• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The most accurate DAC? (with respect to measurements)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
N

newaudioguy77

I’m pretty sure that their understanding of what a review is, is different from what we at ASR think a review is.

How about you and your friends (trusted members on this site) reach out and suggest to Amir that he measure and test a TAD DA1000TX ?

I'm saying this because me - as a newbie I don't have a reputation on this site, at least not a good one from what I can tell.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It just looks so...cool. And the story told on the product page seems convincing enough. Surely, you guys have audio gear that you think is basically perfect.
The main reason why ASR exists is to rely on objective selection. Cool is not an objective description.

Can we please keep this discussion respectful? I am not saying anything negative about products that you guys like.
Nobody so far had been disrespectful to you. All we are saying is without any objective data we don’t trust the product. If you want @Amir to test it, private message him and try to convince him. Otherwise, we don’t care about the product as it has all the tell-tell signs of hubris.

Leiker535

But what if you're wrong? What if the DA1000TX measures better than any of the DACs featured on this site? I'm obviously not a troll, instead most of you guys are trolling me.
This DAC may dish all others in objective perfomance, we can't predict things without testing it. What's important in the end of the day though is audibility, and what people here are trying to say is that there are much cheaper offerings that are already perfect considering the human hearing, i.e, even if the DA1000TX does get a theorical 24bit DR, full linearity and -130dB or less SINAD, it won't practically matter... You may buy it if you think it's gorgeous and full of good functionalities, but know that the audible sonical perfomance will be the same as a $100 DAC.

OP
N

newaudioguy77

It's because all well designed DACs are already audibly transparent from a objective/measurement standppoint. Kllingbeans hitted at the SINAD "fetish" because the top contenders are already over 20-15db below the absolute transparency threshold for human hearing. This company, while clamining these things without showing measurements is catering to an abstract selling point, and thus sending a unit to amirm may tarnish their claims from a objective perspective, because even if they get a "good" or "excellent" result, there will be much cheaper offerings available at the same bracket. And if they don't even hit those marks, then it's just embarassing.
What if they do hit those marks?
What if their product is objectively better?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
N

newaudioguy77

This DAC may dish all others in objective perfomance, we can't predict things without testing it. What's important in the end of the day though is audibility, and what people here are trying to say is that there are much cheaper offerings that are already perfect considering the human hearing, i.e, even if the DA1000TX does get a theorical 24bit DR, full linearity and -130dB or less SINAD, it won't practically matter... You may buy it if you think it's gorgeous and full of good functionalities, but know that the audible sonical perfomance will be the same as a $100 DAC.
Really?

The same as a $100 DAC, well then what's the point? I guess my smartphone audio performance is already perfect then.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But what if you're wrong? What if the DA1000TX measures better than any of the DACs featured on this site?
Then nothing. We’d have a stupidly expensive product that might raise the bar another 2 or 3dB at best.. in a few months some be Chinese DAC will come along that measures the same or slightly better. Tough luck.
What surprised me is that so few of you are not even slightly open-minded.
We’d like to keep our brains inside of our skull.

TAD has all the means to convince us.. why don’t they?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it’s time for me to ignore the new audio guy number 77 and leave this thread.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I think he should contact TAD to see if a unit can be sent in to ASR for measurement..
You're new here, however this is not how it works. The majority of items Amir tests are sent in by members of the public and only a small portion are sent by manufacturers. They contact Amir generally, not the other way around, so why don't you contact this company and see if they will send one for testing just so you can buy one... or buy one and have it drop shipped to Amir.
the best measuring gear featured on this site. Everything else to you guys is poison, it seems.
See now you're showing your cards... you wanted best measuring. It's best when attempting to reverse engineer a discussion to ensure the outcome is sound.
But what if you're wrong?
I wouldn't care about a few points more SINAD within the top listed DAC's here, moreso features, build quality and price. The unit you are looking at is unnecessarily expensive and heavy. If you're looking for exterior design bling products, ASR may not be the place for it.

JSmith

OP
N

newaudioguy77

Then nothing. We’d have a stupidly expensive product that might raise the bar another 2 or 3dB at best.. in a few months some be Chinese DAC will come along that measures the same or slightly better. Tough luck.

We’d like to keep our brains inside of our skull.

lol wow.

You're so confident about an expensive DAC being only slightly better than a Chinese DAC. It's better to think outside the box. You can keep your brain. We all need one.

Leiker535

Really?

The same as a $100 DAC, well then what's the point? I guess my smartphone audio performance is already perfect then.
The point is functionality, features, variety of inputs and outputs, looks, engineering/nerd fetishes, etc. I stopped believing DACs have a sound signature some years ago, but I still find some overpriced DACs very appealing due to their looks and internal components and design.

For instance, I've been in love with the Holo Audio May, a R2R transparently measuring DAC, for some time now, even if it costs 2 grand, I would think of getting it had I the disposable income, just for the looks and internal design, that IMO looks like a nerdy piece of art:

May-Dac-scaled.jpeg.4ae27d3f3b0857278e72ff35584ce4be.jpeg
May-Dac10.jpeg.454733c8ba5926c72a03ca2bea44c947.jpeg

But in the end of the day I know it shouldn't sound better than my Tempotec dongle in ideal conditions, it'd be just for the bling.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Okay. But wouldn't it still sound different to other DACs?

That's what surpassed audible limits means.

Do you have a feel for these numbers?

-120dBfs is a ratio of 1:1,000,000

That's one inch to almost 16 miles. Do you believe anyone can hear differences at that level? Once differences get to some point, it just isn't going to matter anymore in terms of audibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom