• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The only USB A (male) to USB C (female) adapter that actually works

RandomEar

Over the past years, I've seen countless USB A to C adapters and tested some of them. All of them are "dumb" to some degree: Either the USB C only works correctly in one orientation (AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!), or they're "High-Speed" (480 MBit/s) only or they don't fast charge or whatever. In my conlcusion, all of them suck and I've now thrown them in the bin, after I stumbled upon this one by CableCreation:
51OwlzgyihL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is the only adapter I've seen until now, which is not just two connectors and a PCB (or two connectors and a bunch of loose wires). It's got the required resistors and a USB bridge chip of some sort in there, which correctly translate USB data and power between A and C. Supposedly, it can fast charge up to 3A and supports 5 GBit/s USB 3.0 "SuperSpeed". I can only say that it works correctly with all my devices and I haven't seen any indication that the specs are wrong - but I also didn't explicitly measure them, yet. The only oddity is, that my power bank recognizes the adapter as a device and does not shut down, while it is connected. Which makes sense, because it is a full-fledged USB device.

Top Bottom