• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The wait is over: Genelec 8381A point source main monitor has arrived

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder if it's noticable that the tweeter/midrange is so much higher than on regular hifi speakers.

It makes sense to have them higher up for people who sit in an office chair and do actual work on them but for home listening in a lounge chair or on a sofa they will always point down at you.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He's an immersive sound mixer that does shows with "Joe N Tell" and with Erin ...he's known as Channa D. The demo I saw was from the NAMM show.
Haha yeah I’ve seen techno dad before. I didn’t know his real name.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if it's noticable that the tweeter/midrange is so much higher than on regular hifi speakers.

It makes sense to have them higher up for people who sit in an office chair and do actual work on them but for home listening in a lounge chair or on a sofa they will always point down at you.
Same “problem” on the w371. They just tell you point them down. It reminds me of optics and virtual image stuff from high school physics. Anyone with glasses to correct myopia basically sees a virtual image all day.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Same “problem” on the w371. They just tell you point them down. It reminds me of optics and virtual image stuff from high school physics. Anyone with glasses to correct myopia basically sees a virtual image all day.
Does the soundstage appear higher up compared to tweeter/midrange speakers on ear level?

This could be a deal breaker for people who intend to use speakers like those in the living room.
On this living room pic from Genelec's website they indeed have a pretty large angle downwards:

Yanacek_Photo4_PR_2500px.png

Sokel

Master Contributor
Does the soundstage appear higher up compared to tweeter/midrange speakers on ear level?

This could be a deal breaker for people who intend to use speakers like those in the living room.
On this living room pic from Genelec's website they indeed have a pretty large angle downwards:

Angled down tall speakers also present different structure of reflections when listening at 3-4 meters.
Maybe that's one of the things that makes them sound larger.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That’s the thing. It works like a virtual image. So if you have myopia for example the lens are putting everything you see to within inches of your face. But you don’t see it that way.

So similarly the virtual Auditory image of these is at ear height.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Angled down tall speakers also present different structure of reflections when listening at 3-4 meters.
Maybe that's one of the things that makes them sound larger.
I didn’t really consider that.

Funny thing is i’m much closer than that. But I can see how perhaps ceiling treatment is less important in that situation.

What I think does hurt is if you have any side tables besides you. That could have a deleterious effect.

Also Genelec support will tell you that you can place them on stands besides the w371 and calibrate like that if you wish but keep them as close as possible.

Edit: That room looks scary with all those windows and how they are on the corners. But they really can project a clean central image being that far apart.

MAB

Major Contributor

I have Ones, 2 or 3 inches higher than ear level, not angled down as much as this picture.
In general, I like the sound of them off-axis. Higher is one way to get off-axis. I have carpet over concrete floor but fairly diffuse ceiling reflections and long time-constant sidewall reflections, so this may be a good tradeoff.
It does look odd at first blush, but the speakers look like a sad one-eyed robot, so I just close my eyes!;)

Sokel

Master Contributor
I didn’t really consider that.

Funny thing is i’m much closer than that. But I can see how perhaps ceiling treatment is less important in that situation.

What I think does hurt is if you have any side tables besides you. That could have a deleterious effect.

Also Genelec support will tell you that you can place them on stands besides the w371 and calibrate like that if you wish but keep them as close as possible.

Edit: That room looks scary with all those windows and how they are on the corners. But they really can project a clean central image being that far apart.
Proper angling and listening height is hitting the absolute most critical area for me.

Look what happens in my set up by changing the angle/height (not Genelecs )

1707512957921.png

Hit's right at the 4-7Khz,the area can make me happy or sick (literally,I get a round headache with this area pronounced).
So this must be addressed carefully.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

People pay a lot of of money for that type of soundstage ;)
wilson-audio-chronosonic-xvx-14-scaled (2).jpg

prerich

Top Bottom