• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Death of Windows 10

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
We, the people, should unite under one ideology or one purpose which is freedom.

Not the right place for this crusade.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I don't use Mac OS, so I can be inaccurate. But, it seems app-store apps are sandboxed. That means most apps are going to be sandboxed.

I think you are anal and OCD about inaccuracies. The point is not that all applications are actually sandboxed. The point is that Mac OS has extensive built-in sandboxing capability. The default security model of Mac OS is sandboxing. The default security model of windows is anti-virus.
I've been inaccurate a couple of times in other threads here today, and have been corrected. That is how these things are supposed to work. So, the answer about company backdoors is usually going to be "we don't know". I've corrected you re sandboxing, and I'll add that both macOS and Windows have multiple layers of security: macOS has kernel protection, anti-malware applications, limitations on kernel extensions, a firewall, profiles for enterprise level protection, secure enclave to enforce login protections, the drive in current versions is now encrypted by default (FileVault encryption is also available and enforces login for access to the drive), and there is user level protection on some network services as well.

Now, having said that, your first rule for protecting yourself online is to assume that everything you do online is effectively public. No matter how secure you think you are, someone will get you if they really want to. This isn't curtains on the bedroom window stuff. As soon as you communicate on the Internet, you are only as safe as everybody else's infrastructure: that is, not safe.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not the right place for this crusade.
I was trying to understand where @kenji was coming from and what s/he was trying to say. I failed at first attempt earlier in this thread.
Ain't nothing wrong with crusading for privacy/freedom at any chance but I was getting ready ask @kenji whether s/he holsters a smartPhone in life.
The answer would have told me whether this personal 'crusade' was truly altruistic or fully hot-air.
I am saddened that @kenji went bye-bye.:(

olbobcat

Yes, the sooner you accept that anybody can get everyone's information, the more at ease you will be.
The more "secure" data out there the less chance you are the victim. It's like when the fish spiral and the whales lunge, the whales can't get them all. There will be very little privacy in the future, especially if you use a cell phone or the internet. Just need to let it not bother you.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the sooner you accept that anybody can get everyone's information, the more at ease you will be.
The more "secure" data out there the less chance you are the victim. It's like when the fish spiral and the whales lunge, the whales can't get them all. There will be very little privacy in the future, especially if you use a cell phone or the internet. Just need to let it not bother you.
I suppose a bit of faith and as you say relax and not be so adamant about privacy when on the internet is what is required is the way to go.

Trell

Major Contributor
I suppose a bit of faith and as you say relax and not be so adamant about privacy when on the internet is what is required is the way to go.

Today it's quite limited what an ordinary user can do unless one choses not to use phones, computers and other "smart" devices.

There should be better privacy laws and regulations where users can decide what happens with the data that's collected. Some steps in EU are taken with the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). But this is not the thread to discuss this.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I much prefer KDE myself. Though XFCE is lighter on resources. I prefer Manjaro for a linux distro. I like rolling release versions. By which I mean it can apply updates vs something like Ubuntu which has a new version every 6 months. They can be updated, but eventually you'll want to start clean with a recent version. Mint is another good distro that works like Ubuntu with a new release every 6 months. BTW, these other distros get regular software/security updates I'm not implying nothing gets updated sooner than 6 months. They also offer LTS versions (Long Term Support) which is supported for 5 years.

I'd probably suggest Mint using their own Cinnamon desktop as a good first one to try. I like Cinnamon almost as much as KDE, but you can use KDE on it as well.

Well had some other computer stuff to do first. Upon review, thought I would try OpenSuse but found it does not do a full live version. Quickly switched to Manjaro and liked what I saw but would not find my wired network (works fine in win 10). The computer is an older i7 Dell XPS (HTPC). Tried booting with open as well as proprietary drivers and no diff. Googled for some help, but nothing quick and easy surfaced.

I like the Manjaro live boot enough that will try it on some of my other computers and see how it goes. Am not stuck on the Dell as all my other desktops are HPs.

UPDATE: Majaro live found the wired network on my older i7 HP desktop. Did not have time to fully test but is definitely more promising. :)

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll call this Great Moments in Windows Monetization. Hitherto, MS had this nifty little weather app that would show you the weather, by selected cities. That was all it did, but that was what you wanted in a weather app.

This AM I opened the app in Win 11, and as is typical of MS, they mucked up the format, moving stuff around in what appears to be no particular logical order. OK... that's what you expect with MS. Moving stuff around. Yet that's not what I'm laughing about this morning (BTW, I'm laughing at them, not with them).

Now there are ads. And what looks to be a news feed of some kind. And a button that lets you 'customize' you 'ad choices'. Along with suggestions about what to wear, given the weather outside (what did I ever do without clothing suggestions in my weather app?).

Is this Nadella's idea? An ad for a local dentist staring at me from within my weather app? Or did someone else think of it? How hard up for cash can the company be, to have to insert ads inside a weather feed? You already pay the MS tax, so you'd think you wouldn't have to deal with this sort of low-level monetization.

I'm waiting to open up Calculator. Can't wait to see how they put ads in that. I can imagine it now: Key in your figures, hit =, and then 'wait five seconds for ad to finish' before you get you addition or subtraction.

Last week I thought McAfee was the worst PC operation out there, edging out MS. But MS has now regained the crown for garbage behavior.

