• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The quintessential 90s pop song?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Hard to top Pizzicato via Futurama but I'll try ... That Dog's iconic He's Kissing Christian

Per one of the better comments: super '90s, right down to the quiet-loud-quiet-loud, fuzz bass and two-tone hair ... also, a great coming out song. From their precisely mid-90s album Totally Crushed Out (I wasn't exactly there, but discovered them via their post-hiatus 2019 release Old LP). Fyi the women are Lenny Waronka's daughter (and Joey's brother) Anna, and Charlie Haden's daughters Petra and Rachel (who plays bass, of course).

... too late to edit, but I meant to say Joey Waronker—aka Beck—is Anna's brother (she's not his brother, obviously :-(

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Of course, there is never a quintessential tune for a decade, which is why people post a multiple songs. There might be individual songs that "take people back" to that time in their life, though...

My memory of the '90s is that I bought Pretty Hate Machine (don't be picky that the release date was late '89), then could find nothing new else worth listening to for the next couple of years, so played that CD a lot. This is a connected pair to open the album—an awesome segue between anger and frustration:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh.
So, perhaps not quintessential, but a pretty darned good '90s tune in that oh-so-cool yet hippy-dippy ambient mode of (e.g.,) Enya, but from a woman (a cellist, as it happens!) who actually has some flesh and blood kinda stuff goin' on.
Caroline LaVelle.

Got some LF stuff goin' on, to -- which may or may not be so apparent from the YT audio.

jsilvela

I had been looking for years for a song I heard in a club in the late 90's. I was hoping it would appear in this thread...
But I got there first. So happy I found it!

Sash! - Stay

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
so -- I was gonna stick with the '80s thread, 'til I saw this post there:

"Recorded in 1990".
Well -- in that case, I'll just drop my own personal favorite Sinéad O'Connor tune over here in this thread! :)

I also quite like this cover she did for Two Rooms.

But...
in full disclosure.
She ain't my favorite Sinéad.
This is my favorite Sinéad -- and very much of the '90s:

8befe8_d236f4b0857545e1bd0f12ab89532a52.jpg

... with more 90s esoterica.
:cool:
This other Sinead is nice but hardly iconic and representative of the 1990s.

cybernaut667

My favorite decade of them all, by far

This thread proves how much did happen in music through the 90's.
From Massive Attack to Prodigy and Nirvana.
And still no mention of
tool, kyuss, monster magnet ..

The birth of black metal, trip hop, stoner rock, hip hop, rap metal like body count and RATM.. anything goes.. Moby and Cardigans and the whole of Manchester / brit pop masterpieces..

Oh, right.. Pop ..

Top Bottom