• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

Musty

Forum Donor
Something that just came to me. I have vague recollection of one of the HiFi magazines running some articles about room acoustics in the 90s. As I recall, one of their recommendations was, if there was a pile of magazines in the room, to put a sheet of paper into the pile so there was an odd number of pages. Followed by some letters saying how well that worked.
Am I mad or does anyone else remember that?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Something that just came to me. I have vague recollection of one of the HiFi magazines running some articles about room acoustics in the 90s. As I recall, one of their recommendations was, if there was a pile of magazines in the room, to put a sheet of paper into the pile so there was an odd number of pages. Followed by some letters saying how well that worked.
Being odd is always important. :p

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
https://www.stereophile.com/reference/31/index.html
There was also another by Shannon Dickson but I cannot find any link to it.

MarkS

Major Contributor
I'm confused. You've cited a great article by Tom Norton on his experience in building a dedicated listening room from the ground up. I well remember reading it when it first came out 25 years ago.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I'm confused. You've cited a great article by Tom Norton on his experience in building a dedicated listening room from the ground up. I well remember reading it when it first came out 25 years ago.
I did but its a long time since I read it and thought it might be relevant. Shannon Dickson's article was directly relevant but, after spending fruitless efforts to find it, the only thing I found was an old post of mine complaining that Shannon's article could not be found. Sorry.

Chitami

About my glasses, I just have a new glasses. Do lens curvature of the glasses change after 15 days I used? My thought of an engineer said to myself properly No way except some scrratch.. Only my eyes have become adapted to the glaases so I don't feel theheadache anymore.
What my hypothesis is that your ear may experience the sound and get used to it. Like how I first hear my wife voice (sound really attractive). Now after many many years, it getting dull and more dull man. Thing do get dull or her voice became dull or my ear problem? Anyway, I always listen to my FAVORITE music so I think maybe the favorite music add my compassion to the speaker/amp/dac, not sure and not really see if burn-in exist since there are many factor can contribute to this change/ improvement. I wonder if anyone experience bad result after the period end. One thing for 100% sure is that your nerve do repair/ maintaining at very slow rate and constantly and great what is it tendency? Probably the maintenance process try their best to make you adapt to new environment as possible (make you feel dull like the way I feel my wife, but I do love her existence in my life), taste >hearing >vision can adapt quicker but pain like phantom pain it may take for very very long time to go away.

Last edited:

BostonJack

Editor
About my glasses, I just have a new glasses. Do lens curvature of the glasses change after 15 days I used? My thought of an engineer said to myself properly No way except some scrratch.. Only my eyes have become adapted to the glaases so I don't feel theheadache anymore.
What my hypothesis is that your ear may experience the sound and get used to it. Like how I first hear my wife voice (sound really attractive). Now after many many years, it getting dull and more dull man. Thing do get dull or her voice became dull or my ear problem? Anyway, I always listen to my FAVORITE music so I think maybe the favorite music add my compassion to the speaker/amp/dac, not sure and not really see if burn-in exist since there are many factor can contribute to this change/ improvement. I wonder if anyone experience bad result after the period end. One thing for 100% sure is that your nerve do repair/ maintaining at very slow rate and constantly and great what is it tendency? Probably the maintenance process try their best to make you adapt to new environment as possible (make you feel dull like the way I feel my wife, but I do love her existence in my life), taste >hearing >vision can adapt quicker but pain like phantom pain it may take for very very long time to go away.
interesting! the headache after new glasses thing is real (for me, at least). I've had LASIK, so it no longer is. I had an optometrist tell me that your visual system will actually accommodate two or more "programs" and switch based upon which pair of glasses you put on. Both will appear "normal". I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing happens listening to music. your brain is selected to listen/hear/feel what is important to survival and prosperity... maybe that's why pain is so persistent.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor

My take away is that you are sick and tired of your wife's voice? You said that on the internet? I hope she never sees it or you will hear her voice a lot more!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
why would you bother when you already know the results?
There are still thousands of people fully convinced they can hear (clear) differences.
They don't want to know the sobering truth.
I did bother because I wanted to know for certain.

There is nothing as sobering as hearing things like this yourself.
It is not about proving things to others but proving things to yourself.

atsmusic

There are still thousands of people fully convinced they can hear (clear) differences.
They don't want to know the sobering truth.
I did bother because I wanted to know for certain.

There is nothing as sobering as hearing things like this yourself.
It is not about proving things to others but proving things to yourself.

It for sure saves a lot of money knowing the truth about cables. I am glad for those who know and can put the money toward things that really matter.

3dbinCanada

It for sure saves a lot of money knowing the truth about cables. I am glad for those who know and can put the money toward things that really matter.
Like cable lifters and pet rocks. :p. Seriously, I wish the industry would become regulated to reduce or eliminate fraudulent activities by the cable manufacturers.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Like cable lifters and pet rocks.
Please don't pick on my pet rock, it lifts a thousand veils. LOL
pet rock concert.JPG

Dmelv

FWIW, I am pretty sure Class G was (initially) mostly a Hitachi thing, and Class H was Soundcraftsmen's.
Not sayin' there might not have been Class H Hitachi hardware... but I am skeptical;)

HitachiSR2004 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

View attachment 45304

source: https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-High-Fidelity/70s/High-Fidelity-1977-09.pdf (page 77 of the magazine)

View attachment 45305
source: https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Audio/80s/Audio-1986-Equipment-Directory.pdf (multipage ad section)

View attachment 45301
source: https://www.dynacord.com/technology.php?id=24
This depicts Class G. Note the rail devices are operating in an open-loop condition and do not follow the waveshape at all. (rectangular)

Davide

Noob question. Is there a DC power cable configuration with good interference immunity?
Coax perhaps?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
For single-ended DC, a simple shielded cable will work- by default, it will likely be coaxial.

Davide

For single-ended DC, a simple shielded cable will work- by default, it will likely be coaxial.
Does a shield provide good immunity even at 50/60Hz?

Davide

The audio cable business is also a victim of its own success. As more and more people become interested in high-end audio, there are more and more companies vying for their business. This has led to a proliferation of cables, many of which are overpriced and offer no real improvement in sound quality.

If you're looking for a new audio cable, it's important to do your research and find one that is well-made and has good reviews. There is no need to spend a fortune on a cable, but you should also avoid buying the cheapest option available.

Here are a few tips for choosing an audio cable:
  • Consider the type of cable you need. There are many different types of audio cables available, so it's important to choose one that is compatible with your equipment.
  • Read reviews. Before you buy a cable, read reviews from other users to see what they think of the sound quality and build quality.
  • Don't be afraid to ask for help. If you're not sure which cable is right for you, ask a salesperson for help.
Is this a new feature of this forum?ChatGPT automatic answer?
:D

Top Bottom