• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The pain of being a member of ASR

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

My pain of being a member of ASR​

Recently, I've been reflecting on my engagement here on the forum. The discussions in some threads, marked by contentious debates and a focus on proving oneself right, have led me to reconsider my active participation. All too often the arguments are presented in an aggressive and personally hurtful manner.

I value the essence of the audiophile community and the shared joy and passion for the hobby. However, the current atmosphere in ASR has made me question where the true benefit and enjoyment lies. I am also considering whether I can continue to make a constructive contribution to the discussions.

Whenever the turn of the year approaches, I always take the opportunity to make certain decisions. On New Year's Day 2023, for example, I unsubscribed from the Audio Analogue Association forum, where I had been a member for many, many years.

I empathize. Glad you are still around.

Speaking of the pain of being an ASR member: I've often been taken as some sort of subjectivist-in-sheep's clothing on this site, a sort of Trojan horse or apologist for what some see as the the enemy of audio science. Sometimes I bring this on myself. Sometimes no matter how conciliatory and nuanced I try to be, some folks have hard lines in the sand that can't be crossed, so it can be a bit of a pile-on. And despite that I consider myself an "objectivist" in line with the ethos of this site, I wonder if I'm too awkward a fit here and consider leaving. I mean, I'm not here to piss people off and if that's all that is happening I wouldn't want to participate. But, I usually get enough signals of support that I usually just take a break for a while, which I think is good advice. So...here's my sign of support for you. Stick around :)

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Matt, you need to stick around too. Your ability to distinguish science from preference, and expound on this in a way that puts most English majors to shame, is a valuable commodity here and you probably speak for many of the silent masses reading this forum. I for one, as a flagrant objectivist, appreciate your point of view so elequently (and patiently) expressed in these forums.
So...here's my sign of support for you. Stick around :)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Thank you for the kind encouragement. I really don't want to talk too much about problems and I do not feel being offended. But the keyword "pain" have prompted me to think about it. :)

Technically, I don't have much more to add to my current systems, as everything runs very stably. It's a shame that it's stagnating, but that's the way it is right.
I'd like to talk more about music, but I haven't found a suitable place for that yet. Ultimately, audio is sometimes a lonely subject for me because I don't necessarily do the usual things.

But as I said, this really isn't meant to be a complaint, just my thoughts.

I'm guessing the range of responses to your 'keeping it simple' thread could have put you in a less positive frame of mind. For myself, I maintain a robust and flexible ignore list. :)

Let me add my appreciation for your many interesting and informative posts over the short time I've been here. And appreciation that you do it in a second language. I especially enjoy the non-Anglophone ways of looking at things. Whether it's audio tech or wider cultural discussion. And your photos are also very good. I very much hope you continue.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
ASR is a bunch of serious engineers and scientists, many of whom have done well for themselves. Lots of actual advanced degrees and education. It's a magnet for angry stupid trolls.

And despite these things (engineers, trolls and even engineer-trolls) we still manage to have interesting discussions.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And despite these things (engineers, trolls and even engineer-trolls) we still manage to have interesting discussions.
And often the trolls inadvertently start interesting topics.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've noticed that in the Audio Science Review Forum, some folks tend to play the troll card rather quickly. It can be a bit difficult for me to always keep up with that approach. :)
Some people just want to be Loki ;)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
And often the trolls inadvertently start interesting topics.

Sometimes it's hard to predict which threads will turn out to be the interesting ones !!

I've noticed that in the Audio Science Review Forum, some folks tend to play the troll card rather quickly. It can be a bit difficult for me to always keep up with that approach. :)

Yes, but I often think the tiresome gate-keeping some like to indulge in is the worst (hence my robust and flexible ignore list, sometime I've just had enough of certain lines of argument for a while).

Freeway

Sometimes it's hard to predict which threads will turn out to be the interesting ones !!

Yes, but I often think the tiresome gate-keeping some like to indulge in is the worst (hence my robust and flexible ignore list, sometime I've just had enough of certain lines of argument for a while).

Ah, the pain of being self-righteous

MKR

Major Contributor
Matt, you need to stick around too. Your ability to distinguish science from preference, and expound on this in a way that puts most English majors to shame, is a valuable commodity here and you probably speak for many of the silent masses reading this forum. I for one, as a flagrant objectivist, appreciate your point of view so elequently (and patiently) expressed in these forums.
So...here's my sign of support for you. Stick around :)
@MattHooper 100% echo @dkinric comments. I really enjoy and appreciate your inputs and often alternate viewpoints, keeps me honest :) ... don't you dare go anywhere!

MKR

Major Contributor

After the debacle of my $30k thread I have definelty learned to use the ignore feature! Helps to keep me from feeding the trolls (they are a hungry bunch, the more ya feed em the bigger/uglier they get ... like they feed off of negative energy :eek:)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, there's nothing self-righteous about taking a breather (and better than getting into a pointless argument or over-reacting). Don't you do that sometimes?
For contentious posts, where the same points are made over and over, I unwatch. But if they go to fifty or more pages my morbid curiosity forces me to check in and see what hell they could still be talking about.

Sokel

Master Contributor
What's different about ASR and the usual old forums is the degree of acceptance which has to be proved with facts.

Trying to chance that or trying to introduce the old "I hear that and this" way can make you clown,troll,etc.,depending how much you try.

That's all.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
After the debacle of my $30k thread I have definelty learned to use the ignore feature! Helps to keep me from feeding the trolls (they are a hungry bunch, the more ya feed em the bigger/uglier they get ... like they feed off of negative energy :eek:)

That was an epic thread, started before my time but I assume I posted there. :)

Edit: wait, no that's wrong, I've been here a year longer than I thought ... where did the time go?

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
For contentious posts, where the same points are made over and over, I unwatch. But if they go to fifty or more pages my morbid curiosity forces me to check in and see what hell they could still be talking about.

Haha, that's a good part of what I meant by "robust and flexible".

Freeway

No, there's nothing self-righteous about taking a breather (and better than getting into a pointless argument or over-reacting). Don't you do that sometimes?
Sure.
Not talking about you being self-righteous,
Sometimes have to take a breather of some that goes on around here.

Top Bottom