• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THX cinema with pro cinema audio gear

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
occasionally the so called flagship denon avc-x8500h gets Dolby truehd 7.1 confused with and reverts to Dolby digital 5.1 . something in the hdmi handshake with maybe the oled , projector to avr gets messed up and simple switch avr off wait few seconds and switch back on resolves the issue .

i had to be pushing some acoustical THX watts yesterday and don't usually run the 4k laser projector for myself . projector lamp 90 hrs used and is few years since got it and as max lamp of i think 30k hrs ? surely not . even lamp will be cheap for it now .

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Sooty dressed up in halloween outfit
12191133_10153649619305149_5495669120799646377_o.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
top gun 2 , Dolby atmos 15.12.2/6/8 , lucasfilm ltd THX sound system

312024023_10160119580980149_89250606795491723_n.jpg

Denon AVC-X8500H
heights used on top gun 2 is mostly only height 2 middle . disappointing . rarely briefly height 1 is used for few pointless seconds of missile .
there is some bad mixing sound continuity with some random overhead at opening titles for moment on music thought it was going to be great ? oh what let down .
some aircraft taxing on the aircraft carrier on screen then overhead ? made no sense since camera wasn't in a position or for the sound being overhead , just randomly mixers throwing sound up there . also air traffic voice controller is heard but made no sense since i can tell where camera is and voice would have to come from where bridge towr is ? and i see no high pylons for that to even happen ? just random sound mixing for atmos overhead . some scenes where plane takes off on the catapult ? a few brief pointless seconds .

not even by far the best atmos movie of 2021 . just an average atmos with little to go for it .
did it have any anti-phase in the overhead ? not that i can detect on my THX system .
i can still use the side surround ( below surround ) as my below surround is x4 zones of it . i rather play " baby driver " chapter 18 again lol .

311982017_10160119580470149_411109338005459303_n.jpg

i'm not in the habit of buying new movies anymore . i rarely buy new ones now at rate of maybe 1% for whole year now .

screen channels i use the five screen wide . occasional on-screen dialog panning or some of it was fixed to screen left screen right or faintly between left centre right centre .
the flare defence on the aircraft sounded neat in five screen , sort of wowed me .
the height 2 does have a few swirling phase effect .

i do have additional option to possible make height 1 2 3 better that would be with PLIIx using all its outputs as maybe rarely there be some anti-phase and the sound would be steering around channel to channel . it means fitting lot more speakers on the ceiling . but it is only option since no AVR/AVP will even offer any of that . got to add on to get some more surround going on .

there was colour banding noise on main menu ? strange and sort of bothered me ? was there any colour banding on the feature itself ? well i recall the steam on amzon where the " SR-72 darkstar " explodes in the sky and fades to black . on the disc i sort of was looking for it as it was bad on streaming .

was the darkstar scene any good ? i be honest . it was rubbish . worthy of headless panther and the cat litter box . i rather watch , " final approach " 1991 with SR-71 that has legit bass that is uncompressed on PCM Dolby Stereo . top gun 2 sounded compressed . it didn't seem to have real dynamic range , just sounded compressed and total hyped let down . not worth renting or buying and within a month , top gun 2 will be another 4k sat on the bookcase gathering dust until i play a scene from it again ?

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
close encounters of the fur kitty kind

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
time starts at where i noticed rare anti-phase in the mix of the height 2 overhead .

