• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Case Against OLED

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I’ve had a 48” lg cx oled as my main computer and gaming display since before the pandemic. So this panel has had years of displaying as a monitor 8 hours a day/5 days a week, then long hours of gaming each night.
No image retention at all let alone burn in.
Ymmv but I’ve stopped worrying about it
Lucky you.
I still read plenty of reports just the opposite.
I'll put my money on LED until the manufacturers warrant their OLED against burn-in
Once bitten, twice shy. ;)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just do a search for OLED and you will find many respected sources who will inform that OLED has a problem with burn in. Just mention it here and someone (or several) will say they have no burn in. Who should anyone believe? As for the view being overcooked, yes you can turn it down until it looks like an LED TV with local dimming. What does that prove?

Perhaps someone would like to define superior image quality. For audio quality we have the work of Olive and Toole. Is there something comparable for TV quality.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
One of us needs to study more but my myopic partner tells me you are wrong.
Well, you claimed this chart from Rtings can not be extrapolated to movie theatre sizes. I have not been able to find any evidence to support that claim ...

optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

elvisizer

<shrug> believe what you want, I’ll believe my 2 oleds that are running just fine with brightness in the 90’s and are used for gaming daily.

jbattman1016

Does anyone know if OLEDs burn in is worse over CRTs? I never had a burn in issue on older CRTs so I imagine I'll be ok with an OLED.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Best set up IMO is a scissor mount from wall at 1.2x. elevated so looking up a bit with screen tilt down to keep you on axis.

I bolted a couple of solid angle iron posts to the vertical steel posts supporting the glass shelves at the back of the audio rack, and mounted a scissor mount to them, and the 75" TV ends up being 44 inches from the wall behind, and flush with the front and top of the rest of the audio/video shrine.

It swivels so I can get to the back - squeezing between the TV and the speaker towers, which are about the same distance from the wall.

The bottom of the Samsung 8K QLED TV ends up 30 inches off the floor and about 9 feet from the couch.

It really ties the room together.

Why QLED? No burn-in and "good enough". Replaced an LG plasma that developed vertical lines of dead pixels after 10 years or so.

It makes a helluva PC monitor, though I can't read anything on it unless I get about 2 feet away.

Last edited:

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Here. This is the Sony KV20S20. It's one of the best goddam color TV's ever made, 34 years old and works like day one. The black levels can't be matched, even today. The real question is, what makes you happy? (apologies for the screen reflection, it's cleaning day)

IMG_0624.JPG

JRS

Major Contributor
Lol. I have a 9v transistor radio my folks bought for me 1965 as recuperated from the rite-of- passage tonsillectomy. Still sounds the same and pulls in more channels on FM then I ever recall back then.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Here. This is the Sony KV20S20. It's one of the best goddam color TV's ever made, 34 years old and works like day one. The black levels can't be matched, even today. The real question is, what makes you happy? (apologies for the screen reflection, it's cleaning day)

View attachment 277042
But it's so TINY.
Do you watch with a magnifying glass?
LOL

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you claimed this chart from Rtings can not be extrapolated to movie theatre sizes. I have not been able to find any evidence to support that claim ...

optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png
According to that chart we don’t need 2K or more for films, which is the minimum.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here. This is the Sony KV20S20. It's one of the best goddam color TV's ever made, 34 years old and works like day one. The black levels can't be matched, even today.
Any figures to prove that?

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just a side note about viewing my QN85 during the day and at night, this TV can do respectably well when the room is affected by daylight coming through the curtains, but like an OLED it really looks its best in a darker room. I think the difference is the QN85 looks it's best in a room that's more illuminated than an OLED, but still not too brightly illuminated. An OLED shows off its best in a very dark room.

I saw a photo of a room we were helping treat with acoustics that was built around a $100k plus microLED array. "The Wall", I think they call it. It's allows a huge screen size by combining blocks of smaller screens, and can get extremely bright while maintaining the per pixel contrast and perfect blacks of OLED. That room was all white, including the carpet and furniture. I thought that was a strange choice at first but the more I thought about it the more it made sense. There were no windows in that room, and if the huge TV is the only source of light, then during darker scenes the whole room will darken down, and even get pitch black if the screen goes black, and during very bright scenes the whole room will get nice and bright with hues matching what's on the screen, creating an immersive, dynamic experience. It should be a really powerful effect if the screen size is very large compared to the volume of the room. I'd wear a white suit and hat too.

Tim Link

Forum Donor

View attachment 277042
I can see just how black those black levels are just by looking at that jet black screen!

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Any figures to prove that?
I can't quantify that, but I can qualify that. If you put this set up against any non OLED TV today, it would win on black level. Put it up against an OLED TV, it would be very close on black level. I understand there are other factors to consider, but black level is still the Achilles' heel of many modern TV's. Of course, it can't compete with picture clarity, and I do have a nice Sony flat screen in the living room. My point : the old boys did get something right.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
But it's so TINY.
Do you watch with a magnifying glass?
LOL
I got a kick out of this! Not my main TV Sal, have a nice Sony flat screen in the living room. But I do have an even smaller one in the basement. Still plays great.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't quantify that, but I can qualify that. If you put this set up against any non OLED TV today, it would win on black level. Put it up against an OLED TV, it would be very close on black level. I understand there are other factors to consider, but black level is still the Achilles' heel of many modern TV's. Of course, it can't compete with picture clarity, and I do have a nice Sony flat screen in the living room. My point : the old boys did get something right.
Your non-OLED TV is a bad one.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a 10+ year old Samsung 52-inch LED. I don't watch TV a lot, so it's like new and still performs quite well compared to anything else I see out there (it was their top model back then). If I were to get a new TV, there's zero doubt it'd be OLED, and I would never go bigger than 55 inch (I sit about 7ft away from the TV when I watch).

Tim Link

Forum Donor
I had an old Vizio that my sister is now using. It had a 6,000/1 contrast ratio. That's enough to look really nice. When I go over and watch it I'm always pleased - just wish it were a bit brighter.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Your non-OLED TV is a bad one.
Oh, my friend, bad, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. It's good enough for me. I will certainly agree with you that OLED is the best out there today. Wonderful, state of the art picture quality. Should God bless me with a little extra money, I would be happy to upgrade. As far as the pic of that old Sony I posted, there's a charm about it that can't be denied.

dshreter

Oh, my friend, bad, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. It's good enough for me. I will certainly agree with you that OLED is the best out there today. Wonderful, state of the art picture quality. Should God bless me with a little extra money, I would be happy to upgrade. As far as the pic of that old Sony I posted, there's a charm about it that can't be denied.
Especially for playing Nintendo. You're not alone in saying that some of the qualities of CRTs are yet to be surpassed, though I don't agree that black level is one of them.

Top Bottom