• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THX cinema with pro cinema audio gear

Jonas_h

Can you say something about your choice of speaker layout? I would be surprised if you are able to distinguish between sounds from sides and ceiling speakers as they are very close in angle in regards to the listening position.

The cinema manual for Atmos speaker placement is a lot different and require a good amount of separation between side and top.
Picture1.png

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
sound reflection on back of the seats easy to fix with absorbent on back of the seat

cinema seats.jpg

cinema seats2.jpg
cinema seats1.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
okay some cats . Magic and Bear
nb4.jpg
nb5.jpg

nerdstrike

I'm impressed with how much you have laboured for your cinema, really shocked at how sketchy surround is on home movie formats, and truly astounded that your cats will put up with the racket!

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
well the PLIIx project on hold . strangest encounter with a signal delay ? the avr is producing a delay for its use with Denon 8500 surround outputs connected to onkyo L R and with wiring from onkyo surround outputs connected back to Sony D3000 . i sort noticed the delay with , Glory 1989 5.1 didn't think much at the time , until i watched , Hangar 18 1980 mono with multi stereo channel mode and noticed and calculated somewhere in the order of nearly 70 feet delay ?

i tried the marnatz sr6012 even yamaha RX-V650 and still hearing a delay at least when other channels are also active . what i should of heard is no delay unless i add delay for a reason ?

so fitted Dolby SA10 into the rack rather than the two CP45 i been using . SA10 has modified logic switching for regular Dolby 5.1 or Dolby Stereo for left/right half surrounds . 4th SA10 i have wouldn't mind another one the fancy logic switching is neat which won't get on just any other AVR that has the watered down Dolby EX .

SA10 1.jpg

need do some vacuum cleaning . i been behind the rack quite bit last 3 days

SA10 2.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
I'm impressed with how much you have laboured for your cinema, really shocked at how sketchy surround is on home movie formats, and truly astounded that your cats will put up with the racket!
even as of now they are plotting to see which wires to chew on . :p no wonder i been having some recent snags ?

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
connected the extra channel up . the wiring diagram for it complicated . so using the extra for a below surround at present which is different to how i had it wired 3 days ago . i have to figure out how to wire that back in for certain movie sound formats .

the extra or mono matrix surround i tinkered with idea around 2000 with " hallow man " for a few weeks . i was ahead of sonic whole overhead surround by 2 years .

should have used my DLSR camera for this picture

SA10 3.jpg

given the rack space present just enough for ? either another SDU4 with SD4 EX or maybe dts professional processor , and have to make a DB25 to XLR lead up to connect with Dolby CP750 multi ch analog and just enough space for one more 1U frame audio gear ?

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
laserdisc , saturday night fever 1977
Dolby Stereo 4.2.4 / lucasfilm ltd THX sound system
print version with que dots , rare .
colour is laserdisc good for the year pressing 1982 p/s
analog audio . pcm came about a few years later .

laserdisc artwork is better than that recent 4k artwork .

satld1.jpg

fair decent chapter stops for side 1 and 2

satld2.jpg

satld4.jpg
satld5.jpg
satld6.jpg

which PA speaker is that ? looks maybe like Altec , EV or JBL ?

satld7.jpg

rare que dots for A B or A B C D projectors that often did reel changes then cake platters came in where whole print can be easily threaded lanced up .
so the sound quailty on the print version be diffrent to the dvd 5.1 which is okay but surrprised the colour looks laserdisc decent with good fair Dolby 4.2.4 matrix .

satld8.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
part of the wiring diagram for Dolby SA10 . the wiring for " extra channel " is printed on back panel of the SA10

Screenshot 2022-11-29 23.28.17.png

special logic circuit allows for conventional left/right half surround configuration which my THX cinema can do for all proper surround signature reference sound playback .

Screenshot 2022-11-29 23.29.12.png

Screenshot 2022-11-29 23.36.33.png

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
i show the THX cimarron before movie starts . watched r2 dvd on the video projector last week which looked good with resizing the w/s so it appears at same height as scope movie . i thought i watch the laserdisc on the oled which looked fine and surprised no laser-rot for 1982 pressing as held up very well

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
possible the professional dts cad 5 may get installed today . got wait for the solderless DB25 to arrive and will have to solder the XLR connectors for the dts cad 5 while the DB25 connects to the Dolby CP750 multi channel input

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
led multi zone/colour lighting responding to infersonic low frequencies via my JBL THX sound system . the lighting box i guess may have steep type elliptical filter starting around under 900KHz as the lighting doesn't respond to high frequencies least for one i have . sensitivity of the microphone is good . the lighting responded down to with extra few + dB 8Hz !

