• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The quintessential 90s pop song?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Hard to top Pizzicato via Futurama but I'll try ... That Dog's iconic He's Kissing Christian

Per one of the better comments: super '90s, right down to the quiet-loud-quiet-loud, fuzz bass and two-tone hair ... also, a great coming out song. From their precisely mid-90s album Totally Crushed Out (I wasn't exactly there, but discovered them via their post-hiatus 2019 release Old LP). Fyi the women are Lenny Waronka's daughter (and Joey's brother) Anna, and Charlie Haden's daughters Petra and Rachel (who plays bass, of course).

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Ahh so many good things included here that I discovered later, but during the 90s that's what I actually remember listening to: my big sister's Aqua CDs (Barbie is a pretty dark bit of satire, as I listen now). Our parents (presumably in desperation) made a smart move and swapped in Ani DiFranco's Little Plastic Castle (the cover art was deceptively Aqua-ish) which we were entirely taken in by and love to this day ...

... 25 years later as it turns out.

Last edited:

JaccoW

I can tell most of the suggestions so far have been by Americans, lots of Rock and Grunge. :p
As a kid born in 1987 in the Netherlands the 90's was all about more electronic music. Things like House (or EuroHouse as you Americans call it), (happy) Hardcore and Gabber. It was pretty common to even hear it in the supermarket. We still got a lot of rap, RnB and Rock of course but it was a pretty eclectic mix.

Daft Punk - Around the world (1997)

Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity (1996)

Party Animals - Have You Ever Been Mellow (1996)

Captain Jack - Captain Jack (1995)

Mr Oizo - Flat beat (1999)

KRS-One - Sound of da Police (1993)

Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You (1998)
That's also some early Daft Punk.

jsilvela

Agree, with Europeans it's more about dance and electronica.
When I moved to NYC in the early 2000's, I dj'd a party and used quite a bit of my euro-dance collection.
An American friend, who was gay, was dancing like crazy; he shouted "God bless Europeans!".

So, I had been looking for a lost track from the 90's in this thread, to no avail. I just remembered a flying car filmed from behind in the video, and a sound of despair.
Decided to get on youtube and start cueing hits from the 90's by the likes of SNAP and see if "the algorithm" caught on.
Finally found it...

The KLF - Last Train to Trancentral

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Juliana Hatfield. Excellent choice!

In a similar vein (at least in terms of the music I was listening to in those days): Jonatha Brooke and the Story (i.e., Jonatha Brooke and Jennifer Kimball)

Perhaps the only song I know of inspired by a Gary Larson (The Far Side) cartoon. :)

E0FW08RVcAIVC9w.jpg

Another from The Story

Blahzot

Juliana Hatfield. Excellent choice!

In a similar vein (at least in terms of the music I was listening to in those days): Jonatha Brooke and the Story (i.e., Jonatha Brooke and Jennifer Kimball)

Perhaps the only song I know of inspired by a Gary Larson (The Far Side) cartoon. :)

E0FW08RVcAIVC9w.jpg

Another from The Story
Thanks, I haven't heard of them before. And one of my favourite Larson cartoons as well!

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
The KLF - Last Train to Trancentral

i missed those t*ats, especially since they took their whole catalogue off-public when they went defunct in the early 90's (but hey, they did re-publish it a year or two back...)
through all my short stints into all kinds of EDM rarely anything stuck with me for long, but they sure hold a dear memory

another one, not mentioned before (at least i think i didn't see it posted) that catapulted at least one of'em into the well known global market:

jsilvela

Checking collection, and some favorites turn out to be 90s songs

touch & go, would you?

ATB 9pm Till I come

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
So... someone posted Suzanne Vega's Luka on the '80s thread,

which caused me to respond...
I like her 99.9 days even better, FWIW.

... but that was from the '90s!
so...

Patty Larkin's song Wolf at the Door starts with a vignette that was, apparently, "inspired" by Ms Vega.

PS I like this one, too.

Top Bottom