• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The most accurate DAC? (with respect to measurements)

Status
Not open for further replies.

newaudioguy77

Hi there.

I'm new to high-end audio. I recently bought a dongle for my android smartphone.

My question is - Which DAC on the market provides the most accurate audio quality? Price doesn't matter. But I'm looking for "top of the line" without design compromises.

I'm talking about faithful to the sound of the studio, without any "house sound" or EQs.

Recently I've been reading about "master clocks" and I hope to buy a DAC with one of those so jitter is really low or inaudible.

Please let me know what you guys think. I know measurements tell us the truth, so I believe I came to the right place.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
My question is - Which DAC on the market provides the most accurate audio quality? Price doesn't matter. But I'm looking for "top of the line" without design compromises.

The best measuring DACs that's been reviewed here on ASR are the Topping D90SE and the Gustard X18.

That's your go-to DACs if you have a SINAD fetish.

I'm talking about faithful to the sound of the studio, without any "house sound" or EQs.

That's a whole different can of worms.

If you just want a DAC that's free from audible artifacts and have a ruler flat frequency response, you don't have to aim for SOTA gear, IMO.

DACs that don't d¤¤k around with your audio are dirt cheap these days.

Recently I've been reading about "master clocks" and I hope to buy a DAC with one of those so jitter is really low or inaudible.

Don't bother. It's a great tool in a studio to keep gear synchronized, but it will do absolutely nothing for your home stereo.

DACs that have trouble handling jitter, even from something as "dirty" as toslink, have become a rarity.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
N

newaudioguy77

No I do not.

It's a very costly unit, so I too would like to see it measured before I decide to buy it.

I once sent them an email. (TAD) the response was sincere, informative, and polite. Seems like a very nice company with kind people.

From their previous DA1000:

Since this product claims to be truly accurate, perhaps Amir can reach out and get a DA1000TX for measurements. Do you think he would consider it?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I read a review about this unit: https://www.technicalaudiodevices.com/da1000tx/

This company claims to be producing very accurate audio gear. Yet I don't know anything about them.

Any thoughts on them? One video I watched said they had a studio background...used to make studio monitors.
TAD is a Pioneer brand and indeed know for studio an PA audio equipment. They make excellent compression drivers

Sadly, I don’t see any measurements, not even a THD spec. Usually that is not a good sign.

OP
N

newaudioguy77

It’s a 16.5 lb DAC. WTAF?
The weight was on the product page.

Weight

16.5 kg

(36.4 lbs.)

It's heavy but maybe there are reasons for that. Time will tell. Until we can get a reputable reviewer like Amir to take a look, I won't pass any personal judgements.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Surely, at this price point, perfection should be expected. This might be the hidden gem of DACs.
I expect good performance, but not SOTA. Very common for these products.

Ask yourself: why a shitload of colorful prose, and the only spec you get is an SNR?

OP
N

newaudioguy77

There is nothing to be gained by them in sending one in and everything to lose.
How can you be sure of this?

Without trying the product for yourself or having an unbiased reviewer like Amir check it out?

Passing judgement on something before ever having an experience with it. That does not seem rational.

OP
N

newaudioguy77

I expect good performance, but not SOTA. Very common for these products.

Ask yourself: why a shitload of colorful prose, and the only spec you get is an SNR?
Well that is up to their marketing department, I suppose. Not every company will give you every specification off the bat.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well that is up to their marketing department, I suppose. Not every company will give you every specification off the bat.
If you claim to make the very best DAC, then have the guts to prove that it’s true!

What would this thing be able to bring to the table compared to a ~12x cheaper D90se anyway? It doesn’t make sense to even think about it.

paddycrow

Forum Donor
OK, the old model was £12,000 in 2015. You can bet this one will be significantly more. They aren't going to send a unit to Amir to test.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How can you be sure of this?

Without trying the product for yourself or having an unbiased reviewer like Amir check it out?

Passing judgement on something before ever having an experience with it. That does not seem rational.
I'm passing no judgement at all. But even if it's the best performing dac in the world it can only be a hair better than the infinitely cheaper Topping D90, so what's the point? And that's the best case result. Worst case for the company is its simply "good".

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you claim to make the very best DAC, then have the guts to prove that it’s true!

What would this thing be able to bring to the table compared to a ~12x cheaper D90se anyway? It doesn’t make sense to even think about it.
Jinx!

OP
N

newaudioguy77

That sounds about right!

Thr last time I emailed TAD, they said that they would welcome reviews of their products.

Sadly, I'm not a professional reviewer, nor do I know much about measurements. But there is one person who can do this job.

Amir of ASR will tell us if this product is truly superior, or not.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it rational to expect it to perform well when there’s no specification given by the company related to the conversion quality? Everything on the product page is just fluff.

You want an indipendent like @Amir to test it but even the manufacturer does not supply any test results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom