• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The dream speaker thread

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I bought a pair of the Emerald Physics CS2.7's used a while back. I really love them. I am a fan of open types of speakers, Magnepans, and others. So this open baffle design really works for me.

View attachment 211462
Wow, talk about diggin up bones. LOL
I never had the opportunity to hear them or relatives.
I still find them an interesting design and I like the looks.
Glad your happy with your purchase.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I generally like best what I have seen, listened to and touched myself. For speakers it´d be these two:

KEF-Blade-One-Meta-colors-scaled-1.jpg

Nautilus_customcolors_1440x1620.jpg

With money burning in my pocket, I´d go for the Blades without hesitation.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I generally like best what I have seen, listened to and touched myself. For speakers it´d be these two:

With money burning in my pocket, I´d go for the Blades without hesitation.
I've heard the Blades a couple times and thought they sounded very good.
But $35,000 good? :rolleyes:

The $60,000 B&W Nautilus is the fuglyest speaker I've ever seen. :facepalm:
YMMV

Given the funds and room I'll take a pair of the new Klipsch Jubilee's at $35,000
Klipsch-Jubilee-Carousel-1.png

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I like both on terms of sound performance, I agree the look of the Nautilus is terrible. Price? The Blade are super expensive and the kind I cannot afford even saving for years. But I haven´t listened to Carcass on a better pair of speakers than those...

sq225917

Major Contributor
Whatever works in my room. A set of the Grim Audio speakers would be nice,bit ugly

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
8Cs are easier to integrate, Grimm still recommend pulling them out into the room, although you can adjust toe-in cross in front etc.
Keith

sq225917

Major Contributor
I've heard the 8c numerous times, at homes and shows, never liked them. They've always struck me as distinctly average.

Though that may be user setup error.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Really, they are anything but, certainly better than the LS1’s.
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Personally I've always been of the opinion that with speakers, like everything else, there is a point of diminishing returns.
There are well designed speakers that can offer a listener a very clear (I won't use transparent here) window into the actual
sound of a recording without having to spend home ownership levels of money. I'd guess somewhere around $1k the pair.
BUT, keeping that "clear window" as a constant, you do have to add into the equation, how big is your room, how much SPL do you desire, how deep is the bass you desire? Those add-on's can escalate the costs greatly.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Personally I've always been of the opinion that speakers, like everything else, there is a point of diminishing returns.
There are well designed speakers that can offer a listener a very clear (I won't us transparent here) window into the actual
sound of a recording without having to spend home ownership levels of money. I'd guess somewhere around $1k the pair.
BUT, keeping that "clear window" as a constant, you do have to add into the equation, how big is your room, how much SPL do you desire, how deep is the bass you desire? Those add-on's can escalate the costs greatly.
Wait for manufacturers to realize they can add RGB like on PC components... :D

sq225917

Major Contributor
I'm happy to put it down to setup issues Keith. I've never had a set at home.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They are so simple to set up it is hard to imagine how anyone could mess them up but then again UK dealers…
Keith

steve59

Major Contributor
I have the Blades and can't imagine anything replacing them. maybe my dsp8000se's when I put them back in service.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm happy to put it down to setup issues Keith. I've never had a set at home.
I find the most important consideration is active vs passive.
At level X of performance active can offer some cost savings from the integration and ease of setup.
Not my cup of tea since I prefer the upgrade options and long term repairability (is that a word? LOL) of separates.
YMMV

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A set of the Grim Audio speakers would be nice,bit ugly
I have no idea how they sound but $20-25 for a 2 way with one 8" woofer seems very limiting in more ways than worth going into.
And then another $12k for a real woofer? :facepalm:
YMMV

sq225917

Major Contributor
Yeh, they ain't cheap, but they were best in show in 2014 at munich to my ears.

Top Bottom