• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The dream speaker thread

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My dream speakers would be from the 1970s but rebuilt to sound like the latest DSP active models. I really like the look of 'monkey coffins', and there's nothing intrinsically wrong with them.

Many modern speakers still have the sharp corners, but in slim floor stander form they do nothing for me. Once they were the very definition of modernity compared to those old teak-veneered boxes from the 1970s. I could never quite believe how something so slender and fashionable could sound like proper hi fi. I was right - they don't! :)

Then you need a pair of M2s and a couple of Crowns. 70s mojo in a Darth Vader suit. Slap some oak veneer on them. Get someone to make you some tweedy beige covers that look like the belong in a 2017 salad.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Oh, a straight answer: I live small and I like it that way, so I will never have a room for big speakers again. Give me a pair of small (5 - 6 inch mid bass), state of the art active monitors with a sub or two. Subs don't have to be big either, just very clean. I'm not much interested in anything deeper than a kick drum or a stand-up bass. Honestly, I don't know the brand/model at the moment. It probably will be whatever JBL comes up with to fill the midrange gap in their active series.

Tim

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, a straight answer: I live small and I like it that way, so I will never have a room for big speakers again. Give me a pair of small (5 - 6 inch mid bass), state of the art active monitors with a sub or two. Subs don't have to be big either, just very clean. I'm not much interested in anything deeper than a kick drum or a stand-up bass. Honestly, I don't know the brand/model at the moment. It probably will be whatever JBL comes up with to fill the midrange gap in their active series.

Tim

You're basically describing my current setup. Very happy with that. My monitors are the DM10s from the small English manufacturer AVI. Probably best monitors I've heard, subjectively speaking. But they are sold internet direct, so can prove difficult to find somewhere to audition them. JBL will probably provide better value for money though.

For subwoofers I can heartily recommend Ken Kreisel DXD 808. Perhaps the cleanest sub Ive heard (subjectively speaking again), and they do have a measured level of distortion that is exceptionally low.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Oh, a straight answer:Honestly, I don't know the brand/model at the moment. It probably will be whatever JBL comes up with to fill the midrange gap in their active series.

Tim

I keep waiting for JBL Pro to make an active version of the 7 series, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't know. I have heard Wilson in the past, not even worth walking in the door these days, but have never been completely overwhelmed by them
I've heard Wilsons at shows but not for at least 20 years now, so it's unfair of me to review the new SOTA from them.
I will say that personally I'm opposed to designs that try to use a large number of different drivers and then attempt to make them sound as one musical source thru any variety of means.
The KISS principle tells the engineer in me that there ultimately is a better way. ;)
YMMV

Phelonious Ponk

You're basically describing my current setup. Very happy with that. My monitors are the DM10s from the small English manufacturer AVI. Probably best monitors I've heard, subjectively speaking. But they are sold internet direct, so can prove difficult to find somewhere to audition them. JBL will probably provide better value for money though.

For subwoofers I can heartily recommend Ken Kreisel DXD 808. Perhaps the cleanest sub Ive heard (subjectively speaking again), and they do have a measured level of distortion that is exceptionally low.

What are the odds? My monitors are ADM 9.1s. A couple of generations out of date and they still sound pretty good. No sub, though. In fact, the whole system is a hard drive full of files, an Apple TV and the AVIs. Controllable from my phone, iPad, laptop, or the Apple TV itself. Functionally, ergonomically, it is almost perfect. The lack of visual feedback for the pre is a pain sometimes.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

I've heard Wilsons at shows but not for at least 20 years now, so it's unfair of me to review the new SOTA from them.
I will say that personally I'm opposed to designs that try to use a large number of different drivers and then attempt to make them sound as one musical source thru any variety of means.
The KISS principle tells the engineer in me that there ultimately is a better way. ;)
YMMV

There is. 2-ways and a sub.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

I keep waiting for JBL Pro to make an active version of the 7 series, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Seems like they'd put something in there. There is currently nothing active between the M2s and the LSR 308. It's a huge gap.

Tim

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
$4,000 for a pair of the 708P, but it's quite the feature set. Probably as much speaker as any home user would need unless into EDM, in which, add subs.
Is there any objective logical argument a pair of fancy audiophile speakers ( like tad compact reference) combined with some fancy amps ( say dans momentum monoblocks) all linked up with Odin 2 cable achieve higher musical fidelity than these JBL 708P Studio Monitors?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Is there any objective logical argument a pair of fancy audiophile speakers ( like tad compact reference) combined with some fancy amps ( say dans momentum monoblocks) all linked up with Odin 2 cable achieve higher musical fidelity than these JBL 708P Studio Monitors?

It's objectively difficult for a passive crossover to beat a good, optimized DSP crossover, no matter how much money you throw at it.

And certainly really tough to argue you could do better for the same money (speakers + DSP + amps) using passive pieces.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:
Top Bottom