• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The dream speaker thread

D

Deleted member 12

If you could afford any speaker in the world, what would it be....

The new Wilson Wamm is going to be high on most people's list...at a entry price of $685K.

Other contenders? Or would the new Wamm do it for you?:confused:

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Magico Ultimate, if they ever finally come to market.

If they do not come to market, then Cessaro Omega 1 with bass horns.

iridium.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If you could afford any speaker in the world, what would it be....

The new Wilson Wamm is going to be high on most people's list...at a entry price of $685K.

Other contenders? Or would the new Wamm do it for you?:confused:

I think the WAMM is ghastly. I've never lusted for it.

I'd probably go for the Dynaudio Evidence Master M5P. It's a mere $100k.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
My dream speakers would be from the 1970s but rebuilt to sound like the latest DSP active models. I really like the look of 'monkey coffins', and there's nothing intrinsically wrong with them.

Many modern speakers still have the sharp corners, but in slim floor stander form they do nothing for me. Once they were the very definition of modernity compared to those old teak-veneered boxes from the 1970s. I could never quite believe how something so slender and fashionable could sound like proper hi fi. I was right - they don't! :)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My dream speakers would be from the 1970s but rebuilt to sound like the latest DSP active models. I really like the look of 'monkey coffins', and there's nothing intrinsically wrong with them.

Many modern speakers still have the sharp corners, but in slim floor stander form they do nothing for me. Once they were the very definition of modernity compared to those old teak-veneered boxes from the 1970s. I could never quite believe how something so slender and fashionable could sound like proper hi fi. I was right - they don't! :)

Oh so you'll be wanting these, then:

Klipsh-Heritage-Wireleess-The-Fifteen.jpg

fas42

Major Contributor
Probably Klipsch Palladium ...

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My dream speaker has the clarity and imaging of a kick-ass active monitor when listened to in the nearfield, with close to no driver distortion and diffraction from the cabinet, together with the ease and naturalness in the bass region of large speakers with oversized bass drivers. PLUS, they present a super clear stereo image, BUT fill the whole room with sound. That might be a tall order.

So I'll have to nominate three:
1. Morrison Audio, Model 19: http://www.morrisonaudio.com/speakers/

I haven't heard them, but based on specifications and measurements (sent to me from the manufacturer) they seem to tick all my boxes - can be listened to in the near-field to provide a razor sharp stereo image, and also fill the whole room with an even soundfield as they are true omnis. And they're run actively and with DSP of course. Ideally to be used with two matching subs from the same manufacturer.

2. Oversized DIY horn speakers together with an oversized bass system, such as these:
system1.jpg

(what's not to like?)

3. A high end CBT speaker, which also combines the possibility for near-field listening together with room filling sound. Would like a model with much better drivers than the ones which are currently manufactured:
attachment.php

(disclaimer: I have no idea who these guys are)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My dream speaker has the clarity and imaging of a kick-ass active monitor when listened to in the nearfield, with close to no driver distortion and diffraction from the cabinet, together with the ease and naturalness in the bass region of large speakers with oversized bass drivers. PLUS, they present a super clear stereo image, BUT fill the whole room with sound. That might be a tall order.

So I'll have to nominate three:
1. Morrison Audio, Model 19: http://www.morrisonaudio.com/speakers/

I haven't heard them, but based on specifications and measurements (sent to me from the manufacturer) they seem to tick all my boxes - can be listened to in the near-field to provide a razor sharp stereo image, and also fill the whole room with an even soundfield as they are true omnis. And they're run actively and with DSP of course. Ideally to be used with two matching subs from the same manufacturer.

2. Oversized DIY horn speakers together with an oversized bass system, such as these:
system1.jpg

(what's not to like?)

3. A high end CBT speaker, which also combines the possibility for near-field listening together with room filling sound. Would like a model with much better drivers than the ones which are currently manufactured:
attachment.php

(disclaimer: I have no idea who these guys are)

Somebody likes it big.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Of course! Small speakers are for girlie men, to paraphrase Arnold back when he was governor.

I'd have to buy a new, bigger house to accommodate those.

Those tiny British living spaces must be why they're so good at little 2-ways.

Or they're just girlie men.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd have to buy a new, bigger house to accommodate those.

