• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Yamaha R-N803 seems to be just a total winner - What am I missing...?

mr-audio

Just a couple closing comments on this for me:
- overall I would still rate the Yamaha N803 as a pretty good piece of gear given the price. When it came out in 2017, it was pretty impressive to have it’s the level of power and all the streaming services. I’ve been pretty please with it all though I use other gear as well that cost quite a bit more.
- I do think it’s very poor of Yamaha not to explain the level of resolution of their streaming services. Things like TIDAL and Deezer, etc. can stream high-quality (e.g. FLAC level). To limit the radio, purposely to only MP3 or AAC seems misleading. I realize it’s buyer beware and some services like Spotify don’t stream at the higher resolution, but I would have thought it’s fairly expected that your Internet radio will stream at the level available.
– it’s also a bit disappointing that they haven’t updated some of the capabilities with the new MusicCast releases.

All in all I guess I would have to say that for 750 bucks which is what I paid for the original receiver. It’s still a pretty decent piece of gear for its time as long as you want pretty basic, or very specific capabilities.

However, as I’ve become more and more interested in Internet radio, listening (@high-quality) I’ll probably be selling this piece of gear and moving on to other things.

Honestly, I already am… I have a new NAD piece of gear on order that will be replacing this one for my room downstairs.

Mike

worm0

I don't get why are you looking for something you would have missed. That's a great offering for its price. The end.;)

Most probably the best option for some traditional AB integrated amp/streamer under 1k€/$. It is beaten by separates, like some good DAC feeding a NC252MP if you ask me , but you will lack thing as a whole package.

If you want one, you have to hurry tho, it seems like it has been discontinued recently.

That list is certainly not the way to choose an amp.;)

Good for you. BTW, the 6000A also measures very good, but the 803 is literally 2.5 times as powerful. Should be taken in consideration for someone looking for an amp...
Do you have a link to 6000A'a measurements?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have a link to 6000A'a measurements?
The same that you may find simply by using Google...;)

worm0

The same that you may find simply by using Google...;)
Thanks for the quick reply :). The thing is, I recently started learning about these kind of measurements and I'm not sure how do you calculate the SINAD value, that you folks here appreciate, at 5 watt / 4 ohm load. I suppose you would look at the dynamic power output graph on that link? Sorry for a stupid question, this should be my homework :)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@worm0
THD+N%=SINAD in dB.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and I'm not sure how do you calculate the SINAD value, that you folks here appreciate, at 5 watt / 4 ohm load.
The graph indicates about 0.0015% (-96dB) Distortion (which is not THD+N) at 5W/4Ohms, which is more than good enough. SNR seems also good, considering the (usually noisy) HFN bench. Power is a bit on the short side, tho.

I wouldn't bother only about SINAD. This is far from the only data that matters when choosing an amp.

worm0

Thank you both very much! I recently bought 6000a for 500 euro and was wondering if I have made a wrong decision. Sorry for hijacking the thread. Kind regards to both of you :).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On this note, it seems that not only are the knobs plastic. The entire face plate is plastic.

But its coated in a thin layer of aluminium, like a foil pressing.

This is disappointing. Does anyone know of amps with proper aluminium or steel face plates, other than the Luxmans?

I take it the plastic is cheaper, but I wonder if it's to remove conductivity too... At any rate if Yamaha upgraded the fascia to proper metal it would be such a winner.
The explanation is simple, if uncomfortable. The market is very competitive. If they spent money there, something else (that a normal AVR user cared about) would have to suffer.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i do understand the thinking that construction should be better... for $700 usd I expect better but kind of realise it has no bearing on end sound quality and further i expect advanced companies to cut costs wherever possible?

i think these machines are also disposable

like if it finishes out warranty and works for 5yrs then its done its job

they aint heirlooms to be passed down... likely they will be thrown out as e-waste

and so in the end final construction quality isnt that big a deal

i mean we have companies like Marantz who will happily charge $3,000+ for a unit made in vietnam that's entirely plastic faced and would likely tank any test this place would administer...

i also think people should consider what really is deliverable for $700? Maybe this is the way it is now.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@TonyJZX well you can always pay cuple K for aluminium if that's your hearts desire. And you are wrong Yamaha has long established reputation regarding quality of used component (from caps to power stage and transforms) and this are actually quite old power amplifier stages that ware ironed out and multiple times verified regarding both design and longevity. This is not the way its now, this is the way it whose in past and this is bargenin price for what you get. Loop it with MiniDSP Flex and you have a big winner.

jirkas

On this note, it seems that not only are the knobs plastic. The entire face plate is plastic.

But its coated in a thin layer of aluminium, like a foil pressing.

This is disappointing. Does anyone know of amps with proper aluminium or steel face plates, other than the Luxmans?

I take it the plastic is cheaper, but I wonder if it's to remove conductivity too... At any rate if Yamaha upgraded the fascia to proper metal it would be such a winner.
No, the entire front panel is all metal, aluminum, no thin layer as you wrongly stated.

mr-audio

Just a couple closing comments on this for me:
- overall I would still rate the Yamaha N803 as a pretty good piece of gear given the price. When it came out in 2017, it was pretty impressive to have it’s the level of power and all the streaming services. I’ve been pretty please with it all though I use other gear as well that cost quite a bit more.
- I do think it’s very poor of Yamaha not to explain the level of resolution of their streaming services. Things like TIDAL and Deezer, etc. can stream high-quality (e.g. FLAC level). To limit the radio, purposely to only MP3 or AAC seems misleading. I realize it’s buyer beware and some services like Spotify don’t stream at the higher resolution, but I would have thought it’s fairly expected that your Internet radio will stream at the level available.
– it’s also a bit disappointing that they haven’t updated some of the capabilities with the new MusicCast releases.

All in all I guess I would have to say that for 750 bucks which is what I paid for the original receiver. It’s still a pretty decent piece of gear for its time as long as you want pretty basic, or very specific capabilities.

However, as I’ve become more and more interested in Internet radio, listening (@high-quality) I’ll probably be selling this piece of gear and moving on to other things.

Honestly, I already am… I have a new NAD piece of gear on order that will be replacing this one for my room downstairs.

Mike
Just an update… I stored this receiver for a few months, and recently started using it again. After about a month of usage it just won’t power on anymore. Probably not worth paying to have a place repair it. Disappointing experience.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Just an update… I stored this receiver for a few months, and recently started using it again. After about a month of usage it just won’t power on anymore. Probably not worth paying to have a place repair it. Disappointing experience.
Describe detail what is happening! Is power led blinking, does it come on at all?

mr-audio

Describe detail what is happening! Is power led blinking, does it come on at all?
The led that indicated power comes on when after u plug it in and press the power switch (that LED also indicates when it’s in standby mode, such as when you powered off through the app.)

But the display screen does not light up at all, no sound from any source. I did some Internet searching, but didn’t find any good clues. Of course the manual doesn’t say much either there isn’t even like a hard reset option that I could find.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Question is does it blink?
If it does and then go to standby the protection circuit is activated. Unfortunately I don't know key combo for R-N803 it's not one for R-N603 or R-N402D. Try to search for it it's a two key holding + power key press combo. Then it goes to self diagnostic and display something like this if everything is OK.
Of course you need to find out why protection circuit activated 3x in the row and make sure to remove the cause.

jirkas

mr-audio

Question is does it blink?
If it does and then go to standby the protection circuit is activated. Unfortunately I don't know key combo for R-N803 it's not one for R-N603 or R-N402D. Try to search for it it's a two key holding + power key press combo. Then it goes to self diagnostic and display something like this if everything is OK.
Of course you need to find out why protection circuit activated 3x in the row and make sure to remove the cause.
Here’s another update. I contacted Yamaha support in the first level representative just simply said he did not know what the key sequence was and then I should take it to an authorized repair shop to be addressed. And there and then I should take it to a authorized repair shop to be addressed.

I replied, and asked him to escalate this to a higher level of service representative and provide me the answer of the key sequence, so I could see if that would resolve the issue before I took it to the service center. (Which I will not because after some of the issues I’ve had with this receiver, I would not spend any more money on it.)

mr-audio

Final update on my R-N803. I did get the service manual and tried the procedure to reset from a protection mode state. No dice. I don’t plan to pay to have it fixed nor try myself. It’s a boat anchor now unless someone here wants to take on the job. I’ll give it away for free (you pay shipping). I live around Detroit Michigan so if someone is close enough to pick it up personally that’s even better.

Just to recap: I bought this new from Crutchfield 6/2018. Used lightly to drive some Klipsch Forte IIIs. Ran perfectly well until I left it plugged in this spring, but turned off for a few days. Went to turn it on and no display or sound. I’ve never been able to figure out what happened. But it’s certainly not from overuse. Physically it’s in mint condition as is the remote.

Top Bottom