• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dolby Atmos which ones are okay and which ones are utterly rubbish for use of overhead sound

Andysu

Major Contributor
gravity 2013 , Dolby Atmos , lucasfilm ltd THX sound system , is still the benchmark Atmos for demo

395776380_10160930689665149_4065666326626350677_n (1).jpg

sort of almost directional , dialog , dialog panning , rather than boring dialog always in the centre channel , i can't think anywhere in real world where voice conversation is heard like that ?
for 91 mins it has a very active overhead discrete sound of dialog voice /radio communications sound effects and individual music elements extracted decoded away from the basic primary bed sleeping channels , while dreaming about objects overhead

gravity here in my THX cinema simply the best sound surround sound around , with three overhead channels per height top front 1 2 3 , thou i may change that if i can get the other height channels with extra JBL 8330A mounted on the ceiling for total of 15 with 5 additional extra effects below surround channels or total of 20 , plus additional below surround matrix channels so that any sound steering or vector or polarity mixing of + and ( - negative ) some of which i have detected on some Atmos overhead surround , takes extra decoder mattered connected to each overhead to see what else maybe hidden ? i did a sound mixing course at college decades ago so i have basic understanding what channels are laid onto a mix how many tracks and how they generally manipulated into a fabricated sound mix

gravity on first seeing the trailer , no years ago , i knew the movie would win oscar best sound , before it was released and before it was considered for nomination , the dialog panning told me , its uncommon for live action movie to no day , to use that amount of dialog panning

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
nobody , Dolby Atmos , utter rubbish

271112022_10159605815750149_7637845486061044807_n.jpg

maybe just less than few minutes use of overhead sound , waste of time , never i will play the disc again and some of the overhead sound poorly mixed sounded amateur , headless panther and the cat litter tray

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
mad max fury road , Dolby Atmos , lucasfilm ltd THX sound system

404934084_10160985669815149_4109447710859618746_n.jpg

a bit of sound balance mess as displayed on stormaudio isp32 elite mk3 , vu meter display , common LCR levels way too high and other channels are too low
easy , i just lower the LCR levels or with use with five screen wide , ( no has nothing do with front wide ) lower the five screen down then case of sound rehearsal of balancing the channel levels , while listening at , music , effects or any voice or dialog pans and it can take whole movie to do the balance , otherwise most home cinemas have some serious audio frequency masking effect going on they are not even aware of ?

besides being a bit toppy and that's another topic , easy to solve

otherwise not okay Dolby Atmos movie , chapter 6 is thee most played at around almost 8 or so hrs over and over of listening i kidd you not

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
gravity 2013 , Dolby Atmos , lucasfilm ltd THX sound system , is still the benchmark Atmos for demo

View attachment 329490

sort of almost directional , dialog , dialog panning , rather than boring dialog always in the centre channel , i can't think anywhere in real world where voice conversation is heard like that ?
for 91 mins it has a very active overhead discrete sound of dialog voice /radio communications sound effects and individual music elements extracted decoded away from the basic primary bed sleeping channels , while dreaming about objects overhead

gravity here in my THX cinema simply the best sound surround sound around , with three overhead channels per height top front 1 2 3 , thou i may change that if i can get the other height channels with extra JBL 8330A mounted on the ceiling for total of 15 with 5 additional extra effects below surround channels or total of 20 , plus additional below surround matrix channels so that any sound steering or vector or polarity mixing of + and ( - negative ) some of which i have detected on some Atmos overhead surround , takes extra decoder mattered connected to each overhead to see what else maybe hidden ? i did a sound mixing course at college decades ago so i have basic understanding what channels are laid onto a mix how many tracks and how they generally manipulated into a fabricated sound mix

gravity on first seeing the trailer , no years ago , i knew the movie would win oscar best sound , before it was released and before it was considered for nomination , the dialog panning told me , its uncommon for live action movie to no day , to use that amount of dialog panning
I don't have anything approaching your surround set up at all, in fact I don't even have a surround setup, but I was very impressed with the audio quality of this movie when I watched it in Stereo at home on my JBL speakers (ideal equilateral triangle listening position). Some movies just have great sound, and this was one of them, even in Stereo for me. Not sure if that has any relevance to your thread, but wanted to say it. (Perhaps a willingness of the movie makers to make great sound a priority for a certain movie means it translates to all the different audio formats that it's produced in maybe?). In my mind good audio was crucial for this film because the environment was so 3D out there in the disaster of their space mission as there was so much spinning & rotation involved in the frenetic disaster scenes when the debris field kept coming around (it's a very 3D environment) - it really helped create that sense of confusion and frenetic craziness & sense of disorientation. Just a very impactful film visually & from auditory perspective.

Last edited:
Top Bottom