• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Case Against OLED

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Especially for playing Nintendo. You're not alone in saying that some of the qualities of CRTs are yet to be surpassed, though I don't agree that black level is one of them.
What is better in CRT then the flat panel type TVs that effect gaming?

napfkuchen

What is better in CRT then the flat panel type TVs that effect gaming?
Input lag ~8 ms + nostalgia factor + correct resolution for old consoles

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was saying that miniLEDs look best in rooms with some illumination. I tested that last night and will take back that statement. With all the lights off my Samsung looks it's best. It's brightness capabilities really stand out, even though on some darker scenes the light bleed/blooming become more apparent. It really depends on the scene. On the vast majority of content that I watch it's not a problem. I was surprised to see that a lot of content intentionally does not go to pitch black. My TV could go a lot darker than a lot of the content does. They're choosing dark gray on purpose and I think it is a little easier on the eye than pitch black against bright white text. I took the TV out of filmmaker mode and put it into standard mode and it gets brighter and better on a lot of content. Some stuff is better with filmmaker mode so it's good to have these modes as needed. I'll say that as bright as my TV is, I'd like it brighter still, even in a darkened room. 1500 nits peak brightness is not eye searing. I'd gladly take 4,000 or 10,000 nits. It's nowhere close to enough to hurt my eyes. My understanding is that they eyes work similar to the ears. A doubling of nits is not perceived as twice as bright.
I guess I'm a brightness freak!

symphara

Just got a Samsung Neo QLED 4K QN90B and installed it over the Easter weekend, for the kids to game on.

To me, briefly comparing it to the OLED, it looks a little bit washed out. I was honestly expecting more, given the reviews. It certainly lacks the visual punch of the OLED, and I think this Samsung is more or less the best one could get in terms of LCD today, sans Dolby Vision support.

I'll just say though, as my first Samsung TV ever, I was really taken aback by the sheer amount of vomit that's installed by default and cannot be removed. In particular something called "Samsung TV", which is a huge collection of advertising and useless crap, which plays by default and any mistaken touch of the channel up/down toggle (which is easy to touch, by design), will move from any input into this Samsung TV mess. So if you want to increase the volume while in your PlayStation game you can easily end up in Samsung TV unless you're careful, which my son is not. Hardly a friendly UX.

I ended up running it without WiFi, just to gain some measure of control. But yuck, I've got Sony, Panasonic and LG displays, they're not anywhere near that obnoxious.

Tim Link

Forum Donor
Just got a Samsung Neo QLED 4K QN90B and installed it over the Easter weekend, for the kids to game on.

To me, briefly comparing it to the OLED, it looks a little bit washed out. I was honestly expecting more, given the reviews. It certainly lacks the visual punch of the OLED, and I think this Samsung is more or less the best one could get in terms of LCD today, sans Dolby Vision support.

I'll just say though, as my first Samsung TV ever, I was really taken aback by the sheer amount of vomit that's installed by default and cannot be removed. In particular something called "Samsung TV", which is a huge collection of advertising and useless crap, which plays by default and any mistaken touch of the channel up/down toggle (which is easy to touch, by design), will move from any input into this Samsung TV mess. So if you want to increase the volume while in your PlayStation game you can easily end up in Samsung TV unless you're careful, which my son is not. Hardly a friendly UX.

I ended up running it without WiFi, just to gain some measure of control. But yuck, I've got Sony, Panasonic and LG displays, they're not anywhere near that obnoxious.
I agree, there's a lot of junk loaded on these Samsung TVs, stuff that I never use. I've gotten really good at not accidentally doing the wrong thing with the remote.
There might be a market potential here for a 3rd party remote that has none of the unwanted buttons on it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Motion clarity is better:
Have you watched the so called “comparison” video? Title says comparison but there’s no test shown using an OLED. What made you say CRT is better?

Besides, he is not using a CRT TV. Its a computer monitor operating at 75Hz, which is 3x the broadcast standard (2.5x in US).

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Have you watched the so called “comparison” video? Title says comparison but there’s no test shown using an OLED. What made you say CRT is better?

