• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This is how you make bagels...

BostonJack

Editor
My son, James, and his wife, Lindsey, are low key foodies.. lots of cooking exploration. We had a bagel/lox simple omelet brunch. Their homemade everything bagels were *amazing*, straight out of the oven. I brought French champagne ( 'natch).

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
1642629701477.png

This is the proper use for a bagel, not that cured fish stuff.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Utopia's frozen bagels are unbelievable. They sustained my bagel-obsessed relatives through much of the pandemic.

Not the same as Ess-a-Bagel but still very good.

Did I mention I haven't had a pastrami sandwich in over two years?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The reason for watching this video was that I was researching recipes to make our own, just when the house flooded. I can't wait to find the time to make them. My wife had bought all the toppings and we were ready to go....

rgpit

Forum Donor
The reason for watching this video was that I was researching recipes to make our own, just when the house flooded. I can't wait to find the time to make them. My wife had bought all the toppings and we were ready to go....
That's why they're known as water bagels.

audio2design

Major Contributor

If you want to try something fun, look up Paul Hollywood's Rainbow Bagels on the Great British Backing show.

On a different note, I tried bagels today using the stand mixer and bread hook. It was very fast, but the dough came out much "softer". The crust was super chewy, but the inside was more bread like.

Last edited:

Raindog123

Major Contributor

I am sure it will bounce back to ‘normalcy‘ soon, and you guys will make perfect bagels! Well, maybe after a couple of less-than-perfect tries… :)

Last edited:

Presently42

Ladies and gentlemen, I have sad news: none of you have ever had a real bagel - unless you've had a Montreal bagel. They are faintly sweet, dense and chewy. Toppings can include cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion and capers (a Montreal classic - and deservedly so!); or just cream cheese (for the people in the cheaper seats); or even butter (I love toasted buttered bagels with scrambled eggs). But nothing compares from a St Viateur bagel, fresh out of the oven, still warm - truly, one of life's great pleasures.

I recently made Finnish water rings: they were really tasty - but still not a St. Viateur bagel!

pocoloco

You can buy Utopia bagels through Goldbelly. It's pricey, but not horrible if you really want it.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Our local (Melbourne) Bagel culture is dominated by "New York Style" bagels (which is a bit silly, as New York style, is Polish style - came to both cities with Polish Jewish migrants)

But I think the Montreal bagels may be superior.... and we have those locally too (see Miles End Bagels in the above) - although probably less authentic to their east european street food roots....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
On a different note, I tried bagels today using the stand mixer and bread hook. It was very fast, but the dough came out much "softer". The crust was super chewy, but the inside was more bread like.
I actually like that kind of inside. Regular bagel is nice when hot but then gets too dense and tough for my taste.

Presently42

see Miles End Bagels in the above
How interesting! Mile End is the neighbourhood in which the bagel place I mentioned is located - obviously the owner is either a Montrealer; or else simply wanted to name his place after the best in the west. A little bit of Montreal in far off Australia - fabulous!

Presently42

I actually like that kind of inside. Regular bagel is nice when hot but then gets too dense and tough for my taste.
Bagels don't keep at all - even a few hours renders them too tough. The only way to deal with them, is to either eat them immediately - or else freeze them; preferably cut

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Bagels don't keep at all - even a few hours renders them too tough. The only way to deal with them, is to either eat them immediately - or else freeze them; preferably cut
Yeh I freeze them.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Me too... the rest of the family are mad keen fans of the heavy chewy boiled bagel.... I prefer a lighter consistency!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Heavy and chewy are what a bagel is. When you make the innards light and fluffy, it's suitable for sale to the masses. Sort of like the way Domino's will make a Neapolitan cry.

Top Bottom