Those tiny British living spaces must be why they're so good at little 2-ways.

Or they're just girlie men.

I know... but this is the dream speaker thread, after all. The Morrisons are probably the only ones on my list that will be domestically acceptable to my wife. Too expensive for me at the moment, but maybe in a couple of years.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Oh so you'll be wanting these, then:

Klipsh-Heritage-Wireleess-The-Fifteen.jpg

Nice boxes. I'd rip out the horns and try to replace them with a mid and tweeter on an aesthetically pleasing panel of some sort.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think my dream speakers are those promised, but not yet delivered. They used ultrasonic sources, and worked something like class D switching amps with the air as a filter. Modulated properly the interference of multiple ultra-sonic sources could demodulate sound below 20 khz at chosen places in space. Literally sound out of the thin air. Developed properly those should allow multi-channel, controlled directionality and even full sound field reconstruction without even using a genuine speakers. It has been about 10 years since a couple companies promised those soon. Something happened. Must have been bought out, shutup and shut down by the high end mafia.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
All things considered, I think I already have my dream speakers.

I can sit in the right spot, relax, close my eyes, and dream away.

One of my subjective "how good was it?" metrics is the length of time after the music stops that it takes for me to realize it has stopped.

Ok, if I have to pick one, send me the $685k for the WAMM and I'll spend $80k of it on some Neoliths. That leaves a little leftovers for further experimentation. Should be enough.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Pretty sure the JBL M2s with Mark Levinson electronics would do it for me.
And a proper room of course!
L1000830.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
All things considered, I think I already have my dream speakers.
I can sit in the right spot, relax, close my eyes, and dream away.
I can dig that Ray. My current rig isn't nirvana, but it does sound very good and pleases me.
I learned some time back if I stop focusing on what I could or might have (dreaming of upgrades) , and tune into whats in front of me things are better all around.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I think my dream speakers are those promised, but not yet delivered. They used ultrasonic sources, and worked something like class D switching amps with the air as a filter. Modulated properly the interference of multiple ultra-sonic sources could demodulate sound below 20 khz at chosen places in space. Literally sound out of the thin air. Developed properly those should allow multi-channel, controlled directionality and even full sound field reconstruction without even using a genuine speakers. It has been about 10 years since a couple companies promised those soon. Something happened. Must have been bought out, shutup and shut down by the high end mafia.
There's a problem. Maybe it works for museum cabinets etc. but to get it loud you'd need pretty intense ultrasound.
For the nonlinear effect to occur, relatively high intensity ultrasonics are required. The SPL involved was typically greater than 100 dB of ultrasound at a nominal distance of 1 m from the face of the ultrasonic transducer. Exposure to more intense ultrasound over 140 dB near the audible range (20–40 kHz) can lead to a syndrome involving manifestations of nausea, headache, tinnitus, pain, dizziness and fatigue...
And as always, the question is: why? If the aim is to eliminate the room, couldn't you just wear headphones? (with head tracking if you like)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Knowing what I think know now :).. I would go toward the M2 but, being an audiophile and a High Ender at heart would have preferred my choice of electronics... The 4367 may be the answer ... or S9800 or the K2 or another JBL Horn-based.

In my world view below 80 Hz is best handled by multiple subs

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I don't know. I have heard Wilson in the past, not even worth walking in the door these days, but have never been completely overwhelmed by them. Great speakers, sure, but appreciating their subtleties is beyond my ken... On my short list are Magnepan 3.7, 20.7; Sanders Model 10; Salk; maybe B&W; Revel; and, I've have a listen to the latest Sound Labs and Martin Logans. I have plebian tastes... I'd like to hear some Magico's sometime just so I can say I have. I had actually planned to replace my old Maggies in the next couple of months, but other things have come up, as usual. At this rate by the time I can finally upgrade it won't matter as I'll be too deaf to hear them anymore.

To me one of the biggest obstacles is being able to listen to all the speakers, preferably in my own home. A lot of the high-end models (even Magnepan's) are simply not available anywhere around here; you have to travel to one of the coasts to hear them.

I wonder what it'd be like to assemble a modern equivalent of the old HQD system?

I need a bigger house...

Top Bottom