• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Most Audiophool Thing You Own

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
7F79D192-A2B9-413C-9E76-49A136743DD5.jpeg
I admit I bought a Nordost tonearm cable 8 years ago ( 50% off I payed 120 USD) It came to rescue last year when I put up my Michell Gyro turntable after 10 years in a box. The original turntable cables DIN socket had a faulty connection . The Nordost cable works , but is almost too stiff to be used with a suspended turntable.
PS I got the 90degree angled DIN version I bet that improves the sound

Today’s price is 800usd and an original replacement cable cost more than I paid for the Nordost. So I luckily did not loose money. Since I use a MC cartridge the LCR data on the cable are not important

Last edited:

David Harper

An audioquest analog subwoofer interconnect for connecting from sub out on pre-pro. Special for low frequency signal to the sub (?).
Not sure what I was thinking.

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
Decades ago.

A piece of paper.

Stuck inside a book in a bookcase in the listening room, as recommended by Peter Belt in (I believe) a HiFi Choice from the late eighties or early nineties.

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
There was an article in the magazine where Peter Belt recommended putting a piece of plain paper in a book to improve the sound of your system.

Really.

Teenager as I was, I gave it a try, and came away non-plussed, I couldn't hear any difference.

The guy was a charlatan, but in some ways he was onto something, and understood the placebo effect and how easily some audiophiles succumb to self-deception.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Decades ago.

A piece of paper.

Stuck inside a book in a bookcase in the listening room, as recommended by Peter Belt in (I believe) a HiFi Choice from the late eighties or early nineties.
When I bought my Linn LP12 the dealer recommended to put a piece of paper under one of its 4 feet, to reduce its friction which should improve the sound (3 feets are more stable than 4). I did it (no costs) but couldn't hear a difference, so threw it into the waste bin (the paper, not the LP12;)).

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Isn't Nagra reviving their line?
The closest I ever got to Nagra was taping one to a state trooper who played the "hit man" in our murder-for-hire stings.

it was bigger than what I'd expected, but still concealed well. Nabbed a few housewives who wanted hubby's life insurance, but didn't want to wait.

steve59

Major Contributor
I have 15 pairs of NOS 6922-family tubes that I bought to tube roll into a Schiit Mjolnir 2 and a Fi Yph phono stage.

The tubes have appreciated 25-30% per year, many now are worth 2x-4x what I paid for them.

My most expensive pair is a set of Siemens E188CC (in original box) which now go for $600/pair.

My tube collection is now worth far more than the electronics they were intended to reside in.
1 of the biggest reasons I stayed away from tubes is the fear of having to shell out every time I want to listen, like motorcycle tires, anyhow thanks for a different perspective.

cany89

I bought a Siltech XLR cable. Probably the cheapest they offer but expensive for any sane person! I definitely regret it but at least I like the look :/

506240D2-E81E-40FE-9014-4398CFB14BF0.jpeg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A Monster sub cable (which failed btw due poor construction). Maybe my Zerostat gun?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I have to admit.

I still can't figure out what the heck mu is
A lost continent in the South Pacific, it’s history discovered by one James Churchward, the slight problem with it being that it never existed.

Churchward should be remembered for his work with steel alloys, but as we know from audio, a far-flung fantasy beats solid engineering every time….

Robin L

Master Contributor
The closest I ever got to Nagra was taping one to a state trooper who played the "hit man" in our murder-for-hire stings.

it was bigger than what I'd expected, but still concealed well. Nabbed a few housewives who wanted hubby's life insurance, but didn't want to wait.
I was assistant engineer at a session at Skywalker Ranch that used a Nagra reel to reel digital recorder, one of the first 20-bit capable recorders when two of its tracks were sync'd up. We were using the 4-track, 16-bit option.

steve59

Major Contributor
I bought a California audio labs dac with a tube output stage many yeares ago, but that was when digital sucked so not sure if it counts.

Top Bottom