• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Hi-Fi Sob Story

Let me tell you a little story.

Over a year ago, I bought myself a pair of MartinLogan 40is. I was happy to get them, as I purchased them in mint condition for $500/ea.

I dared not look at the 60XTis as they were so expensive, even though they’re kind of what I would have loved to have.

Fast forward to a month ago, I was browsing on OfferUp, and I see a pair of ML 60XTis in the seattle area for $500 ea! I text my brother. Bro, if you don’t buy these I’m going to be sad.

They disappear after a few days.

My brother texts me like a 2 weeks later. Hey, this friend of mine is looking to build a audio system. What do you recommend? i told him the 60XTis. He’s like cool. I check on OfferUp, the same 60xtis popped up again. I’m like actually, they’re on OfferUp for $500/ea! He says: Cool, check them out and buy them, my friend will buy them off you (he lives in another state).

I go, I check them out. They’re basically in mint condition. With the boxes. The guy selling them is upgrading and is simply offloading. I buy them and bring them home. It would be a few days until his friend can come by to pick them up, so I plug them in.

They sound phenomenal!

But, his friend has already sent me the money Zelle and he’s coming to pick them up. I can’t be a do uche b ag and not give him the speakers he’s expecting.

So now, I have to give up these amazing speakers even though honestly, his friend won’t appreciate them as I do.

Unfortuanely, I don’t see such a deal on those speakers resurfacing anytime soon. The closest thing is on the east coast or something, for almost twice the price (And no packaging).

And that’s my sad “Hi Fi” story. :)

I learned about dealing with people and situations from this experience. About keeping your cards close!

I also learned that I needed to move my 40is apart more! Which ended up improving the soundstage and imaging!

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Let me tell you a little story.

Over a year ago, I bought myself a pair of MartinLogan 40is. I was happy to get them, as I purchased them in mint condition for $500/ea.

I dared not look at the 60XTis as they were so expensive, even though they’re kind of what I would have loved to have.

Fast forward to a month ago, I was browsing on OfferUp, and I see a pair of ML 60XTis in the seattle area for $500 ea! I text my brother. Bro, if you don’t buy these I’m going to be sad.

They disappear after a few days.

My brother texts me like a 2 weeks later. Hey, this friend of mine is looking to build a audio system. What do you recommend? i told him the 60XTis. He’s like cool. I check on OfferUp, the same 60xtis popped up again. I’m like actually, they’re on OfferUp for $500/ea! He says: Cool, check them out and buy them, my friend will buy them off you (he lives in another state).

I go, I check them out. They’re basically in mint condition. With the boxes. The guy selling them is upgrading and is simply offloading. I buy them and bring them home. It would be a few days until his friend can come by to pick them up, so I plug them in.

They sound phenomenal!

But, his friend has already sent me the money Zelle and he’s coming to pick them up. I can’t be a do uche b ag and not give him the speakers he’s expecting.

So now, I have to give up these amazing speakers even though honestly, his friend won’t appreciate them as I do.

Unfortuanely, I don’t see such a deal on those speakers resurfacing anytime soon. The closest thing is on the east coast or something, for almost twice the price (And no packaging).

And that’s my sad “Hi Fi” story. :)

I learned about dealing with people and situations from this experience. About keeping your cards close!

I also learned that I needed to move my 40is apart more! Which ended up improving the soundstage and imaging!
It’s Xmas. You are doing a good deed :)

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Good thing is that there are much better speakers available.

Top Bottom