• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power strip ground vs amp ground

Abekat

Hey, quick question - im trying to fix what I believe is a ground loop.
If my power strip is grounded, can I use two pin power cables to secure my system (and myself), or isnt it properly grounded then?

Thanks in advance

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
no - two pin connectors will not connect your amp to ground in the power strip.

EDIT - if you describe you complete system, what is connected to what, how, and which of them are grounded, we may be able to give some pointers.

OP
Abekat

Abekat

Thanks for the quick answer!
The power strip got:
- Power amp (with grounded cable)
- Pre amp (with grounded cable)
- TT (without, but grounded via pre)
- DAC (without)
- CD player (connected with coax)
- Tv (connected to audio with toslink)
- Internet switch
All audio is hooked up via rca.
I also got a pc, usb connected to dac, but from another outlet.

I've tried disconnection every source, but without luck. Still noise. If I only connect power amp and speakers the noise (almost) goes away.
The noise increase with volume. In my listening position I cant really hear it, only when I get close to the speakers. Also when using the TT the noise is louder.
I hear both hum and hiss.

I hope thats enough info. I cant seem to find the problem.. Aaarrggh

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the quick answer!
The power strip got:
- Power amp (with grounded cable)
- Pre amp (with grounded cable)
- TT (without, but grounded via pre)
- DAC (without)
- CD player (connected with coax)
- Tv (connected to audio with toslink)
- Internet switch
All audio is hooked up via rca.
I also got a pc, usb connected to dac, but from another outlet.

I've tried disconnection every source, but without luck. Still noise. If I only connect power amp and speakers the noise (almost) goes away.
The noise increase with volume. In my listening position I cant really hear it, only when I get close to the speakers. Also when using the TT the noise is louder.
I hear both hum and hiss.

I hope thats enough info. I cant seem to find the problem.. Aaarrggh
So if I understand correctly, just preamp connected to the power amp results in noise?

What happens if you short out the selected input to the preamp? (Center pin connected to outer ring on both input RCAs?).
What happens if you put the two mains cables (Power and pre) close together.
What happens if you put the pre close to the power and connect the pre/power RCA Grounds together with a thick wire.
What about separating the pre and power as far as possible, and making sure no connections (power, RCA) are running close or past the Power transformer.

ETC.

Basically you need to set up the simplest system that exhibits noise, and then experiment to find the source of the noise.

OP
Abekat

Abekat

Yes, when the pre amp comes into play, the noise is introduced. But thanks - I'll play around with the cables and see if anything changes :)

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
no - two pin connectors will not connect your amp to ground in the power strip.

EDIT - if you describe you complete system, what is connected to what, how, and which of them are grounded, we may be able to give some pointers.
If a device has an earth wire in its mains cable, you must connect it to mains earth for safety, even if that introduces noise. Don't use two pin plugs on devices with an earth connector "lifted". Only type 2 kit which is double insulated can operate without a mains earth lead.

OP
Abekat

Abekat

If a device has an earth wire in its mains cable, you must connect it to mains earth for safety, even if that introduces noise. Don't use two pin plugs on devices with an earth connector "lifted". Only type 2 kit which is double insulated can operate without a mains earth lead.
I see! Thanks. I bought my amp(s) used so I dont really know for sure. But the main cable that I got with the power amp had ground.

So if I understand correctly, just preamp connected to the power amp results in noise?

What happens if you short out the selected input to the preamp? (Center pin connected to outer ring on both input RCAs?).
What happens if you put the two mains cables (Power and pre) close together.
What happens if you put the pre close to the power and connect the pre/power RCA Grounds together with a thick wire.
What about separating the pre and power as far as possible, and making sure no connections (power, RCA) are running close or past the Power transformer.

ETC.

Basically you need to set up the simplest system that exhibits noise, and then experiment to find the source of the noise.
And to do a quick follow up. I didnt really do much yet, but most of my amps are placed on a, what I believe is called a, dresser, in english, so all the cabling is behind that and out of sight. I did read that too many cables crossing each other can introduce noise. Maybe thats whats going on (as you propose). The thing is, its pretty hard to do differently if it has to look 'clean'. But yeah, I'll check it out. Thanks again.

Top Bottom