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
star wars phantom menace , playing in five screen wide ! with Dolby SA10 EX testing extension surround adaptor with sidewall surround arrays and back surround arrays .
SA10 handles well .
the more i watch the visuals i hear more with john williams score LSO and choir voices which if can break them all down on the steam tracks can have the choir voices panning around floor level to up along sidewall surrounds and whooshing overhead to create a wow listening for the THX audience is listening

Last edited:
OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
the more i watch star wars the phantom menace ( minus jar jar binks ) the more i see and listening to hidden sound detail extras i can turn into channels .

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
behringer class d

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
happy thoughts when seeing my cats Magic and Bear licking each other
close encounters of the fur kind

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
DB25 male as arrived but some delay for install of the dts processor .
trying to solve the complexity of using the Dolby SA10 with the other cinema processors that has kept me up thinking of which way to do the special wiring ? surrounds are connected from Denon 8500 to the SA10 and the outputs of the SA10 are looped back to the main Sony SDDS D3000 to AUX 1 for Ls Rs , where's rear back surrounds and left/right halves of the standard surrounds and " extra " are also wired into 2nd Sony SDDS D3000 on AUX 2 . where AUX 1 has the Denon rear back surrounds for 7.1/atmos . so complicated it is . and now i have to figure out how to make Dolby Stereo CP200 connect up with SA10 . the usually wiring for it is straightforward and even that would have presented snags with sound format switching .

i think i be able to do a wiring modification to the DB25 multi switcher box and connect to the input of SA10 with four wires of +Ls +Rs

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
professional dts cad 5 installed up and running .

tested with laserdisc , apollo 13 dts THX , lucasfilm ltd THX sound system .

got the dts cad 5 some 9 years ago and only tested . been on the install list for 9 years . i got cats to look after and feed .

had to make short custom 8channel XLR to solderless DB25 phoenix connector that mates with Dolby CP750 above as the dts cad doesn't have fader same as Dolby DA20 or most cinema dts decoders and the Dolby CP is used for fader control though one of the AUX or multi channel external inputs . no EQ as all EQ is done at the Dolby CP or SDDS or other .

there is bundle of features on this , cad 5 .

set the analog drive level from +4dB to -10dB for input to the CP750 .
output levels all set to 00dB
set the meter ballistics to ( no peak ) for fast meter response

only con is power switch is on back panel and hard to reach .
pros . i wouldn't trade it for any four XXXX . far too rare dts processor this .
pros lightweight easy install

solo monitor when once pressed mutes other channels so i can then use the soft-keys to switch through L C R Ls Rs Lbs Rbs LFE.1 via speakers or headphones

nice large dts logo

dts on this professional cad 5 , aggressive !

dtscad5 1.jpg

dtscad5 2.jpg
dtscad5 6.jpg

dtscad5 3.jpg
dtscad5 4.jpg

dtscad5 5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
some cats now . Magic and Bear attacking me for the ice - cream

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
i been thinking of way of switching the regular surrounds to being placed overhead like it once was with CIC UCI tower park .
thinking of way that is cheap ? i looked at few behringer MX882 and MX882 V2 both of which don't offer a way of doing it but they are cheap .
then i thought about the multi DB25 switcher box that i use ? i can't use the one present in the system so need 2nd one as this would be wired as follows .

the three heights 1 2 3 will be wired to the DB25 input A to output so it can still be used for Dolby Atmos encode/decode movies . surrounds will be wired so they still pass out to the Dolby SA10 . additional wiring will be piggybacked onto the Ls Rs with other wires connecting to DB25 input B .
so if i want to mimic some other cinemas surround type i need only switch the settings on DB25 multi switcher box .

309060634_10160053925515149_730525307727242963_n.jpg
309107593_10160053925585149_4311632998284451963_n.jpg

Top Bottom