• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The quintessential 90s pop song?

August West

I really appreciate your reply. But, here is a long story cut as short as I can. I started taping and collecting live shows in 1971. And never stopped. What I'm about to list is absolute truth: 1600 7" reels 100 10" reels 3000 cassettes 600 beta hifi and pcm tracks 600 8mm tapes with pcm tracks 1200 dat tapes. 80% of this is Grateful Dead. Since I've never taken the time to listen to and enjoy my hard work, I am now making the time. I'm old and I want to hear some of my work. There is no need to hear anything new at this point in my life. And during my heyday, there was no time to listen to anything but the music I was working on.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But what about Under the Bridge by the Red Hot Chili Peppers for 90's pop hit? Smells Like Teen Spirit has a melancholy despair that has no escape, it just keeps cutting all connections with everyone as Kurt calls himself contagious and tells us to never mind. I guess I did not feel that depressed in the 90's and I listened to other stuff more.

The Peppers might get to stand on the podium with Nirvana... for sure... but... not the top step. Nirvana was rock's last hurah, as rap sat down and man-spread to own the next three decades.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
The Peppers might get to stand on the podium with Nirvana... for sure... but... not the top step. Nirvana was rock's last hurah, as rap sat down and man-spread to own the next three decades.
Please remember that Californication was also a nineties album. Whatever you think of it musically, it was a global success and represents something that Nirvana didn’t manage to do - rise from their own ashes. For the second time in fact, as with BSSM the Peppers had already totally reinvented themselves after the loss of two band members.

Let’s not forget that this was John Frusciante between BSSM and Californication, not long before hitting rock (no pun) bottom.

This may not be a popular view but I personally put the Peppers above Nirvana on the nineties podium because of what they pulled off at the end of it, after all they had gone through, and when the world had basically moved on to the Spice Girls. :)

Last edited:

Frank2

Some sound better than the original:
well... all of them actually..

Last edited:
Top Bottom