• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal reportedly enabling bit-perfect playback to USB DAC on Android

Smislov

I hope that TIDAL did not deceive me, and that they disabled the use of MQA DAC in their application, sending audio data directly to the Android audio path. That is, when MQA-DAC is detected, Tidal deliberately ignores it and uses the Android audio path. Why TIDAL thinks I should pay another $1000 for a NON-MQA DAC for his desire to get revenge on the MQA guys is beyond me.
If they didn't deceive me, then your NON-MQA DAC WILL be used by TIDAL and you will not see the 96 kHz generated by your Android (my phone runs on 48, and the streamer runs on 96). Tidal canceled the use of MQA DAC after version 2.91.1 (probably the v. 2.92 was the first version they castrated. They did a similar joke with LG phones that had built-in MQA support. They did this after v. 2.24, if I'm not mistaken).
I'm in communication with Tidal ... also on (Amazon HD 10 - OTG USB - DAC) Topping DX3 pro+ without MQA is same :( Tidal on Amazon HD 10 - 11 gen is 2.96.0.1144.146 ...
I'm on Tidal Hi-FI.

1708967566204.jpeg

SashaR

I'm in communication with Tidal ... also on (Amazon HD 10 - OTG USB - DAC) Topping DX3 pro+ without MQA is same :( Tidal on Amazon HD 10 - 11 gen is 2.96.0.1144.146 ...
I'm on Tidal Hi-FI.

View attachment 352471
Let me check if I understood you correctly: on your device the Android audio path is set to 96 kHz, your DAC is NOT an MQA DAC and you are playing back some 44 * 16 track using the TIDAL Android Application - and therefore contrary to TIDAL's explanation , which I received from them, TIDAL DISABLED the use of ALL types of USB DACs, and not just MQA DAC as they “explained” to me: in the photo you took, you can see that the 44-track comes to the DAC as 96 - i.e. it is sent by the application to the ANDROID's aulio tract and is processed (and converted) by the ANDROID into 96, and is NOT sent by the application directly to the DAC.
So: if I understood your message correctly, then a) TIDAL has deceived everyone and b) you can install versions 2.90 - 2.91.1 of the application and be able to use the DAC instead of the Android audio path.

Smislov

Ok ... I have 3 DAC's (Topping EX5 & SMSL DL200 MQA and Topping Ex3 pro+ without MQA) On all of them with Amazon fire 10 tablet 11 gen., OS or Tidal convert music to 96KHz (is not bitperfect). Now last thing to chak is to change OTG USB with some other OTG USB or cable (C to C or some other combination with other DAC's). But I think that problem maybe is with Amazon Fire OS or Tidal... With Iphone OTG USB everything is correct. Also I talking with Tidal support.

Smislov

And with another (new one) Usb is same :) next try is with usb c to usb cable ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5182.jpeg
    IMG_5182.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 21

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Has it not been established that this simply does not work at the moment (has it ever for everybody?)?

Has anyone with an android phone, the tidal app and a dac that displays sample rate got it to work with native sample rate rather than the Android resampling rate for that device?

Fwiw it doesn't work for me on pixel 6 on a14.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Weith iPhone its ok
Suspect the sheer number of Android builds and variants plus immense number of new DACs meant they were getting swamped with tech queries and decided it was too much handle. Shame they left the connection prompt in though!

SashaR

Has it not been established that this simply does not work at the moment (has it ever for everybody?)?

Has anyone with an android phone, the tidal app and a dac that displays sample rate got it to work with native sample rate rather than the Android resampling rate for that device?

I already wrote here that Tidal CANCELED the use of USB DAC and sends audio to the Android audio path, and does not use a DAC - since version 2.92, TIDAL simply does not send audio to DACs. TIDAL told me that they "discovered" a problem when using MQA-DACs :) ... That's why I asked to test the ANDROID application with NON-MQA DACs. Based on the answers here, it is obvious to me that after a long "study" of the reasons for the cancellation of the use of DACs, TIDAL deceived me by saying that they had a problem using MQA-DACs. As I wrote earlier, they canceled the use of DACs In Android applications starting from version 2.92 (version 2.91.1 is still working). You can check your hardware and USB cables using version 2.91 or earlier - everything will work as it should. Why Tidal canceled the use of DACs in Android, I do not know.

