• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Good Forum

SoundAndMotion

I've often wondered why many people get so intense on audio forums. At best they are passionate, at worst pathological. For most of us, it's just a hobby and for everyone it's just audio! Understanding why there's a problem might make a nice dissertation topic for a psych or sociology student. If we understand why, it may be easier to find a solution.

I speculate as to the cause, but I don't have a solution. Some solutions already offered here don't appeal to me.

If you'll allow me for this post, I'd like to talk of subjectivists and objectivists as if they were well-defined groups... without defining them, and knowing many don't fit the classification. I think a problem arises when anyone has a concept, that in their mind they believe is fact, proven, indisputable and undeniable. When someone challenges them, they find that person argumentative, confrontational or stupid, or they find them loose with the truth due to having some agenda.

Silly examples to make a point:
An objectivist may state a "fact" that they sincerely believe is as indisputable and undeniable as if they were to state "2+2=4".
When a subjectivist responds "well we know it is 4 sometimes, but is it always 4?"
Objectivist, patiently at first:"Yes, we absolutely know it is always 4"
Subjectivist, unconvinced:"But 2 of what plus 2 of what equals 4 of what? In normal usage, we use numbers to mean something real, not abstract mathematical concepts. 2 apples plus 2 oranges doesn't equal 4 apples or 4 oranges".
Objectivist, face turning red, but still civil: "It equals 4 pieces of fruit! But it is obvious that one means quantities of the same thing!!"
Subjectivist, unconvinced: "2 dollars(money) plus 2 cents(money) doesn't equal 4 anything, nor does 2 dollars(money) plus 2 euros(money)! So it is not obvious to me".
Objectivist, spitting blood: "If you're allowed to stay in this forum, I'm leaving".

While a subjectivist may state:"I saw a fire-engine-red Bentley yesterday. It looked odd". He sees this as his observation, and obviously not really disputable. It was bright red and his opinion was that it was odd.
Perhaps an objectivist responds:"You know ALL perceptions are subject to expectation bias, confirmation bias, placebo effect and the conditions during the test. Did you do any bias-controlled observations, being sure to match lighting conditions for any comparison?"
Subjectivist, dumbfounded: "Uh, I know what I saw. It was red and I thought it odd".
Objectivist, frustrated that the other doesn't get the science of it: "Calibrated spectrophotometer evaluation of the color and statistically significant double-blind modified BS.1116-style oddness test, or it never happened"
Subjectivist, giving it a last chance: "C'mon, look at this picture. Is is red?"
Objectivist, given up: "That's a fire engine. The vehicles have to be matched. It's your life; you can be delusional and ignorant, if you want"
Subjectivist, spitting blood: "If you're allowed to stay in this forum, I'm leaving".

Of course, they're silly. But when it comes to the general idea of "audibility", both groups are as convinced as the first objectivist and the second subjectivist, they they offer facts that are indisputable. I think both groups need to tolerate someone from the other group believing that what they are saying may not be true, then accepting it and moving on. No endless attempts to persuade.

So what can be done? It seems most suggestions I've read include some sort of homogeneity rules: we don't want any of THOSE people here. THEY are disruptive and love to argue in circles. Exclude THEM and we can have a good forum. I have to admit that there are few or no racial problems in whites-only clubs, very little or no sexual harassment in men-only groups, but I like the diversity of hearing both subjectivist and objectivist ideas, stories, comments, AS LONG AS THEY ARE CIVIL. Yes, I would like homogenous, in terms of civility.

Before joining ASR, another member and I lamented that we were frustrated that audio forums are so contentious, and filled with people ready to fight. We want to find a forum that was "dominated by somewhat-knowledgable, open-minded skeptics. A mixture of subj/obj, but with humility and curiosity and fun being the dominant traits"
We both independently joined ASR, hoping....

What are your thoughts?

p.s. I hope Blumlein88 returns and everyone who can discuss this hobby civilly stays.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
This is all well and good but this IS primarily a science forum. By definition it does exclude the typical unsubstantiated subjectivist ramblings and nonsense you see on other forums.

So why should it tolerate individuals that want to turn it into a subjectivist forum? Why should it tolerate those that are incapable of discussing issues in a scientific way? To do so would just detract from the forums purpose and make it just the same as the other dross that's out there.

I simply don't buy into, or agree with this politically correct "put up with anyone and anything" attitude. Sorry.

If you want unsubstantiated subjective discussion, then there are plenty of other outlets for that.

Just to clarify my stance, I find it perfectly acceptable to make subjective observations or ask questions. " I hear X" or "I get this impression" why do you think this is? Or indeed suggest a hypothesis, discuss it and maybe make up some tests to evaluate the proposition.