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Magic: [discovering what's inside the package] California, tell your people to stay Meowwwwwwaway. Stay Meowwwwwwwwwwaway now, don't - don't come in here. Whatever you hear, stay Meowwwwwwwwwwaway! John Doe has the upper hand!
Magic: [curiously sniffs the box] What's inside the box?
46421783_10156650311725149_4155928067778281472_n.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Bear sub bass

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
new better multi coloured brighter LED lighting . with laser colour pattern .

led 2.jpg

led 4.jpg

led 7.jpg

led 8.jpg

led 9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
behringer multi channel zone installed so i can convert 70mm Dolby Stereo format 42 movies ( some that have been remixed for home with stereo surrounds and convert it back to mono ) .

multi zone stereo.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
x2 onkyo AVR with PLIIx and multi stereo mode function .

so i be expanding on the Dolby atmos or use for regular Dolby Stereo 4.2.4 or Dolby 5.1/7.1 dts and dts-es 6.1 mixes ?

present system at 15.12.2/6/8 . once installed the PLIIx to sort of upgrade over the x2 Dolby CP45 been using for matrix expansion of steering the panned/phantom sounds with newer like extra channel as served well . i think i like to expand it further now .

once finished it be around 21.12.2/6/8 . i can later expand it to 23.12.2/6/8 . i can even expand it further with few x3 more cheap onkyo avr PLIIx and additional matrix PL decoder connected to front L R as often in some discrete mixes there is additional centre phantom which would be better placed ( two ways of doing it ) mixed into an audio mixer with centre discrete and blended back into the centre channel or extra amp and speaker which i can't there no room behind the screen for full-ranger JBL cinema speakers so i have to blend it into centre .
so i can expand that to 24.12.2/6/8

i can even expand the extra surround channels on the PLIIx stereo surrounds and back stereo surrounds with additional expansion/enhancement from 24.12.2/6/8 to 24.22.2/6/8 .
sur porject x 1.jpg
sur porject x 2.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
sticky pads for cable management . Bear is curious ?
mb1.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
some more multi laser coloured lighting so makes x4 of them to be placed around the THX cinema

led 10.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
mb2.jpg
nb3.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
laser multi coloured with smoke machine

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
apollo 13 imax or liemax version ? chopped up about 20 mins plus out of the movie as liemax cinemas 70mm can't hold over certain amount film on the cake platters . end credits looked sounded dreadful with solo horn trumpet being cut of the end credits .
some scenes had a bit more dynamic bass impact on the launch scene .
aspect ratio was more like looking at super35 open frame rather than masked for scope with anamorphic stretch for 35mm cinemas during its theatrical release .
the imax version , meh . prefer the theatrical release .
apollo1.jpg
apollo2.jpg
apollo3.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
saturday night fever LP vinyl
original and played okay hardly any scratches

sat1.jpg
sat2.jpg
sat3.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
one onkyo avr fitted partly in kitchen amplifier rack . this will be for back surround project x eXpansion of the stereo back surrounds .
the other onkyo will be for side surrounds or the " original surrounds " project x eXpansion .

the Dolby CP45 i see what i can use them for later ? i not yet uninstalled them .

project x2.jpg

project x3.jpg
project x4.jpg

had to shuffle all the amps and SA10 , DCX to fit the onkyo avr in the rack barely fitted . had to remove the feet which reduced height by 1/2 " .
got to redo all the output cables on the DCX for powering the crown anmp as now the cables are too short . simple cheap three core shielded microphone cable .

project x1.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
i use real cinema seating . so how does that compare as this is ASR and its all measurable .
the fronts of the seats are fabric absorbed , hence less so reflective than most home cinema seats that are plastic or use some poor creature animal skin , shame . is going to be reflective .

i tested the backs of my cinemas seats and found them to be predictable reflective and easy to solve . also frequency response , hearing sound behind me is not problem i have exceptionally good horizontal to diagonal hearing behind me as i have trained myself . now then !

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
matt hooper take on jaws . it was a shark . you'd think the short echo sound is my room ? wrong . its the film mix of what is mixed in should only be the sound heard . my room is totally absorbed , floor carpeted , walls ceiling wedge titles so only the details are heard on the soundtrack . otherwise i be depressed hearing the room with reflections sounding like most typical home cinemas or even some few cinemas 1.5m/s i rather that be way less of under several m/s . i don't want hear high frequencies pinging off the walls and ceiling . only pings should be the speaker/s itself . its the same when listening with headphones .

Top Bottom