• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Most Audiophool Thing You Own

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What were you testing for? That is interesting. 6DJ8s, a vhf tube can be tricky. The best I have are bugle boys that were tested for noise and microphonics some 50 years ago by ARS in Calif.
Linearity, noise, noise corner, grid current.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
And is there a reason they didn't call that just 'gain'?
It’s related but not the same. It’s the gain only under a constant current condition. If you have a load on the plate, the gain will be lower than mu.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Here’s an example: suppose you have a tube with a mu of 50, a plate resistance at the operating point of 10k, a plate load of 30k, and an unbypassed cathode resistor of 500 ohms. Gain will be mu times 30/(30 + 10 + (0.500*30)) = 27.3. Not the same as mu.

JP

Major Contributor
That's freaky.

But you've got some classical on LP, which I relegate to RTR and digital.

Mistakes of the young. Most of my classical is digital download so no entry in Discogs.

Robin L

Master Contributor
My copy of "Pièces De Luth Du Vieux Gaultier" as performed by Hopkinson Smith, Astree 8703, with green marker on the rim. I used to have sorts of Audiophool crap, but his pretty much is the last example of my previously wayward ways:

DSCF5123.JPG

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I still can't figure out what the heck mu is
What is Mu-metal?
Mu-metal is a nickel-iron alloy with very high magnetic permeability that has a low coercivity that saturates at low magnetic fields, resulting in excellent shielding properties. Magnetic shielding works by redirecting the propagation of magnetic field lines so that magnetic flux flows through the walls of the shield itself, by-passing the inside of the vacuum chamber.
Chemical Composition:
MuMETAL® Chemical Composition % In Weight*
Nickel (Ni) 80-82%
Molybdenum (Mo) 3.5-6%
Manganese (Mn) 0.8% max
Silicon (Si) 0.5% max
Cobalt 0.5% max
Copper 0.30% max
Chromium 0.30% max
Phosphorus 0.02% max
Sulfur 0.01% max
Carbon (C) 0.05% max
Iron (Fe) Balance

From <http://www.mu-metal.com/technical-data.html>
Then, there is that other 'mu' or the greek letter μ, which represents one millionth, or 1e−6.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
What is Mu-metal?
Mu-metal is a nickel-iron alloy with very high magnetic permeability that has a low coercivity that saturates at low magnetic fields, resulting in excellent shielding properties. Magnetic shielding works by redirecting the propagation of magnetic field lines so that magnetic flux flows through the walls of the shield itself, by-passing the inside of the vacuum chamber.
Chemical Composition:
MuMETAL® Chemical Composition % In Weight*
Nickel (Ni) 80-82%
Molybdenum (Mo) 3.5-6%
Manganese (Mn) 0.8% max
Silicon (Si) 0.5% max
Cobalt 0.5% max
Copper 0.30% max
Chromium 0.30% max
Phosphorus 0.02% max
Sulfur 0.01% max
Carbon (C) 0.05% max
Iron (Fe) Balance

From <http://www.mu-metal.com/technical-data.html>
Then, there is that other 'mu' or the greek letter μ, which represents one millionth, or 1e−6.

None of those

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own a green Sharpie, but have never used it.

Lessee…does a medical-grade isolation transformer count?

I own some obsolete playback media and equipment, but that isn’t phoolery without intent.

Rick “maybe the damping platform under my turntable?” Denney

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... I then added to the phoolery by spending about $400-500 rolling tubes :rolleyes: FWIW, I currently run Amperex 'PQ' USA white label 6922's.

Ha! I have a foot in that "audiofoolery" as I've been tube rolling recently. Actually quite enjoying the (apparent) results. (E.g switching from 6550s on my CJ amps to KT120s, fer the heck of it).

Aside from that, the most audiofool think I own is the Uptone Audio Iso Regen. I bought it quite a long time ago...can't even remember exactly why...but never actually used it. After the ASR review I realized I still had it around and sold it. (Brand new in the box). Except the buyer returned the damned thing because he said it didn't work! So perhaps I got a bum unit. I can't even bring myself to bother testing it in my system.

Top Bottom