However if you come here and state your cryogenically treated mains lead made a massive difference ( added air and space ;) ), I hear it therefore it is, then I for one will point and laugh at you. I don't respect everyone or all opinions. I have no requirement to, and I see no reason not to express that.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My thoughts are that all of the above is fair and makes good sense in an audiophile forum, but not in this forum. This forum's purpose is to discus the science of audio, and a constant barrage of subjective arguments against science, from highly prolific posters, will do nothing but bring the forum down or turn it into another subjective audiophile forum. And I'm not sure that isn't the objective for some of them.

Tim

OP
SoundAndMotion

SoundAndMotion

This is all well and good but this IS primarily a science forum. By definition it does exclude the typical unsubstantiated subjectivist ramblings and nonsense you see on other forums.

So why should it tolerate individuals that want to turn it into a subjectivist forum? Why should it tolerate those that are incapable of discussing issues in a scientific way?

I simply don't buy into, or agree with this politically correct "put up with anyone and anything" attitude. Sorry.
Absolutely, this is an audio science forum. ...with sections for photography and fun and music. All good.
I also agree I was sloppy to include an "I saw it, so it's real" example. There should not be the equivalent "I heard it, so it's real" without foundation. But the criteria for what constitutes a strong enough foundation to discuss some of the associated science is quite different for many objectivists and what is found in scientific journals. Have there been many cases of "I heard it, so it's real" in this forum. I don't mean quoted from elsewhere; I mean here. I have seen "how can you be sure about the science" challenges and "how would one measure that" queries. But I take them as parts of the discussion of audio science. Those are certainly topics discussed by audio scientists.

I find it sad that you label my anti-homogeneity point as politically correct. I suppose no Trump voters (not that I assume you like Trump) will like my thread.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The idea of subjectivists and objectivist being a root of the ills of this forum is simply wrong. What you have here is over reaching amatures who have never had to take objections to their ideas seriously and have never been meaningfully challenged but consider them selfs objective and scientific and those who have a stake in the engineering of audio and are coming from more a professional stand point.

Now this is a frustrating mix for both parties, no one gets what they need. We need more engineering science based guys who can support their ideas properly. Engage with their true piers and gain the rewards this will bring them on many levels. This is not happening, not the fault of the forum of course. It's a numbers game.

We have plenty of interesting armatures who are enthusiastic but they need to realise how frustating they can be to deal with from the audio professionals point of view. We are simply dealing with a lack of knowledge, that's ok but certain members don't accept this. They have never had too up till now so are not equipped to either.

This is causing problems, teething problems that will carry on until the balance is restored.

Now the big problem or challenge is how do we get those professional guys here when they really don't won't to be dealing with religious fundamentalist delusional types... They don't want to be arguing the simplist of things, they don't want to fight every post.

For me I don't mind, I don't belong to either group. This is not my job, also I don't use audio as a self identifying tool. I don't need to be seen as being clever either.

For those that do both on the amuture side and professional I would encourage a little perspective and empathy for each other.

We have some great resources here thanks to amir and some of the membership, we also have a wonderfully diverse music section. A little segregated for my liking but I guess that's what folks like so I have embraced it rather than sitting on the side lines bitching about how the forum is not what I want it to be.

Roll up your sleeves and get stuck in, this place owes nobody anything. It's what we make it.

Last edited:
OP
SoundAndMotion

SoundAndMotion

My thoughts are that all of the above is fair and makes good sense in an audiophile forum, but not in this forum. This forum's purpose is to discus the science of audio, and a constant barrage of subjective arguments against science, from highly prolific posters, will do nothing but bring the forum down or turn it into another subjective audiophile forum. And I'm not sure that isn't the objective for some of them.

Tim
Hi Tim, I understand your sentiment and agree completely with it. I'm not sure I've seen many "arguments against science" here...but I haven't read everything. If someone has posted anti-science stuff elswhere, but then challenges someone to backup their claim of "the science says so" here, I see that as furthering the goals of discussing audio science. Perhaps I'm just used to the idea that everything I state as support for my point is subject to challenge. For others, I can see it as argumentative. But in my environment, being ready to debate, even playing devil's advocate is desired, even required.
I don't want the forum to be brought down. But I like healthy, productive Socratic debate.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Absolutely, this is an audio science forum. ...with sections for photography and fun and music. All good.
I also agree I was sloppy to include an "I saw it, so it's real" example. There should not be the equivalent "I heard it, so it's real" without foundation. But the criteria for what constitutes a strong enough foundation to discuss some of the associated science is quite different for many objectivists and what is found in scientific journals. Have there been many cases of "I heard it, so it's real" in this forum. I don't mean quoted from elsewhere; I mean here. I have seen "how can you be sure about the science" challenges and "how would one measure that" queries. But I take them as parts of the discussion of audio science. Those are certainly topics discussed by audio scientists.