Memo to Nadella: If you really want to place advertisements in your weather feed, you've got to do it in a way that will make users forget less about your obnoxious intrusion into their daily lives. Below is a friendly suggestion:

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My disappointment with this thread is that it got hijacked by a discussion of Linux. Looks like I missed the fun with 6 pages of a Linux zealot who raised hell and managed to get himself kicked out. Maybe the question is why did anyone fall for this member's garbage? You know the old saying, don't feed the trolls.

My thinking these days is Microsoft will probably give some extra time, at least with critical security patches.

I'm seeing some discussion about ads in Win 11:

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/23/...to-windows-11---this-time-in-the-settings-app

Maybe it's all going down the drain.

Trell

Major Contributor
My disappointment with this thread is that it got hijacked by a discussion of Linux. Looks like I missed the fun with 6 pages of a Linux zealot who raised hell and managed to get himself kicked out. Maybe the question is why did anyone fall for this member's garbage? You know the old saying, don't feed the trolls.

My thinking these days is Microsoft will probably give some extra time, at least with critical security patches.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/23/...to-windows-11---this-time-in-the-settings-app

Windows 11 is the new Windows 8. Totally tone deaf to what their users wants and needs.

Personally I’m staying on Windows 10 Pro until Microsoft no longer issues security updates. That OS version have served me well, and still does.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Maybe I was responsible for that as firs to reply and mentioned linux. Apologies.

You asked what happens to all the computers without TPM 2.0. The answer is keep running Windows without updates for security or keep using them with Linux. I don't see any other answers for that hardware. My intention was not to pollute your thread into becoming a discussion of OS preferences.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Haven't been to /. in years. Thanks for that. Typical funny (but point on) comment: You should start thinking of windows like a cable box. You are renting it and they control the content.

I'm reminded of that '60s TV show. Grotesque monsters for sure. But unlike the Boys from MS, those monsters were sometimes the good guys. And the commercials didn't arrive until the end of each act.

Untitled.jpg

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems to me that no new version of Windows, save maybe for Windows 95, has ever pleased everyone, at least not until they became accustomed to it, and the "bad" new Windows gradually became the Good Old Windows. For me, I suspect that the change to W11 will be pretty much a non-event. Even W10 has plenty of tie-ins to optional cloud services, even (thankfully, optional) "suggestions" of new apps appearing in the Start menu.

In other news, cooking with gas, and petrol-powered automobiles with manual transmissions are destined for niche status, while Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" may not be universally regarded as the pinnacle of western culture.

Jasperous

I am forced to use Windows 10 at work. It's a bloated pile of crapware, a toy operating system, insecure and unreliable. Over the years I've used every version of Windows since 3.0, and DOS before that. Also MacOS since before it was Unix based. I'm primarily a Unix/Linux user and it's surprising how insecure and unreliable Windows still is at version 10. I don't know how people put up with this - keyboard & mouse stuttering, external monitors randomly stop working, constantly needing to reinstall drivers, reboot, clean up garbage files that gradually consume the disk, etc. Wasting all this time with these problems is a significant productivity loss.

By comparison, my Linux machines, both desktop & laptop, just work. Like the Energizer bunny, they just keep going with minimal maintenance. And they have better performance especially noticeable on older systems. I hope this digital plague that is Windows finally dies some day and we can all run something more reliable. As @Blumlein 88 says, I hope Linux is what happens.

Microsoft is good at applications, let them stick to that and port their apps to Linux.
As a mild linux user I wish there were more robust and complete drivers for the OS. I remember the days of package management hell... that's why most of us abandoned it when we had to spend 19.5 hours looking for ONE library in some obscure forum to make things work... don't get me wrong that was the mid 2000s but that experience has lasted.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
We happened to be in Seattle the day that Windows95 went on sale.
Not the most interesting facet of my life, but it seemed oddly apropos for this thread. :cool:;)

PS I like(d) XP(Pro) just fine, thanks very much.

MRC01

Major Contributor
As a mild linux user I wish there were more robust and complete drivers for the OS. I remember the days of package management hell... that's why most of us abandoned it when we had to spend 19.5 hours looking for ONE library in some obscure forum to make things work... don't get me wrong that was the mid 2000s but that experience has lasted.
The only driver I've needed to install with Linux is for video display. Everything else: mouse, keyboard, sound cards, etc. simply work, no driver needed. It used to be on laptops that things weren't supported, like built-in trackpads, bluetooth, power management, etc. But it's been years since I've had any of those issues.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The only driver I've needed to install with Linux is for video display. Everything else: mouse, keyboard, sound cards, etc. simply work, no driver needed. It used to be on laptops that things weren't supported, like built-in trackpads, bluetooth, power management, etc. But it's been years since I've had any of those issues.
The last curiosity install of RedHat and Ubuntu where so easy to get right. It was as easy as Windows or easier. The driver and apps tool searches for stuff and auto updates if one likes that and it just works. It was a major change from the Linux of old that I used.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I was responsible for that as firs to reply and mentioned linux. Apologies.

You asked what happens to all the computers without TPM 2.0. The answer is keep running Windows without updates for security or keep using them with Linux. I don't see any other answers for that hardware. My intention was not to pollute your thread into becoming a discussion of OS preferences.
I wonder if the TPM is so deeply imbedded into the security of Win 11 that it's less safe than running Win 10 without security updates.

Top Bottom