Besides, he is not using a CRT TV. Its a computer monitor operating at 75Hz, which is 3x the broadcast standard (2.5x in US).
Crt motion is better not overall crt. The 120 fps section comes.from the LG C1 and as far as i recall there were 100hz crt tvs or not?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Our family was the first to have a "TV" on the island that we lived in and there was just one state-owned channel that aired maybe 6 hours a day...
Ooops, I forgot that was year 1968 and the line outside of our front door was like a breadline in today's Sudan, wanting to see what a TV looked like.:oops:
I had no use for TV until around 1989, when my mate moved-in and insisted we get a TV. She fondly remembers growing-up in the 1950s' TV mania years... (see Brian BenBen on the 1990s American sitcom series "Dream On").

I was willing to pay for quality TVs (like the SonyTrinitron, Panasonic/LG Plasmas).
Yet, I was NOT willing to have one that became the centerpiece in a living room.
Nor did I want to count the number of zits on an actors face while watching a movie.
Our current 55" LG OLED@4K should last us about 4-6years (~3hours/day), as I've read that 6-years is the average 'TV turn-over' rate.

Before the LG purchase, I unsuccessfully searched for a simple 55" OLED dummy "Monitor" without AiO TVs, because they don't exist.:mad:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're not viewing critically, the difference between a top OLED and a bottom LCD is insignificant and even unnoticeable. I own two OLED TVs, and countless LCD TVs and monitors of various quality levels. I also use an OLED phone. Viewed critically, I'd use an OLED 9/10 times, but in a super bright space, I'd use a QLED.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OLED displays are showing up on laptops. Quite a few of machines from ASUS have them. Also, the Dell XPS 15. I'm wondering how they will do in the laptop environment. I wonder if something like that is needed to edit photos which will be published on the web and viewed on who knows what. Similarly, if the image will be printed does an OLED provide a better preview than a typical LED/LCD display? I don't want to be turning down the saturation or contrast on a OLED display when the target display is not so lush.

DavidMcRoy

Our 65" Sony Bravia XR-X90J was irreparably damaged when we moved across town so I'm replacing it. It was about as textbook-neutral as a consumer LED LCD set could be in 2021. (These things are now commodity items. You can't get a replacement panel for a 2 year-old set.)

As a retired lifelong broadcaster I don't get the whole "brightness wars" thing at all. It can be quite literally painful to watch, and the Samsung QLED solution to more and more nits and their weird signal processing shenanigans seems to come with the unfortunate baggage of nonlinearly applied jacked-up luminance across the entire gray scale and cartoony colors, neither of which look anything at all like what the standards intend, so that's out. Still, it would be nice to get a little more peak brightness to approach the capabilities of the HDR standards than the Sony and other "regular" LED LCD displays can muster.

All that coupled with recent efforts by the set markers to address OLED longevity has me leaning toward one in my budget. The 65" LG C2 OLED might be ticket for me. The newest OLEDs seem adequately bright without blinding the viewer and come with all the benefits the technology offers over LED LCDs.

FWIW, I spent close to a decade with 1080p projectors and a 96" screen. Sitting in the dark got depressing.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
it looks a little bit washed out.
Have you calibrated the panel or applied some recommended PQ settings at all?

JSmith

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OT: It is outright despicable how the industry has fully mind-raped their core consumer-base with their acronym-jumble.
LCD, LED/LCD, OLED, QLED, Qdot, Quantum, ... what's next "AIAIoU-TV?:mad:

symphara

Have you calibrated the panel or applied some recommended PQ settings at all?

JSmith
Calibrated, no, it's just for light gaming. Settings, yes.

DavidMcRoy

Avoiding ads and all other clutter is a side benefit of an Apple TV4K. I just plug it into an HDMI port on the display and use it for everything.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Originally, I was going to post a summary of TV-size vs. FOV vs. Viewing- distance.
Instead I won't summarize and post what I have found (YMMV):
TV Viewing Distances
So, the field of view is commonly used to define a reasonable viewing distance.
In their guidelines for a movie theater, THX suggests a minimum field of view of 26° – although their recommended field of view is 36° for the back row.
Therefore, a 26° FOV is the furthest distance from the screen they recommend – but, ideally, the best distance would be a field of view of 36° or closer.
SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers) also provides guidelines on the best viewing angles for watching a screen.
Their EG-18-1994 standard suggests a minimum FOV of 30°, which is slightly further away than the 36° recommendation from THX.
Therefore, according to these guidelines, you want to aim for a field of view of about 30-36°. Although you can go closer depending on your preference.