I find it sad that you label my anti-homogeneity point as politically correct. I suppose no Trump voters (not that I assume you like Trump) will like my thread.

It's not sad at all, I do find it politically correct. This forum is specific, it is scientific, there is no requirement to tolerate everyone and all, especially if it or they nengatively impact the forum and refuse to follow its ethos.

Btw, like most sane people, I find Trump pretty abhorrent. If he really believes the things he says he's loony, if he doesn't and is just preying on the ignorant to achieve an objective then ...well.....words fail me.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Also if you have ideas about who you want to stay you are by default insinuating there are members here you would like to see the back of.. A little passive aggressive in my view and some what bold to say the least given you only just got here!

These kinds of introspective threads are always a sign of things not going well. They never solve anything and only cause further division.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Dear God please ,I cannot stand another ,'my wife heard the difference and she was in Pittsburg' , keep that tosh out of ASR.
Keith

OP
SoundAndMotion

SoundAndMotion

Roll up your sleeves and get stuck in, this place owes nobody anything. It's what we make it.

Hi Thomas, I appreciate all your comments, thanks. My approach and I don't expect all or any to agree is that if someone is clearly and amateur and lack sufficent background to discuss a topic, I can offer to help, or I can ignore them. My problem is with the "objectivists" who really overestimate their understanding of certain topics and act as though their "knowledge" should not be challenged. I've been wanting to write a short nano-tutorial on thresholds. Many people try to state "facts" with a clearly insufficient undestanding of how thresholds are measured, what the number means for predicting the outcome of a different experiment, and why so many! differing values ar published.

I agree it's what we make it, but I hope it becomes something where I can contribute and learn.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

Tim
I also think some have absolutely no idea / understanding of why their input isn't appropriate.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
God knows there are already enough places where , I heard the difference between new and 'burnt in' cable prolifferates, keep ASR pure to its ethos.
Stands to sing 'Jerusalem'.
Keith.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Hi Thomas, I appreciate all your comments, thanks. My approach and I don't expect all or any to agree is that if someone is clearly and amateur and lack sufficent background to discuss a topic, I can offer to help, or I can ignore them. My problem is with the "objectivists" who really overestimate their understanding of certain topics and act as though their "knowledge" should not be challenged. I've been wanting to write a short nano-tutorial on thresholds. Many people try to state "facts" with a clearly insufficient undestanding of how thresholds are measured, what the number means for predicting the outcome of a different experiment, and why so many! differing values ar published.

I agree it's what we make it, but I hope it becomes something where I can contribute and learn.

Well it's up to you to add reasoned scientific debate to explain to those who allegedly overestimate their ability and knowledge what the reality is.

That's the point of this forum.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The only reason to post subjective opinion here imo would be as a point of investigation rather that a statement of fact or truth.

A tool to stimulate investigation nothing else.

Not to sell stuff either! ... Better bring hard facts back by recognised measurments if your going to use this place as a shop window imo.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The only reason to post subjective opinion here imo would be as a point of investigation rather that a statement of fact or truth.

Not to sell stuff either! ... Better bring hard facts back by recognised measurments if your going to use this place as a shop window imo.
Yep. Sums up my position.

OP
SoundAndMotion

SoundAndMotion

Well it's up to you to add reasoned scientific debate to explain to those who allegedly overestimate their ability and knowledge what the reality is.

That's the point of this forum.
Agreed. I have real time constraints, but I should be able to put up info on thresholds this weekend. One reality is that neuroscientists and engineers approach understanding the brain quite differently.
Just recently an engineer colleage asked "what is the threshold for (a) specific sensory system?" I answered "it depends on..." (his eyes glazed over) "the frequency content of the stimulus, and other physical parameters" (attentive again) "I just need the number please" "It depends on..."

OP
SoundAndMotion

SoundAndMotion

I agree with every word.
My problem is when a subjectivist does intend to bring up a "point of investigation rather that a statement of fact or truth" but is considered a subjectivist, he is often dismissed because he's a "subjectivist" NOT because of what he wrote.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yep. Sums up my position.
Well it's the forums position too! It excludes me from many debates but I am ok with that.

If this is not your position then really this place is not for you imo, maybe the music threads but not the rest of the forum. Million other places out there so let's keep this ASR not ANR ' Audio nonsense review'

Top Bottom