• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This is how you make bagels...

Presently42

I recently made Finnish water rings: they were really tasty - but still not a St. Viateur bagel!
All this talk of bagels forced my hand: I made the Finnish ones again. Terrible quality picture - and I'm not a great breadmaker - but they're very tasty indeed!

Attachments

• bagels.jpeg
    bagels.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 43

Presently42

Finnish? What are Finnish bagels?
No idea: the recipe is from a Scandinavian baking book by Beatrice Ojakangas. The recipe is entitled Karelian Water Rings:

"These water-raised rolls resemble bagels. I remember women of my grandmother's era talking about water rolls, but for some reason it wasn't until we were entertained by a Karelian family that I was reminded of them. We enjoyed them every morning for breakfast, freshly baked and split, with butter and jam."

2 packages active dry yeast 1 L< cups warm water, 105°F to 115°F 1 teaspoon salt 4 tablespoons melted butter 3 to 3\ cups bread or unbleached all-purpose flour FOR RAISING boiling water 2 tablespoons salt 1 teaspoon baking soda In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add the salt, butter, and half the flour, beating until smooth. Blend in flour until dough is stiff. Let rest 15 minutes, covered. Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead until smooth and satiny, 5 to 10 minutes. Clean the bowl, lightly oil it, and add dough to the bowl. Turn over dough to oil the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about i hour. (Dough may also rise in a cool kitchen overnight.) Turn dough onto an oiled board. Divide into 16 parts. Shape each part into a strand 6 to 8 inches long. Turn into a ring and pinch ends together. Place on a sheet of lightly oiled waxed paper and let rise 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°?. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray with nonstick spray. Or, grease and flour a baking sheet. Bring a wide pan (I use a 14-inch deep-frying pan) half-full of water to a boil; add the salt and soda. Lower the rings one at a time into the water and cook 30 seconds. Remove from water with pancake turner and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 15 to 2.0 minutes until golden.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Found them on a Scandinavian Wiki site .... the humble Bagel travelled from Poland into scandinavia too - and developed into a scandinavian variation on the theme!

Cool!

Utopia's frozen bagels are unbelievable. They sustained my bagel-obsessed relatives through much of the pandemic.

Not the same as Ess-a-Bagel but still very good.

Did I mention I haven't had a pastrami sandwich in over two years?
Well, I’m a big fan of Ess-a bagels having eaten them in NYC and through Goldbelly delivery. I often order a dozen around valentines as a treat for the family. I was really intrigued by the video, and the passion of the folks at Utopia. So this year I tried those bagels through Goldbelly. Yes, I know the price is crazy, but it’s convenient and cheaper than visiting in person. Long story short, while I like the Utopia bagels, Ess-a bagels are still my favorite. They have a chewy quality that’s hard to describe.

Top Bottom