Last edited:

SashaR

And with another (new one) Usb is same :) next try is with usb c to usb cable ;)
I already wrote here that Tidal CANCELED the use of USB DAC and sends audio to the Android audio path, and does not use a DAC - since version 2.92, TIDAL simply does not send audio to DACs. TIDAL told me that they "discovered" a problem when using MQA-DACs :) ... That's why I asked to test the ANDROID application with NON-MQA DACs. Based on the answers here, it is obvious to me that after a long "study" of the reasons for the cancellation of the use of DACs, TIDAL deceived me by saying that they had a problem using MQA-DACs. As I wrote earlier, they canceled the use of DACs In Android applications starting from version 2.92 (version 2.91.1 is still working). You can check your hardware and USB cables using version 2.91 or earlier - everything will work as it should. Why Tidal canceled the use of DACs in Android, I do not know.

Last edited:

SashaR

Shame they left the connection prompt in though!
Is that the only thing you regret??? They advertise Hi-Res to you for a higher fee than 44.1 files, and then suddenly, without telling you what they did, they actually start "selling" 44.1 to you at the price of 192*24 - and at the same time they made sure that your equipment that you bought to use 192* files44 has become useless too. Double loss of money and three deceptions (You were not told that you now do not have not only Hi-Res, but also Bit-Perfect - but you continue to pay for both Hi-Res and now useless Hi-Res equipment). And you don't even have Bit-Perfect - and now why do you need high-precision DACs and amplifiers???

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that the only thing you regret??? They advertise Hi-Res to you for a higher fee than 44.1 files, and then suddenly, without telling you what they did, they actually start "selling" 44.1 to you at the price of 192*24 - and at the same time they made sure that your equipment that you bought to use 192* files44 has become useless too. Double loss of money and three deceptions (You were not told that you now do not have not only Hi-Res, but also Bit-Perfect - but you continue to pay for both Hi-Res and now useless Hi-Res equipment). And you don't even have Bit-Perfect - and now why do you need high-precision DACs and amplifiers???
Frustrating as it is, I'm not sure I understand some of what you are saying. Download UAPP- be happy.

Or try the Hiby app- I believe its free and can stream tidal bit perfect.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I just tried it with the latest Tidal update on my S23 Ultra. USB C out to Eversolo Dac Z8. The display on the Z8 shows 48hkz for anything I try on Tidal.

Qobuz seems to be working. Played a 192khz track and the Z8 shows 192khz. Well, maybe not. Played a track that Qobuz labels as 96khz and the Z8 shows 192khz.

Played an Ultra HD track on Amazon and the Z8 shows 192khz. Looks like something is stuck.

Closed everything and have windows left behind showing Roon Arc and Tidal both asking for access to the Z8. Couldn't click ok on either one.

Rebooted my phone and connected the USB C again without opening any apps. Had a pop-up from Roon Arc behind the pop-up from Tidal. I clicked ok to give Tidal access to the Z8 and cancel on Roon Arc.

No luck. With several songs from Tidal, the Z8 is only showing 48khz.

This is something that needs to be fixed in Android. It should be up to the apps to do it.

SashaR

@SashaR where I can download version 2.91 (or how to download ver. 2.91) Tnx?
Try to find by Google "apk tidal" or "tidal apk". There are a number sites with libraries of distributives of applications (named apk). I hope you will able to not download what they want you to download instead/with an apk you needed :) . Tell if you do not find the tidal's apk. You need to uninstall the app with the version that is more than the version of the apk you want to install.

Last edited:

SashaR

I just tried it with the latest Tidal update on my S23 Ultra. USB C out to Eversolo Dac Z8. The display on the Z8 shows 48hkz for anything I try on Tidal.

Qobuz seems to be working. Played a 192khz track and the Z8 shows 192khz. Well, maybe not. Played a track that Qobuz labels as 96khz and the Z8 shows 192khz.

Played an Ultra HD track on Amazon and the Z8 shows 192khz. Looks like something is stuck.

Closed everything and have windows left behind showing Roon Arc and Tidal both asking for access to the Z8. Couldn't click ok on either one.

Rebooted my phone and connected the USB C again without opening any apps. Had a pop-up from Roon Arc behind the pop-up from Tidal. I clicked ok to give Tidal access to the Z8 and cancel on Roon Arc.

No luck. With several songs from Tidal, the Z8 is only showing 48khz.

This is something that needs to be fixed in Android. It should be up to the apps to do it.

Top Bottom