From <https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com/tv-viewing-distance.html>
------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended viewing distance for your TV
All TVs have a recommended distance and angle that you will want to consider when setting it up in your home. The best and most immersive viewing experience is when 40 degrees of your field of view is taken up by the screen. This field of view distance can be calculated by just knowing the size of your TV. To get this suitable distance, multiply the screen size by 1.2. So for a 75 inch TV, that means sitting 90 inches, or 2.3 meters away. Have a look at the table provided to determine the recommended viewing distances for various TV sizes so you can choose the best TV size for your space.

From <https://www.samsung.com/my/tvs/tv-buying-guide/what-size-tv-should-i-get/>
------------------------------------------
Sitting Too Close to Your TV? Why Distance Matters
Luckily, there seems to be a consensus on a “rule of thumb” for optimal screen size: A 30- to 40-degree viewing angle is preferred, equating to a nice, round, approximate 10" of screen size for each foot of distance from the screen. So, for instance, if you’ll be 6' from the TV, a 60" TV is a good place to start your search.
It’s important to note that this is a rule of thumb or a starting point, not to be taken as law.
When in doubt, go larger, as furniture and architectural features permit.

Viewing Distance
Suggested Screen Size
3.2’ (0.98 m)
32"
4.3’ (1.31 m)
43"
5’ (1.52 m)
50"
5.5’ (1.68 m)
55"
6.5’ (1.98 m)
65"
7’ (2.13 m)
70"
7.5’ (2.29 m)
75"
8.5’ (2.59 m)
85"
What size screen do you have in your home? How far from it do you sit? Tell us in the Comments section.
From <https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...ing-too-close-to-your-tv-why-distance-matters>
-----------------------------
For 4K models
Recommended distance for viewing 4K TV is 1.5times of the TV vertical screen size. Viewed from this distance, individual pixels cannot be differentiated by naked eyes. This means that pixels effectively disappear when viewing 4K images.

This creates the impression of watching TV pictures with the same detail and resolution as real life.

TV SizeViewing Distance Range

(Approx.)
43 inch90 cm / 2.95 feet
49 inch1 meter / 3.28 feet
55 inch1 meter / 3.28 feet
65 inch1.2 meters / 3.94 feet
75 inch1.4 meters / 4.60 feet
85 inch1.6 meters / 5.25 feet

For High Definition models
Recommended distance for viewing High Definition TV is 3times of the TV vertical screen size.

TV SizeViewing Distance Range

(Approx.)
22 inch80 cm / 2.62 feet
26 inch1 meter / 3.28 feet
32 inch1.2 meters / 3.94 feet
40 inch1.5 meters / 4.92 feet
43 inch1.7 meters / 5.57 feet
46 inch1.7 meters / 5.57 feet
49 inch1.9 meters / 6.23 feet
50 inch1.9 meters / 6.23 feet
55 inch2.1 meters / 6.89 feet
60 inch2.3 meters / 7.55 feet

From <https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/support/articles/00008601>
What size TV should you buy?
Here's a quick chart to help.

Distance from TVMinimum screen sizeSweet SpotMaximum screen size
Between 2 and 3 feet25 inches32 inches40 inches
Between 4 and 5 feet30 inches42 inches50 inches
Between 6 and 7 feet45 inches55 inches70 inches
Between 8 and 9 feet60 inches75 inches85 inches
Between 10 and 12 feet75 inches85-inches98 inches
The technical answer may not always make sense for your personal space and eye comfort. Therefore, we really recommend measuring the space to see what will look good there and what feels like it's comfortable before buying a new TV.
From <https://www.tomsguide.com/us/choose-right-tv-size,news-24708.html>
How Wide is a TV Screen?
You can use the screen width formula to figure out how wide a TV is.
screen width = 16 × diagonal / √(16² + 9²)
Thus, the screen width is equal to 16 times the diagonal measurement divided by the square root of 16 squared plus 9 squared.

From <https://www.inchcalculator.com/169-tv-dimensions/>

Top Bottom