• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Time to change: FDA, Tidal & co

lecriquet

Hello,

I am currently thinking of switching from my ATOLL IN100 to ... ??

It is driving a pair of SEAS MIMIR (85dB) and I mostly listen TIDAL or DEEZER HiFi through my Chromecast audio (not by WiFi but by ethernet).
I also have a XBOX and occasionally watch TV.

It sounds ok although at low volume it feels slugish and lazy. And, to be honest, it's been 7 years together and I feel like I need a new start.

I heard (well read...) that digital amps are becoming new standards and I would like to try them.

So I don't know what to do:
1/ sell my ATOLL and instead buy a FDA? SMSL Q5 PRO, SMSL AD18, FX D802E or ALIENTEK D8 are on my radar. Or a 2nd hand SMSL A8?
2/ sell my ATOLL and instead buy a DAC+D-amp?
3/ put a DAC between the CCA and the amp. Or buy one that could do all I do with my CCA?

It is very important for me to be able to plug all my devices.
I wouldn't like to spend more than 100€ (you know, WAF and stuff...). I expect to get something ~300€ from my ATOLL

Well, and I am here because of @VintageFlanker from dealabs ;)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey there! :)

I wouldn't like to spend more than 100€ (you know, WAF and stuff...). I expect to get something ~300€ from my ATOLL
Franckly speaking, I don't think you'll be able to get any D/FDA amp fitting your power requirment AND your budget. The In100 is supposed to provide 100W/8Ohms. No FDA amp is actually that powerfull. I don't know about the measured performace of In100, but I really doubt it would perform worse than a Q5 Pro or AD18.

I mostly listen TIDAL or DEEZER HiFi through my Chromecast audio (not by WiFi but by ethernet).
I also have a XBOX and occasionally watch TV.

Best solution would be a DAC with two optical inputs + a Ncore amp, ideally the NC252MP, but it will go way above your budget.

From the way I see it, a second hand A8 will have a good DAC, 5 digital inputs, and a good enough amp (ICEPower 125AS2). I would seek in that direction.;)

It sounds ok although at low volume it feels slugish and lazy.
For this kind of issue, I'm really not sure a DAC alone will do something significant. I'm also afraid your amp si good enough... Maybe you should look for an audition of other, more sensitive speakers?;)

Last edited:
OP
L

lecriquet

Well,

This is not exactly the answer I was expecting :D.

The internet says that those little amplifiers are killing all the "old school" amps, so I was expecting mine to be burried by one of those!
Anyway, I do understand your point of view.

Speakers changing is way too expensive for me at the moment. Mine are DIY and resale value won't be enough to upgrade. That's why I was more focused on amp. D-amp are described as punchy, this is what I was looking for.

To be honest, I am just using 1/4 to max 1/2 of the power of my ATOLL, so I thought I could downgrade.

Just for information, would something like this solve the problem of optical inputs?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The internet says that those little amplifiers are killing all the "old school" amps
If you're talking about FDAs (not D amps), they aren't...far from it: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-and-measurements-of-smsl-ad18-dac-amp.7325/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...q5-pro-dac-and-stereo-amplifier-review.10719/

Average to bad performance... On the other hand, you can't get better all-in-one products for 100€.

Class D amps is another story. Ncore modules deliver State of The Art performance, as new Purifi ones.

To be honest, I am just using 1/4 to max 1/2 of the power of my ATOLL, so I thought I could downgrade
You cannot know how much power you're using from your Atoll just by the volume plot position. That is not "volume at 12 o'clock = 50%" Analog plots don't work that way. ;) Plus, manufacturers often use this famous trick to make you think their amp are powerful. In reality, you just get 80% of power at 11pm... And the opposite also exists.

You'll know your amp is running out of power when 1) you measure it or 2) you hear distortion by reaching the clipping point. That being said, I won't recommend either the AD18 or the Q5 Pro (quite anemic power) for your 85dB speakers
Just for information, would something like this solve the problem of optical inputs?
Yes. But they are many cheaper alternative.;)

OP
L

lecriquet

Ok, thanks.

Average to bad performance... On the other hand, you can't get better all-in-one products for 100€.

My budget is +/-100€ + 300€ from the ATOLL if sold. Maybe it wasn't clear in my first post.

Class D amps is another story.

Tell me more, I love stories :D

That being said, I won't recommend either the AD18 or the Q5 Pro (quite anemic power) for your 85dB speakers

That's clear!

Yes. But they are many cheaper alternative.
Sounds good because this little splitter is very expensive :eek:

If I finally decide to keep everything, I have a question.
I am currently using basic jack->RCA cables to connect my CCA and TV (with Xbox and tv box connected by HDMI).
Is there any chance to get better signal by using all the optical output of my devices?
If yes, how could I transform the signal from optical to RCA before the amplifier?

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers changing is way too expensive for me at the moment. Mine are DIY and resale value won't be enough to upgrade. That's why I was more focused on amp. D-amp are described as punchy, this is what I was looking for.

What speakers do you have? I suspect this is your weak link in your system and you really should upgrade those before you spend any money on anything else.
They are the most likely to have an audible impact on sound quality and biggest bang for your buck. Look at the speaker index in the forum and see what in your price range has the highest preference rating and is recommended via Amir's measurements. If nothing in your budget I think you should wait and save up. Not a popular answer but honestly most cost effective in the long run and earns Wife approval points for using good judgment and wise spending. :)

OP
L

lecriquet

What speakers do you have? I suspect this is your weak link in your system and you really should upgrade those before you spend any money on anything else.
They are the most likely to have an audible impact on sound quality and biggest bang for your buck. Look at the speaker index in the forum and see what in your price range has the highest preference rating and is recommended via Amir's measurements. If nothing in your budget I think you should wait and save up. Not a popular answer but honestly most cost effective in the long run and earns Wife approval points for using good judgment and wise spending. :)
Hello. I currently have a pair of SEAS Mimir and plan to reuse my speaker to build these
I'll give a look to the index though.

Top Bottom