edge has to go to the Argons, they just feel so nice on my head, not too heavy. The headstrap is a nice addition, so soft and comfy, as are the protein pads which are like big pillows. Classic rock is good on the Argons, but where they really shine is on EDM, hip-hop, and reggae, as well as classic soul. Man, rumble rumble, feels so nice.

OP
drewdawg999

drewdawg999

The operative word I forgot to mention: SLAM. These Argons are slammin'! Not just in the bass for they surely do that, but snare hits rattle my skull and kicks roll my molars. Percussion is thrilling and palpable. These are the most fun headphones I've ever had, amazing what kind of sound is emitted by these tiny little planar drivers. Kudos to Ryan, the one-man-show at Mod House, these are quite the achievement. Now I just have to save up for Tungstens as the next logical step (not bloody likely to ever happen but sometimes it's nice to dream).

OP
drewdawg999

drewdawg999

Well I found measurements done by unheardlab here. The FR with different pads from mine look like this:
graph-37-ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg-converter.jpg

Don't know what the FR is with protein pads but it's probably something similar. This sound is not for everybody, not the last word in detail or anything, but it's an awful lot of fun and kicks much ass, especially in mid-bass and sub-bass.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
lucky you with having the cable loose on the speaker side, my RP's (Dekoni's) have a knick in the cable at the headband side and i haven't been able to get a DIY solution for it without completely tearing apart the hadband itself :facepalm:

Top Bottom